Smile

Baek-shi

Where is the delivery guy? He said SEVEN! That stupid muralist! What is it with this world!

'Hello, yes Taehyung-shi.' his frantic blabbering made me nervous. Care for a heart patient, anyone? 'Everything is under control.'

'And the bed? You don't assemble it! They will do it. Ask them to place-' he continued.

'Yes yes, I know, opposite the window. Don't worry!'

'The odour? Does the house still smell like paint??' one inhales in, and 'Baek-shi! Leave all the doors and windows open-'

'Taehyung-shi, the smell is almost gone. You need to relax.' he did not, i could sense his rising palpitations from here. 'Also, if I leave everything open always, pests will infiltrate again. The house was just-'

'NO! The house CAN NOT smell like paint!' his voice a pitch higher 'Jin cannot be exposed to that smell! AT ALL!' almost shrill.

'Alright, fine. Then we will have to do pest control again-'

'NO!' These singers will give me a heart attack someday. When can I retire? When?!'NOT the insecticides! Miso-' did the call just drop? Again? Damn these international calls!

'Sorry.' much calmer, he was back on the call. 'Jin suggested to air the place only when the sun is out.' only the husband can reign him in. 'Will that work?'

'Yes, that is exactly what I have been doing.' My patience, may you rest in peace.

They had such a long checklist. Thankfully an assistant with it. Jin's sister-in-law. Kim Ahreum-shi. Sweet lady. Most importantly, an experienced mother of two. She reined in their fantastical suggestions. Eight bolster pillow set for a three-year-old?! We also used her children to experiment with the new childproofing for this massive apartment. The two grandmothers hovered around checking my supplies for stock.

'How is he?' i didn't want to know. But I did. So I asked. Like I do every day. With everyone.

'He is better. We should arrive on time tomorrow.' Am I afraid? Maybe. I haven't seen the man since the fateful day. 'Do you want to speak with him?' he asked. As usual.

'No no.' It was an automated response. I am a coward. 

Our plan had worked. Within moments Jin had dismissed the divorce. Much to the frustration of their lawyers, a ninety-page document was forgotten the moment adoption papers were placed on the table. The latter describes it with so much passion; it was like a wave of a storm passed us by, the sky turned blue again and light returned to his eyes. Such troubled fear in them 'Surgery will be painful.' he confessed before breaking down.

Seokjin-shi wanted to live. His cheerleader husband encouraged it. But he was also the one on a rollercoaster ride for the last two years.'Baek-shi, I promise I will be by his side this time. I promise.' Trust me, he is not irrational. In fact, he is in his most logical senses. 'I really want this with him, and I don't know how long he has.' He confessed and promised in the same breath. Nobody dared question his intention. The man was a father long before he was a husband or even a boyfriend. A normal twenty-year-old man collects games and figurines. Not baby clothes! So imagine my shocked state to find a box full of them delivered at Jin's place just before their wedding. Jumpers, t-shirts, and shorts in different sizes, colours and shapes! First, I thought it was the wrong package so I called him up. 'No, it is mine. They are for our kids. Just stack them up in the guest room wardrobe.'  Easy confidence. That room was now a kid's room and probably the KIDS room in the future.