Twilight [Paul Lahote] pt. 1

You've lived your entire life in Forks, Washington without anyone paying too close attention to you. Then you befriend the new girl and suddenly you find yourself friends with the unexpected. And maybe even something more if a certain shapeshifter stops denying the Fates.

. .

. .

  For as long as you could remember, life in Forks was dull. The only time anything interesting happened was when the Cullens moved in from Alaska, but even at that they merely held your attention for a full day before you realized they preferred to keep to themselves. They were quite intimidating as well, but you learned to keep to yourself and focus elsewhere.

As the days turned into weeks, and the rumor mill ran rampant, the female population of Forks High seemed to become infatuated with the silent Cullen and Hale boys. It even got to the point that girls would ask you to switch seats so they could sit next to either Edward or Emmett, but you merely stared at them as you opened your textbook and sunk further into your seat. Unbeknownst to you at the time, that earned you an ounce of respect from the private siblings, even more so when students would try to rope you in to talking about the family. Since you sat next to a couple of them in class, everyone wanted to know if you learned anything about them, but you'd merely plug your ears with earbuds to tune them out.

The Cullen/Hale siblings ended up being quite the enigma- never speaking with anyone unless they were a teacher, but oftentimes you'd find class notes tucked under your textbook you'd never written, or answers whispered to you when the teacher caught you dozing in class. Alice and Emmett were the main culprits who found it in themselves to help you, also redirecting you in the hallways when you weren't paying attention to help you avoid knocking yourself on your ass. And every time that happened, you merely grinned or nodded to show your thanks, and then were on your way.

For a whole school year, you were the only student that part of the family acknowledged.

But then came Isabella Swan.

Sitting in the back of the classroom in Biology, you are able to see the way Edward reacts to the new girl. You also see the aftermath and how hurt she is.

"Hey Goose?" You dopily grin at her as you walk up to the desk she is still sitting at, slowly packing up her belongings. "Don't sweat Cullen's reaction. He and his siblings are- they're just- they tend to keep to themselves."

"Goose?" She frowns at you.

"Yeah. Your name's a bird or something, right?"

Her lips twitch in amusement. "It's Swan."

"Same thing." You shrug. "Anyway, I just thought I'd drop by and mention that thing about Edward. He and his siblings are all intimidating, but it's just who they are. Don't take it personally."

"T-Thanks."

As you're walking away, you hear Mike Newton ask, "What did stoner girl want?"

"Stoner girl?"

"YN YLN. That girl is always high, but no one's ever caught her smoking."

You chuckle to yourself, groaning a moment later when you hit your shoulder on the door jamb on the way out.