Past

Faye woke up to Umber trying to drag her out of bed. Thankfully, Faye left her cloak and hood on so Umber didn't see her face.

"Good morning sleepyhead." Umber laughed. "What's up with the black hair? You going emo?"

Faye didn't know how answer that question. "I- I was told to when I... Yeah...."

"Come on, you're practicing with me and Trix today."

1 year later

"Are you ready to practice holding your breath?" Trix asked.

Faye groaned. "Yep."

"Hey, Don't look so sad. Alvar hated doing this too, and who knows, we may need it sometime."

They walked over to a room with large bathtubs full of water. Faye knew that water was one freezing cold, one almost boiling and another room temperature. Umber was already there, her head dipped in the room temperature tub.

She pulled her head out, black hair in front of her face. "Hey Faye! You ready?"

Faye nodded.

"Awesome. Dunk your head in and try to focus on something else." Trix said. He got elbowed by Umber.

Trix blew a blast of wind at Umber and dried her hair. Umber smiled.

Faye didn't know their real names. She just knew them by what everybody else called them. She once thought she heard Gisela address Trix by 'Tilo' but she learned it was a different member of the Neverseen. (A/N: sorry that's out of nowhere.)

"You know that was absolutely pointless?" Umber smirked. She dunked her head back in the water and gestured for Faye to do the same. Faye walked over and dunked her head in too.

Trix stayed out of the water, counting how long they could stay under.

After about four minutes, Faye's lungs started screaming for air. She tried-and failed- to focus on something else.

Faye searched her head for questions that she wanted answers to. Who's Keefe? Why was she in a closet until she was five? Why can't anyone see her face?

The questions were murky, and the answers weren't even visible. After seven minutes, she saw Umber retreat. Her lungs were on fire. How many seconds have passed?

900?
1000?

She didn't know.
Couldn't know.

Suddenly, a word sparked in the back of her mind.
Nagging at her conscience.

Faye yanked her head out of the water.

Trix said ten minutes, but Faye couldn't focus on him. She could only see that word in her mind. Begging for her to say it.

Umber saw Faye's worried expression and nodded, excusing Faye from the practice.

"What was that for?" Trix complained. "You never let me be excused when I almost drown!"

Umber elbowed him. "It wasn't that. There was something... else."

"Sure there was."

"Mo- Gisela! Lady Gisela!! Please! I need to talk to you!" Faye ran through the halls. Suddenly, she bumped into Gisela.

"What's wrong?" Gisela walked Faye to her room.

Faye took off her cloak and let her freshly-dyed black hair fall over her face. "I... there was this word... That my mind wanted me to say... When I was underwater... Practicing with... Trix and Glimmer..."

Gisela shook her head and started mumbling things Faye could only partially understand. "Only Keefe... Too young... Mess everything up?" She sighed and looked at Faye. "I'm so, so sorry."

"Can you tell me what happened? Can you tell me who Keefe is?" Faye asked, desperate for some logican answer that didn't involve her being cursed or possessed or something worse.

"I guess I should." Gisela sighed. She's been holding this secret for 10 years.

Ten years of secrets.
Ten years of lies.

Faye sat down on her bed, waiting patiently.

"Ten years ago, I had twins. I only wanted one, so they continued to live at Candleshade like nothing was wrong. The other... I had the other one live in a closet for five years. Then, she went to the Neverseen. She swore fealty two years ago."

"That's me." Faye whispered. "I live here because you didn't want me! It would ruin your social status! The plan you had for the other kid! Is that why you wanted me to hide the fact that your my mom? Is that why nobody can see my face? Would they see the resemblance?"

"Faye! Calm down!" Gisela said. "You want to know why I never told you this? I don't want you to get mad at me. I don't want to lose my daughter."

"Why was there a word in my head that wanted to come out? I don't even know what word it was! I just didn't want to say it."

"That word... That is something that was only supposed to happen to Keefe, your twin brother..."

"That's who Keefe is?"

Gisela sighed again before nodding. "It was... It was an expirememt. I tried to make something that would finally let us win. But... He's too young to activate it." Then, as if to herself, Gisela said "and he'll achieve his Legacy."

Faye didn't know what to do after Gisela left. She has a twin brother? She was unwanted?

Why was she taken here?
Would she ever meet Keefe?
Does Keefe know her father?

Faye saw Flower the Unicorn on her bed, but she ignored it. She laid down on her bed and cried herself to sleep.

A/N: that took me 4 hours to write.... 880 words was really hard this time. I filled stuff in and added more details in areas.... Whatever.

Thanks for reading!!!

And yeah, Faye might have what Keefe has!!