Chapter 44 - Evading Mistletoes

A/N: Dedicated to i_love_strawberries_ for making that adorable chapter at the side! ^_^

_________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 44 – Evading Mistletoes

     Kristina woke up feeling strangely satisfied the next morning. She found herself face-first on Daniel's pillow with her right leg thrown over his hip, her arms were awkwardly positioned on her sides and her hair was a complete mess—not to mention her wrinkled clothes. She got up and did her routinely morning stretch before glancing over Daniel. He was still asleep.

       "Wake up, butthead," she said, poking his nose with her finger. "It's our class Christmas party today, remember? I need to take a shower and get a change of clothes before we go to school and I need you to drive me home."

     Daniel didn't show any sign of response. Kristina pressed her finger harder on his nose, a lame attempt to suffocate him. "Wake up, or never wake up again," she threatened. He grabbed a hold of her finger and slowly opened his eyes. She was startled with that unexpected gesture and jumped a bit. She really thought he was still asleep.

     He gave her finger a light kiss before yawning cutely, snuggling his face deeper into his pillow and without letting go of her hand. "Don't count that. Mornin'." He yawned again. "I'd rather sleep."

     She quickly withdrew her hand as color crept up to her cheeks once again. Last night's memory fleeted unwantedly inside her head as she furiously tried to shake it away. Daniel couldn't resist glancing at her flustered expression. She wrinkled her forehead and pulled his hair, pulling his face away from his pillow. It was still early and she was already getting a bit violent—not that Daniel wasn't already used to it. "You promised to drive me home."

       "Ow," he said. She let go of his hair assuming that he was awake now, but he only slammed his face back into his pillow and his reply came out in muffles. "Gimme five more minutes. It's still early."

       "The sun's already way up!" she argued. "I can't waste any more time! I have a lot of things to do y'know?!"

       "Mmm..." Daniel mumbled something beneath his pillow that Kristina couldn't understand.

       "BUTTHEAD! HURRY UP!"

       "So loud."

       "WAKE UP!" she pulled the blanket he was lying on at quick motion and accidentally caused him to roll over the bed and fall face-first on the ground. Kristina didn't expect that—she suddenly became guilty.

     The guilt she felt quickly melted when she saw Daniel crawl up the bed. He must've stamped his face on his thick carpet because the texture embossed so wonderfully on his forehead. Adding his doe-like eyes and usual expression, he looked idiotically hilarious in Kristina's eyes. She started laughing like a maniac.

     Daniel didn't even need to ask why. Wordlessly, he went to his bathroom, took a three minute shower, changed his shirt in front of Kristina (on purpose to make her feel bad) and grabbed his keys. His hair was still damp and he smelled of refreshing shampoo and soap. Kristina literally had to cover her nose in order not to sniff him as if she was a pervert.

     Arriving at their house a few minutes later, she quickly took a shower, grabbed the loaf of bread Lizzy handed to her and clutched the bag which contained Daniel's present. As she returned to the car with her hair still dripping wet, Daniel laughed to himself. She glared at him upon concealing her embarrassment—there was no reason to be embarrassed, but she still couldn't look at him properly after what happened last night.