Chapter 11: Blackout

Jace opened his eyes slowly.

He blinked as he saw a gray surface.

After looking around, he noticed he was in a bed with white sheets.

As his brain began to wake up, he managed to process everything.

He listened and noticed the voices were fuzzy yet familiar.

The first clear voices were his parents.

They were talking to someone, and they were very worried.

Why?

He tried to sit up but he didn't get farther than an inch when he felt a surge of pain erupt throughout his entire body.

'What the hell?' he thought.

Jace moved his arm as slowly as he could to avoid the achiness.

He managed to bring them to his chest and found the edges of the sheets.

Using as much energy as he could muster, he lifted them up.

He tried to gasp at the sight but found even that action far too painful.

"Kina! He's awake!" he heard his dad cry.

A door somewhere opened and two pairs of feet rushed in.

As he stared at the ceiling, the faces of his parents appeared.

"What...happened?" he gasped softly.

He felt his dad's hand on his head and his mom's hand on his left cheek.

"Oh thank goodness, you're alive!" Kinana exclaimed.

Her eyes were swimming with tears.

Erik's normally stoic face was pulled into a smile with a hint of worry.

"What...happened?" Jace repeated.

"You don't remember?" his mother asked.

Her son shook his head lightly.

Even his neck was sore.

"You were beaten and bleeding horrendously when Addy and Lexi found you," Erik informed him. "The Danger Rover was in shambles and smoking. They confirmed the engine overheated. Apparently you all tried to escape in it but didn't get very far. Luckily, that vehicle has a tracking device. The Dreyar twins used it to find you after Asuka and Metallico neglected to answer their lacrima phone calls."

A major headache began to form in the teenager's head.

"Not to mention your snake friend was defending all five of you and licking your wounds, Jace," his mother added.

Her son gasped, but immediately winced in pain.

Even breathing to calm himself down was torturous.

Tears stung his eyes.

"Easy, Jace. Wendy healed you as much as she could but she said it would take some time for your body to catch up," Kinana said in a gentle tone.

'But...what about — '

"Don't worry. Skyler and Raiden are both fine. As are Metallico and Asuka. Those two popped out of bed yesterday as if nothing happened. Raiden is still laying down and Skyler's at least sitting up. You've been asleep for three days so take it easy," Erik assured.

Jace smiled.

"Oh and Blake's right here. He's refused to leave your side," Kinana added with a smile.