Twilight [Paul Lahote] pt. 2

With your newfound knowledge of the Quileute shapeshifters, you find yourself invited to a bonfire held by the Elders on the reservation. But when you find out you and Bella are to be the first outsiders ever permitted, you try to worm your way out so as to not break their tradition.

Emily, however, is in your corner and convinces you to attend. So you do and to none of your friends' surprise, you find yourself absolutely enthralled with the Quileute legends and the Third Wife's sacrifice. It also probably didn't help that you had taken an edible and had a bit of a trip while listening.

Then with as much time as you spend visiting La Push, your parents surprise you with a brand-new Jeep- it being an early birthday present so you didn't have to hunt down a ride to your new favorite place down in La Push. So while Bella and Jacob continued their little dance, and the pack introduced Quil into the ranks after he shifted for the first time, you bypassed all that drama by driving yourself to Emily's whenever you had any free time.

Parking in front of Emily's, you grab up the two to-go trays and cardboard drink holder from your passenger seat. You manage to hop out without dropping anything and walk up her porch steps.

"Knock, knock!" You call out since your hands are full. "I'm coming in, so if Sam's shorts are around his ankles he better pull them up before I catch an eye full!"

Emily barks out a laugh as she makes an appearance, meeting you just as you manage to open the screen door with your foot. "Sam and the others are on patrol."

"Good. As much as I joke, I'd probably pee myself if I ever cockblocked the alpha wolf."

She smiles in amusement at you. "Never change, YN. Never change."

"I don't plan on it. Now," you state, setting everything down on the table, "I hope you haven't eaten because one of the guys at the drive-in gave me an extra meal." You open up one of the trays to show her. "I have an extra cheeseburger and some cheese fries."

"Ohh. It's been a while since I've had a good cheeseburger," Emily says. The two of you take a seat at her table and she pulls a tray in front of her. You also pass her one of the sodas and then you dig in. "Why'd they give you an extra meal?" You momentarily freeze at her question, your gaze clashes with hers, and then you take a big bite out of your burger to keep from answering. She slowly grins. "YN, what did you do?"

You sheepishly cover your mouth since you're still chewing. "Nothing."

"Bull."

You continue to chew, washing it all down with some Coke. "Well there might or might not have been some guy that's been angling for a date, and I might or might not have agreed."

Emily's smile falters. "You're going on a date with him?"

"Well, yeah." You shrug and eat a bit more. "He's a fun guy, makes me laugh," you tell her. "But I'm not really looking for anything serious. I think he's hoping to change my mind, but I won't. I'll grant him this one date so he can see I'm not all that interested in anything other than friendship."

The subject drops as you hear the familiar whoops and hollers of the approaching pack, and you grin as they all stumble in behind Sam. He immediately makes a beeline for Emily, bending down to kiss her and then steals a couple of fries from her tray. Embry and Jared attempt to ruffle your hair, and Paul merely nods at you.

Embry and Jared plop into the chairs on either side of you, but it's Embry who boldly reaches for a fry which results in you swatting his hand. He pulls his hand back, frowning. "What was that for?"

"I don't take from your plate, so you don't take from mine."

"Yeah, but Sam and Emily-"

"But Sam and Emily," you mock him, causing Jared and Paul to snicker at their brother. "Sam and Emily are doing the do. He's allowed to steal from her plate and vice versa."