31

Melissa Newman

It was graduation day and I was happy even though I have to push around hospital equipment because I was also doing my chemo while graduating. Plus I had to attend 2 classes after I graduate to finish off an assignment and sign some stuff even though technically I've passed high school. I didn't really care that I was doing chemo while attending school today because well Blake had told the whole school. I had become the cancer girl with a broken heart overnight. I had given up on Blake I had lost my soulmate and best friend all in one go but I was okay I had been through worst. "Lissa it's time to wake up and get ready now" Lee entered my room not knowing I was already awake. "I'm gonna miss attending school with you" He smiled. Things were going to be different. I didn't have Martin beside me at all times but I wasn't going anywhere so I had the support of my family and friends. My mother tried talking me into getting a maid while they were all away but I had already got given an emergency wrist bracelet from the hospital so I didn't want anyone else and if the hospital didn't give it to me I would have still said no.

The hospital will send someone to get me for my appointments but other than that on most days I was alone and I was fine with that It would only be a couple hours a day anyway and Lee got to stay home on Fridays as long as he has done all his work something that my parents and the school put together. The hospital provided me with a wheelchair while I take my chemo but there was no way that I was taking that to school I could walk perfectly fine. I was ready and had breakfast now all we had to do was get to school and hook me up to the dam machine. According to the doctor there is enough battery for me to take my chemo but my mother brought another one just in case. "Does everyone have everything?" Dad asked before he started the car. He and mum were going in one while the rest of us go in the other.

The only people who were allowed to start at the same time as me were the people who lived in my house. Casey, Tony and Jamie stopped riding with Blake and started using Tony's car they also picked up Megan today. Lee didn't want to go back to using his beat-up car and I didn't get why he would its not like I'm going to be using mine. So I told him he can use mine until I get better and if I needed to go somewhere I could always use his. We arrived at the school and mum hooked me up to the machine knowing that I could do it myself. "Are you ready Lissa?" Lee asked as he linked our arms. "Ready to graduate hell yeah even though it would be better if you were by my side" I smiled at him. I would be attending his graduation but it wouldn't be the same.

I sat down and the principal called my name and I accepted my certificate of completion. Everyone hollered as I walked up carrying the stupid machine with me lucky it was a ramp and not stairs otherwise I would have problems. "Go Lissa" Lee shouted as I walked up and everyone chanted my name as I laughed. Beatrice and James smiled and hugged each other. I apologised to James for using him as a ticket to go to the treatment centre without anyone knowing and he said it was fine because it changed him for the good and Beatrice just stood there smiling and laughing. The bell rang and everyone made their way to their classrooms but I needed to sit for a minute. Martin noticed and carried me to class while I mumbled I could walk on my own.

Everyone stared at the machine as I made my way to the teacher one Martin had put me down of course. The teacher looked at me and I swear she could cry at any minute. I noticed Blake looking at me weirdly. "I'm fine, I had to start my chemo and graduate and I thought it was better me bringing this than graduating in a hospital room" I explained to the teacher but more importantly to the whole class. Blake just looked at me. He had been coming to my bedroom window for the last two days and I refused to open it. "If you graduated then why are you here?" A girl asked from the corner. "Because she needs to have everything done before her mind can rest" Lee spoke for me. "Uh you can sit here I will find an empty chair" I smiled at the boy as him and his friend stood up. "You don't have to go cancer is not contagious" I laughed. "Your brother" He pointed to Lee and I rolled my eyes. "What are you going to do catch me while I fall" I rolled my eyes causing everybody in the class to laugh.