Chapter Nine

He was astonished by the size of the looming castle and his expression clearly showed his surprise. Elsa sighed softly as she lead him through the gates and into the courtyard. Then, she took him to the dining room where she assisted him in sitting on a chair, though he protested. "I can sit down on my own!" Jack huffed out softly.

Rolling her eyes, she called to one of her maids, "Gerda! Could you please fetch this young man some food?" A smirk played on his lips as he heard her call him 'young man'. "What?" She snapped. "Oh nothing..." He replied in a mocking tone, annoying her a little. "Be quiet." Elsa told him.

Jack glared at her as she told him to 'be quiet' but he did as he was told. He knew better than to push her too far since she was taking care of his needs. Although he didn't want to admit it, he did need her assistance. There was no way he could've survived overnight in a new village in the condition he was in.

The queen took a seat as well, taking her time as to look as queen should. She tried to avoid eye contact with the man that she strongly disliked who was now sitting at the same table as herself. It wasn't really something she was used to- letting strangers inside the castle -but she knew it must be done.

The room was filled with an eerie silence as the two sat, waiting for the food. A plump maid came back with a silver tray and set it down on the table. "Thank you, Gerda." Elsa told her, the maid replying with a nod as she scurried back into the kitchen. "Here is your food." She said simply as she pushed the tray in front of him.

Her chair pushed back and she stood up, not able to stand being near him anymore. However, a slightly cold, yet warm hand clamped onto her wrist. Eyes wide, she turned to see that Jack was now holding her wrist. "Hold on. Eat with me." He said with a slight smile.

He was acting like this because he didn't want to be hated by a queen. That was never a good thing. She stared at him, her lips parted slightly in surprise. Jack lifted the silver top up and set it down, still having a grip on her wrist. "See? I don't even know what it is so we can play a game!"

Everyone back in Burgess who knew him while he was young, knew that he loved having fun and causing mischief. He was a sweet boy, but he sometimes went a little too far. Elsa sighed, "Fine." This caused a childish grin to appear on his face and he pulled her down, making her gasp. This was going to be a long day.