25| Saturday serenade

Marsha drives out of Meadowrest and detours through her old community nearby to get to the toll road. She says tonight and tomorrow at the hotel also make up for our usual month-end dinner, which we canceled because of the funeral.

We opt to have our windows down so we can breathe in the natural air the minute she starts cruising along the highway, which should take us to our destination in about an hour. A selection of Reggae songs entertains us as we rock to the rhythm and sing the lyrics.

None of us mention the funeral nor Marsha's goodbye after we leave the graveside. It needs no comment. Her profound statement had a rippling effect that I'm sure the family will never forget. And somehow, I know the burden of hurt she carried for those 15 years has finally been lifted.

"So how we a go do this?" Marsha asks when we enter our double room at the hotel. There are two full-size beds in the long, rectangular room, a medium-sized bathroom, and a small balcony overlooking the property.

She and I look at each other already knowing the outcome.

"I'll take this one. You and Kelsie can share," Gillian says, giving us the response we anticipated.

"We know a dat yuh woulda pick," Marsha replies.

Gillian is one of those people who loves her personal space and doesn't like people touching her too much. At times, I tend to be like that too, but only with complete strangers.

"I'm gonna shower," she tells us, quickly pulling a few pieces of clothing and toiletries from her overnight bag.

Our plan is just to eat, enjoy the atmosphere, and take in whatever entertainment the hotel offers. Tomorrow we'll spend some time soaking in the pool before going back to the hustle and bustle of Kingston. Simple girl bonding time.

A local singer takes the stage with a band at 8:00 pm and does a few horrible renditions of some popular Reggae songs. While the trio of us cringe throughout the tone-deaf, offbeat performance, the tourists dance and clap in excitement.

"Dem nuh used to nutten good," Marsha comments.

"Not at all. Kelsie yuh need to go sing for dem," adds Gillian as the master of ceremony announces the Karaoke segment.

"Wish me luck," I say, gulping down the remainder of my drink before walking up to the stage with my two best friends screaming cheerfully behind me.

I dedicate my selection to the three of us. We can each relate to Lila Ike's Where I'm Coming From because of our humble beginnings. I flow with the rhythm, switching out Christiana to Spanish Town in verse two, as I deliver my rendition of the song to the loud cheers of my friends and the warm response from the rest of the audience.

When I'm done I hear calls for a second song from some of the tourists. I hesitate at first, not sure what to sing then it hits me and I tell the band my selection.

"You don't know what you do when you do it to me..." I belt out the first line of Hideaway by Tessanne Chin and Marsha goes berserk, jumping, and screaming. She has always loved when I sing this song and I think now that she has Ethan it means so much more to her. I'm pretty sure she's also tipsy.

Little does she know though that the song at this moment is also of some significance to me. I close my eyes to tune out the cheers, letting the music fill my soul and flow from my voice.

My mind conjures up an image of Chaunard standing before me, having just returned from the barber with a fresh shave and trim. I see him smiling at me cheekily, a look I now know is a product of his dirty thoughts. With his image in mind, the song takes on new meaning, and the lyrics come alive, thrilling me with excitement.