10

Blake Shepard

"Babe hurry up" it was the night of our junior prom, I should be the happiest guy on the planet. I had scored Beatrice Miller guys wanted to call her their own and girls wanted to be her. I should be happy yet I was far from happy. This relationship was built on an understanding. We both wanted people we couldn't have. Beatrice wanted the douche of the school. One of Brad's best friends. A player, someone who jumps from girl to girl Beatrice didn't want to put herself in that situation so we came to an understanding, well I wanted the girl everyone picked on, The nerd, the one people went to for help on homework. Melissa Newman my best friend. It wasn't because of her image or the fact that she was big no that wasn't the reason why I won't pursue her. She was my best friend I would rather suffer and be the friend than ruin everything we built and lose her forever I could suffer a lifetime then lose her.

"Were meeting Melissa and Bradly in the hall right?" Beatrice asked through the door. I had been standing here for a good hour talking about nonsense with her parents. Beatrice's dad gave up half an hour ago and her mother is just sitting there waiting for her daughter to show herself. "yeah they left 20 minutes ago" Brad decided not to take a date to prom because M didn't have one so instead he used his prom proposal on his sister it was the most cutest thing I had ever witnessed. Melissa said no and asked him to take someone anyone else. she didn't want to be that sister, She always looked for the good in others but he didn't listen to her he refused to take anyone but her. She gave up in the end and just went along with it.

Beatrice finally stepped out of her closet. "I'm ready" She had on a sad smile, we both wore that smile tonight, this is not what we had wanted but this is what we settled for. "You look beautiful Hunny now picture time" Due to how long it took Beatrice to get ready we had time for one or two pictures but ultimately it was time to leave. By the time we showed up at school, the prom had already started. As we were walking Melissa ran past us crying trying hard not to look this way, I knew something was up when Bradly ran after he tried to get her to stop. "I'll go after her" by the time I had reached her she was already in her car and had sped away. "What happen Brad she looked pretty upset as she sped away" I didn't want to know the answer. "James is what happened I told him not to go after her but he didn't want to fucking listen" Beatrice shook her head she had told Melissa that going after him would end badly not for him but her, Beatrice knew first hand the effect James had on a person she had faced that road more then once, Beatrice was still down that road.

"She just needs to cool down let's go to the prom and hope she shows up before it ends" Brad looked defeated, Part of him felt guilty James was his best friend yet he hurt his sister the likelihood of them still being friends at the end of prom was slim, really slim. Bradly may pick on Melissa but it was all fun and games for him something Melissa took to heart but Brad didn't need to know that. Melissa thought Bradly was ashamed of her but it was quite the opposite he adored his sister more than anyone more than me and I was in love with the girl.

The prom was coming to an end, prom king and queen was getting called and to no surprise, Beatrice won queen. What was surprising was who won king I would have thought it would be James he was someone everyone wanted to be but it was myself. I won prom king and I had no idea why, I wasn't popular but I wasn't at the bottom either. As prom came to an end Melissa still hadn't shown up. Brad had called his parents asking if she had shown up at home but it was a dead end. "Where would she go?" I knew of one place, The place we called our own, The place I kissed her for the first time before breaking her heart the next day. If she was anywhere it would be there. "Take Beatrice with you there is one place but it's ours and we don't want anyone knowing where it is" I ran to my car like I was on a mission and I was. I had hope that she would be there she normally was when she needed to think which was a lot lately, I remember driving past at 1 in the morning and she stood at the tree looking at the sky, the stars shone off her face perfectly it was like she was an angel and in a way she was, she was my angel.