Ch.55 The Lion Mask

Ferdinand's pov: 

Following Rimuru's introduction for me and Sylvester, it was Soka who introduced the rest. She had been using some form of magic device which projected the voice throughout the entire colosseum, it was simply and held in the hand as a stick with a round foam ball at the top. The first she introduced was this, Masayuki. I honestly had a small bit of disgust for him already, he seemed quite weak despite all the fanfare the audience offered him. The amount of magicules inside him was miniscule compared to most adventurers, additionally it appeared he was unskilled and uncouth. Immediately after this it was an adventurer who seemed to be part of Masayuki's normal part. This was Kai, though it seemed he himself had no magicules, but was highly physically strong. I'd assume if up against eachother, the kai would win the match relatively easily. 

Following this it was a pair of A ranked monsters, chiefs of the Mezu and Gozu tribe. Rimuru had named them only a few days ago, Gozer and Mezer. They could likely win if it were not for me and Sylvester, especially considering the competitors introduced so far. However they were not the biggest fish being introduced, and I'd learn that quickly. 

The next was an adventurer who looked close to A rank, and gave off an aura of power despite having very poor gear. Along with this I assumed he had several skills, as it seemed his eyes buzzed around in a sort of crazed analytic look. He had magicules and much more than masayuki, so this added to it all to make him likely more formidable than those introduced so far. 

I was sort of frightened by the next person introduced, Lion Mask, or as my senses told me. This was the ex-Demon Lord Carrion, though it felt odd looking at him now. I could even say he was not actually than myself, he had twice my magicule count at first glance, which he was only using a simple spell to attempt to hide. However he seemed much more adept at melee combat, and may not be able to use his full power assuming the letter was from Milim, which had told him to keep his identity a secret. I felt sort of motivated to test myself in these conditions, I'd need to understand my new strength thoroughly. 

Finally the next two introduced left me believing that there was some deeper plan to this, one of whom I did not think was that important. Soka spent some time essentially making fun of the hob-goblin, and making him off as a joke. However she introduced the orc lord, Geld, with plenty of respect. I felt he would be just as much of a challenge as the ex-demon lord if I had to fight him, and I was also motivated to come up against him. 

That made ten of us, and now Rimuru would speak with each of us. It seemed he wanted to talk to me and Sylvester first, however Kai had other plans. He rudely announced that Masayuki could defeat Rimuru, and tried to lead Rimuru on with several more insults. I believe Rimuru handled this well, as he stated any one who wins the tournament could challenge him to a duel, or join his duel with Hinata. This was the first public mention of it and it seemed to get the audience more excited, to see the slime engage the defender of humanity in a public duel. After this Rimuru was forced to start from the other side of the line up, and got to us last.

"Both of you best prove yourselves, though I trust you will. Rozemyne isn't much of a fighter, but she can still destroy a city easily. So I hope you can prove to be even more powerful." He started with this and kept leading to say we should prove our selves to him, though it was actually more for the audience and the world at large. As his plan was to use us to promote Ehrenfest and help it grow through proving our strength. "Also, if either of you win, I will have another reward for you after the tournament. Someone wanted to test something with you." This peaked my interest perhaps more than anything else I had heard today, my mind spent time reeling to figure out who could possibly be the person he was speaking of. I believed it may be Raphael, however Raphael also appeared to have some issue with me considering how quickly she forced me to leave. So that may not be the case. 

The resulting brackets ended up being something I was rather satisfied with, if a little frightened by: