Additional Part #1

UMBER'S POV

This takes place during chapter seven when Lady Gisela tries to kill Faye.

Umber was walking down the hallway, going back to her bedroom from lunch when she heard yelling in one of the rooms.

"Excuse me?" It was Lady Gisela's voice. "My own daughter is locking me in a room with her?"

Lady Gisela had a daughter?

The next voice was Faye's, "Why did you kill Spark?"

It wasn't the Council that killed Spark.

It was Lady Gisela's.

Rage boiled in Umber's blood.

Lady Gisela had tricked her into thinking it was the Council when really, it wasn't them.

It was—based off of information Umber had just learned—was Faye's mother.

"I'm not going to tell my secrets to a teenager!" Lady Gisela said. "You want to try me? I have no regrets! Well... Except for keeping you alive."

Why would that be a regret? Faye wasn't rude or cruel like Lady Gisela.

Someone tapped Umber's shoulder. Trix.

"Go!" She whispered.

"Why?" Trix asked.

"Something's happening in there, and I don't want you to be responsible for it!"

"You'll get in just as much trouble if I'm here." Trix countered.

"Please, Trix." Umber pleaded. "You have to go. I can deal with the punishments. "There's not as many Gusters as there are Shades."

Trix raised his voice a little. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Umber shook her head and ignored him. She had made her point. She wasn't going to feed in anymore.

She pressed her ear to the door and felt the cool wood push against her skin.

She heard Lady Gisela's voice again. "I can kill you and make it seem like an accident. Did you know that?"

Faye said something, but it was too quiet and jumbled together for Umber to understand.

All she could think about was:

Lady Gisela had killed her brother.

And she was about to kill Faye.

She listened intently for a couple more seconds, but there was only jumbled sounds, and no matter how much she tried to pay attention to the situation, her mind kept wandering back to Spark.

Alymer was a two years older than Umber when he was brought to a Neverseen hideout called "Trignate". It was overtaken by the Black Swan a couple of years later. Umber was taken to the largest hideout, "Drifotin". Alymer was taken to a different one though, "Quebecen" (named after the city it was hidden in). Shortly afterward, thirteen-year-old Alymer manifested as a Charger, earning the name "Spark". Umber had stayed in contact with him as much as possible, even if that meant sneaking out after hours.

Umber suddenly lost her patience and opened the door to the room Faye and Lady Gisela were in. "You don't look like you're having much fun, Faye." Faye shook her head and gave Umber a hug. "I heard the whole thing. I just didn't know she was trying to kill you until just a couple of seconds ago."

Umber wanted to punch Lady Gisela right in that stuck-up face of hers, yet she refrained, not wanting to get punished even more.

"I'm sorry," Faye said.

"Why? Umber asked, kneeling down by Lady Gisela. "You didn't do anything wrong, unlike someone," She forced the shadows out of her hands, straining to create a dark rope made out of shadows around Lady Gisela's wrists. "You don't want to do anything after my brother 'gets killed by the Council'? You want to make my life miserable? Go ahead. But if you hurt you... I'm guessing by this conversation, daughter, or Faye, or Glimmer, or whatever you want to call her... Good. Luck. What did she even do to you? Ask why you're a murderer? I ask that same question. I'm not against murdering the bad guys, but people in the same group as you, Let alone your daughter? You are some messed up Lady."

Umber glanced at Faye and saw a cut on Faye's face. Did Lady Gisela really do that? She made sure Lady Gisela was secure, and then left the room with Faye, taking her to the bathroom.

"I'm so sorry she did that to you," Umber said, wiping the blood off of Faye's face.

"I'm sorry about your brother," Faye replied.

"It's not your fault. He was just... the only family I knew. Yeah, there's Trix... But he's not really family. We're just... Really, really," really, really, really, "Close friends. Okay, maybe he is like my—No. He's not like my brother."

Umber hoped Faye didn't catch the slip Umber made.

This part and the next part are purely unedited, right out of my brain because I was so desperate to make this story 100 pages on Google Docs.