The Ball

A/N: I am sooo sorry for not updating in a while. I've been working on this chapter for a while, but I've been busy with school coming up and my YouTube. I will still try to update more, but I also might have and after school activity that gives me only a couple hours of screen time, - and my YouTube might take priority - but any extra time I have I will be writing this fanfiction! Sorry about the long authors note. Have fun reading this chapter!

"So," Trix pulled his head out of the bucket of water labeled Ice-Cold. "I heard Vespera's coming to this hideout."

Umber's face hardened. "You're joking, right?"

Trix shook his head.

Faye's heard of Vespera before. She was an empath who went numb - whatever that means - and she ran experiments on humans and then killed them. Faye wondered why Umber all of a sudden turned serious when Trix mentioned her.

"Who's Vespera?" Faye asked. She thought that maybe if she acted like I didn't know anything about her, they might give up more information.

"You've never heard of her?" They both said at the same time.

"Umm..." The plan has failed. "Well, I've heard her name a couple times. Lady Gisela's said something about her-"

"Oh." Umber said. "Well, if Lady Gisela hasn't told you yet, I don't know if she wants you to know."

Faye sighed, giving up on the plan. "Okay. I do know a few things." She paused for dramatic effect. "She's an empath that went numb. Though I don't know what that means. She did experiments on humans." - Umber frowned - "And... That's about all I know."

Trix nodded. "About all we know too." It was easy to tell that he was lying - especially when Umber elbowed him - but Faye decided not to push it.

"Oh." Faye said. Umber made a face that said wise choice.

The door opened and Lady Gisela saw Faye and frowned. That's when Faye realized she didn't have her hood on. She rushed to pull it up, and thankfully, just in time because Fintan walked in immediately after.

There was another group of teenagers on the other side of the room. Gisela welcomed them and then walked over to the center of the room. "Due to Vespera's... Homecoming, we will be having our very first ball tonight. I know this may seem unlike us, but if some of you," She looked at Umber. "Would like to be spies in the lost cities eventually, you need to know how to blend in. We also would like to give you a break from all the hard work and stress that was put on you all when you had to move hideouts" -she looked at Faye, Umber, and Trix. Trix had moved here a couple weeks ago for 'security reasons'. "And those of you that have made it through another year at Exillium." Gisela looked at two of the girls in the other group and smiled. " And for the ball, I have laid out a couple dresses in each of the girls' bedrooms. Boys, feel free to use the dress attire in your closets."

Umber knocked on Faye's bedroom door. "Could I come in?"

"One minute!" Faye finished zipping up the back of her dress. It was mostly white, but sometimes when she turned, a wave of purple or blue would show. The sleeves were off-the-shoulder. The bodice of the dress was not too tight, but also not flowing and loose. It was white, just like the rest of the dress, but with golden glitter showing if the light hit it just right.  "Okay. You can come in now."

"That

"That. Looks. Awesome." Umber said as she came in. "But, Lady Gisela said she doesn't want anybody seeing your face, and..."

Right on cue, The door opened swiftly and Lady Gisela walked into the room. "I can tell you were thinking about how you would hide your face at the ball." Faye nodded, and wondered how much she and her mother thought the same way. "You're going to wear an addler." Faye nodded and Gisela handed her a little black dot with a hook on it. "You put this on your ear, and then press the white button on this" - she pointed to a white dot at the end of the hook - "and then your face will be hidden. I am going to go now, but I recommend you practice it with Umber."

"Ookay-" Faye said after Gisela left the room. She was quick, probably so she could check on the other people attending the 'ball'.  "I doubt this is going to be like the parties that normal elves have."

"I know. " Umber said. "But, it's good to have some fun every once in a while. Right?" Faye nodded. "Oh, and, does my dress look alright?"

"Yes!" Umber's dress was an grayish blue and white ombre, with gold sprinkled throughout the dress. (A/N: I don't know how to describe it...) "Trix would love it."

Umber nodded, before realizing what Faye said

Umber nodded, before realizing what Faye said. "Hey!" 

"Am I wrong?" Faye smirked.

Umber sighed and turned away, proving Faye right.