Mayans [EZ Reyes]

When the Sons of Anarchy take you for granted one too many times and then drop the ball by forgetting to call you up for lockdown, you leave. You leave Charming behind and find yourself in Santo Padre, trying to make a better life for yourself.

. .

. .

  Charming, California has been your home for as long as you can remember. You'd heard stories about the Sons of Anarchy growing up but were never properly introduced until after you had started working the ER at St. Thomas. The bikers were frequent visitors and though you never believed any of their stories about how they got their wounds, you looked forward to hearing what they would come up with next.

Being kind to them and chuckling over each new excuse they fed you led to friendships you never saw coming. And then soon after that you were invited to their clubhouse, became the club nurse when they needed to be patched up off the record, and found yourself integrated into the club for the next few years.

So, when you left in the middle of the night, you left with a heavy heart and with the opinion that this was what was best for you.

Santo Padre wasn't your first choice since it was so close to the border, but a friend had gotten you a job at a clinic that was in desperate need, and you had found a decent house for cheap in the little town that was the complete opposite of Charming. The new town seemed dusty and practically run down, but there were signs of life, and you were more than ready to give it a shot. So, after moving in a week before you were set to start work at the clinic, you made your house as homey as you could with what little funds you had for the meantime, and then settled in to prepare for tongue lashings you no doubt were going to receive once the Sons realized you were gone.

Only as one day turned into two and then three, you realized with an aching heart that the phone calls were never going to come.

Feeling down one afternoon, you get into your car and head to the middle of town where it's the liveliest. There's a used bookstore that you had your eye on the moment you realized it was there and figured you could look around for future reference or hopefully have the owner set a book or two aside for you.

Walking into the bookstore makes you exhale with relief and you quietly browse the bookshelves for something that piques your interest. You found books on Norse Mythology and Greek Mythology, and even found a couple of books on the Occult. You wanted everything, but knew you shouldn't buy them at just this moment. So instead, you set your pile of books aside and walked to the front of the store to talk with the owner.

The owner was a kind old man, slipping between English and Spanish as he spoke, but thankfully you had taken Spanish in high school and knew enough to understand him. No one had ever asked to have books set aside for them, but the man was more than happy to do so for you when you explained your current money situation. He got you talking a little bit about yourself- where you came from and what you did for a living- and then you were on your way when you figured you took up enough of his time.

You leave with a smile, but the moment you step foot outside and remember where you are, the weight is back on your shoulders and the sadness creeps back in. Your phone dings and when you pull it out to find a text message from Tara to see how you're settling in, the tears start to form and slip down your face.

With blurry vision, you type back that you're fine and are excited for work. You so desperately want to ask how everyone is doing and if anyone's asked for you, but you're not sure you want to know the answer. Thankfully, before you can make a fool of yourself, someone calls your name.

"YN?"

You quickly wipe your face before looking up, plastering on a smile. "Chucky? Hey!" He's standing with two men wearing Mayan kuttes, but you pay them no mind as you greet your old friend. "How've you been?"