Chapter 45 - Confessions! The Drunken Date

A/N: After 800 years, I've finally updated. Woo! School's over and summer's here. YES! Hope you guys enjoy this chap. This was like, 14 pages in MS Word. It's to make up for all the late uds again. ^^ *UNEDITED* 

.........................................................................................................

     After their Christmas party, the days that would follow were their Christmas vacation. It was supposed to be a great, long holiday since there was no school and so everyone celebrated together. But for Kristina, it didn't feel like Christmas at all. It was like she was running out of time. She had that feeling that she had to do everything right now before she reaches a certain deadline—which happened to be after the New Year's.

     Daniel was leaving. That thought attacked her mind like a nuclear bomb. Why was it so sudden? And what he said last night. What he asked. How was she supposed to reply? He was right. It wouldonly make things more complicated.  

     Since there was no class today, she decided to sleep in. It was already eleven o'clock in the morning but she couldn't get her butt out of the bed. Lizzy tried calling her several times and it was pointless. She wasn't in the mood. Her mother went inside her room to check up on her.

       "What's wrong honey?" she sweetly caressed her daughter's cheek. Kristina's rare, expressionless face bothered her a lot. She was silently staring into space like a mute person and had her covers concealing half her face. "Did something happen last night?"

     She didn't reply. She just sighed heavily and pinched her own face, probably to make herself snap out of the bothersome thoughts that were rummaging inside her head. Lizzy raised her brow in confusion. Kristina stared helplessly on her ceiling and allowed her mother to comfort her.

       "Do you want me to ask further or..?" her mother suggested. If she wanted to talk, she'll listen. If she wanted to be alone and think about it herself, then she'll give her her space. Lizzy went through high school as well, so she understood her feelings even without knowing the exact details.

     Kristina sighed one more time before pulling up her covers and concealing her face. Her voice was muffled when she told her mother what it was that was bothering her. "Daniel's gonna go back to Europe. And this time, he said he wasn't sure if he was coming back or not."

     Lizzy was surprised herself. She had no idea about this. She suddenly remembered Jonathan, Daniel's dad, who flew to Europe a few days ago. Was it probably for that reason again? She had to ask Jacob later. She continued fondling her daughter's cheek even when it was concealed inside her blanket.

       "Mom," Kristina mumbled. "Why did you and that butthead's mom decide to arrange a marriage for us? Was it out of fun? Do you think what Daniel and I've been doing 'til now is really serious or just for fun?"

     Lizzy was caught off guard with that question. She sighed inside her head. She never thought that the day would come that her boyish daughter would be talking about these kinds of topics. The unexpected question stroked her chest. Why did she even think that?

       "Kristina," she said in a motherly tone, unlike her usual, childish, girly ones. "It's true that I haven't been a completely mature mother for you, but you should know that I'm not one to make fun of something as serious as marriage."

     She listened quietly as Lizzy continued to speak. It was strange hearing her speak in a different tone. She slightly peeked at her mom from underneath her covers and gazed at her un-Lizzy-like  expression.