Chapter 13: Tenrou Island Tunnels

The Duo made haste along the ice.

As they continued through the tunnel, Mya looked up at the ceiling. She screamed so loud that she had to cover her mouth and fell on her butt!

"What's wrong?" Larry asked, rushing to her side.

He saw his sister tremble with fear. His gaze followed hers.

A loud gulp echoed in his throat.

There were people frozen in the ice!

"D-d-do R-Reiki and them kn-kn-know ab-bout th-this?" Mya squeaked out.

Larry shook his head.

"I-I don't know. I hope those p-people weren't there unt-til after this p-p-person arrived," he replied in a shaky voice. "If you c-could call th-them that."

The Duo got a hold of themselves and continued walking.

Neither of them could help but glance up at the ceiling.

The scenery of people didn't change.

"It almost feels as if we're being watched," Mya shivered.

After a while of walking quickly, the shaken siblings came across a cavernous area.

There was a hole on the other side where the tunnel continued.

As soon as they stepped in, iron gates slammed down across both entrances!

"We're trapped! Reiki said it was a peaceful route!" Mya screamed.

"He said assuming that it hadn't changed since the trials in December. Guess it has, though. It looks like it's a team battle spot, meaning if we win against two other people, that door should open," Larry stated.

They heard the ice cracking and looked up. Two people were unthawed from the ceiling. Their bodies made a sickening "thud" as they hit the floor. Not to mention they smelled as if they hadn't bathed in months!

Larry and Mya both gagged and coughed.

Mya fell to her knees and desperately tried to not vomit as she summoned a polar bear.

Larry pinched his nose and blinked away the tears as he leaned against the gate and got Maguilty Sodom ready.

The people rose up from the floor as the ice melted into slime around their decaying clothes. They each held up a sword in one hand and prepared magic in their other.

"Do we...have to...kill them?" Mya questioned between breaths.

"I...don't know...I hope...not," her brother gasped. The air had turned thick and it was hard to breathe despite the freshness earlier.

"But...we have...to get out...of here...," he added. His younger sister nodded and using all of their willpower, the two mages got to their feet and prepared to fight.

Reiki groaned as he jogged through the icy tunnel.

'I shouldn't have worn these boots. I want to pull them off. But then my socks will get wet. Then I would pull my socks off and run barefoot. That could result in frostbite. But if I take off my boots I can run faster. Then again, the ice would tear up my socks and I'd be barefoot anyway! Or I could use Meteor. Nah, I don't want to destroy everything yet. We need more clues. Gahh! Why do boots make everything difficult!'

Suddenly, he found himself in an open area.

'This looks like our meeting spot after the first trial.'

Reiki looked back at the tunnel and then at the meeting spot.

His dark green eyes half narrowed

"Are you serious?!" he hissed to himself.