Chapter 24: An Adventure Continues

Almost as soon as the train arrived at Magnolia station, Reiki ran off with a motion sick Nashi on his back.

Cris followed close behind.

Reiki noticed the sun was starting to set.

'Crap! I need to make it home at 7:30pm, exactly! Otherwise Mom will scold me harshly!'

He briefly shuddered.

' I saw on Caldia Cathedral that it's 7:04pm now. Which means I have 14 minutes to find what I'm looking for. It's a 12 minute walk to the guild hall from Mom and Dad's house. I'll make it three minutes with Meteor, though. So technically I have 23 minutes to search. No, that's no good. I need to be sitting at the table by 7:30pm. Walking from the door to the sink takes forty-three seconds. Washing hands takes two minutes. Then if I need to get myself a drink that's another minute and four seconds. A total of four minutes and five seconds. Gahhh. Fine I'll just leave at 7:18pm as if I was walking home.'

They stopped in front of the guild hall.

"Nashi...can you...stand?" Reiki asked while panting.

"Ugggghhhhh. I think soooo," she grumbled.

Reiki let her down slowly until her feet hit the ground. After a few seconds of staggering, she shook her head and stood up straight.

"I'm all fired up! Now what are we doing?" she asked.

"Good...grief...Fire...King," the Ice-Water mage gasped.

He threw his head down and put his hands on his knees.

"Why are you acting like you just ran a million miles an hour across town?" the Fire Dragon Slayer wondered.

"Because...I just...did," he gasped.

"Oh is that right? Huh, why?"

"Ask...Mr...Fast..."

"Okay! Mr. Fast, why?"

"Because I need to find an important book," the Heavenly Body mage replied.

He had resumed his normal breathing and stood there with his hands in his pant pockets. He whirled on his bare heels and sprinted off! His blue coat flew behind him.

"Sounds good! Let's go Ice Princess!" Nashi declared. Her scarf flapped in the wind.

"Right...behind...you,' Cris groaned.

He shook his head and followed the duo. His unbuttoned shirt waved around his waist.

Reiki bounded inside the half empty guild hall.

He made an immediate left to the mini library under the stairs.

"Reiki? What's wrong?" Mirajane called from the bar on the other side of the room.

The redhead burst through the door and slammed it shut.

Nashi followed a minute later.

"Nashi!" the bartender shouted.

Cris half-trotted in. He wheezed and put his hands on his knees.

"I can't...keep up...with those...monsters!"

"Crispin? What's going on?" Mirajane inquired.

The eighteen-year-old shrugged his shoulders.

"No...idea...," he gasped.

The white-haired woman came to Cris' side and helped him to a nearby table. She walked away and came back with a glass of fresh water.

"Thanks...Mira."