Ch.31 Intermission 1

Tuuli's pov: 

Tempest was very different when Rimuru was not here, the security was way tighter. There were more patrols and all the executives seemed to be on edge a lot more. I had not remembered it being like this when we first arrived. 

Currently I was sitting with my mother, she was talking to Shuna. We were sitting inside the store which Shuna owned, it was a store which sold clothes and fabrics. I had been working here for a couple of weeks now, and my mother wanted to get a job here as well. 

"Are you sure you can safely work here? I would not want to put your safety in danger." It was difficult for humans to get jobs in some establishments in Tempest, this was not a result of them being disliked though. Instead it was a result of humans having a difficulty working with high concentrations of magicules necessary for making some of the cornerstone products. 

My mother smiled politely, and then began to speak. "It should be no issue, after I am ready to get back to working again." While my mother did not know much of anything about magicules, she did at least understand that she had been exposed to them through Myne. She had said that she was certain if she could handle Myne, that she could handle the working conditions here as well. 

Shuna seemed unsure of this, but also somewhat resigned to my mother's determination. She nodded slightly while taking out a small sheet of paper, it was one of the newer types that had been taken over from the older thick papers since Benno had arrived. "I will write your work contract, and you will be able to come to work three months after your new child is born. Please inform me if you need to take a longer leave." With that explained, Shuna took out a small bottle of ink and used a spell to guide the ink onto the paper. After it had set the contract was finished, it had only taken moments for her to do so. "Read the terms, then sign here." With a smile Shuna slid the paper to my mother, while pointing to the end of the sheet on a small dotted line. 

It took my mother some time to fully read the sheet over, though once her head had wrapped around the terms her eyes went wide. "These terms are far too good, is there some kind of catch?" Specifically she kept reading the term of wage, which appeared to say she would be receiving a full gold coin every two weeks. 

"That is less than I make." I quickly commented while peaking over my mother's shoulder to read the terms for myself. I trusted Shuna, so I didn't expect anything malicious. I was just curious. 

"Yes, Tuuli-san does make more. Her wage has been one gold coin, and twenty five silver coins every two weeks. I believed this wage would be fair, as I can't expect you to produce as much as her." It was more than fair, I was significantly stronger and faster than my mother now. I doubted she could keep up with me if we were both going our fastest, though strength and speed wasn't all that mattered. 

My mother tensed her forehead a bit, looking conflicted for a moment. "I will try my best to keep up with that wage. I really don't know for sure if I can." She was determined but also looked worried. The other terms were very forgiving, she would be given regular breaks and would be allowed to switch to store-clerk when she was unable to sew. 

I sat back in the chair, I had been satisfied from everything I had seen. "Shuna-sensei really is very giving, even when she is hiring someone." I muttered under my breath while making sure not to draw too much attention. Though I did wonder how Corinna was doing, as she had stayed in Ehrenfest and did not come to Tempest with Benno. 

It was not long after this that we had left, and I was allowed to go out on my own. My mother had wanted me there to introduce her to Shuna, I doubted she really needed the help. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Enough time had passed that my bruises were mostly healed, a few still remained but I wasn't worried about them. I was with my father, currently he was standing across the training field from me. He was talking with a few of the hobgoblin guards and trying to ask how he could join the guards. 

I was still not allowed to train, so I decided to approach the group and listen in on the conversation. I took a spot standing next to my father and simply watched him speak. 

"You all are really strong, but is there any way I could join the guards? I was a guard captain back in Ehrenfest, so I should be qualified." He let a hint of pride out as he talked, but he still seemed pretty scared of the hobgoblins. Even the ones that were a few feet shorter than him could likely still easily beat him head-on. 

"That is a question for Rigur, he's the head of security." One of the shorter hobgoblins spoke up, with a devious smile that I caught just barely. 

With a slight nod, my father looked around. Then he hit a realization. "Who is Rigur? How could I talk to him?" After asking the question he was quick to start looking around again. 

It was soon after this question was asked, that a relatively tall hobgoblin walked onto the scene. He was sporting a red bandana, a white tunic, a brown coat which was lined with white fur, and white pants and wrapped leather boots. "Did someone call?" He was incredibly casual, with grey hair and kind black eyes. 

"Hey, Rigur-san, this guy wants to join the guards." It was the same hobgoblin from before, he seemed to be brewing up a plan since he had completely changed his tone. He was pointing to my father while talking about him wanting to join the guards. 

Rigur seemed bashful and placed his palm to the back of his head while sighing a bit, it had seemed he had caught on. "I don't know for sure about that, not many humans have joined the guards." His tone was still kind, though he seemed pretty reluctant. 

"I can prove my strength if I need. I may not be strong enough to win, but I can put up a good fight." My father was keeping up a confident persona, but he did seem to shake a little from his own words. He wasn't exactly backing down from them though. 

Rigur rubbed the back of his head while smiling bashfully once more. "I suppose. You can choose any guard to spar, you don't need to win. Just don't push yourself too hard." With that he took a small step toward my father and gestured toward the rack of training swords leaning against the small hut at the edge of the field. 

My father immediately nodded and took a doubled edged short sword, very similar to the ones he was familiar with using. He quickly went to feeling out the weight of the wood and was satisfied after feeling it's accuracy. "I'll take on anyone who offers." He really shouldn't have said that. 

The same hobgoblin as before with the devious smile stepped forward, "I'd like to take you on." He was quick to offer, while making a small pose to show himself off. He didn't look that impressive physically, but the pressure he gave off was at least on par with myself. I was sure he was one of the original Hobgoblins who were personally trained by Hakurou. 

"Rigur-san, I can spar my father." I immediately countered, not wanting to see my father hurt badly. It was true the training grounds had a constant supply of potions, but the pain still happened. 

Rigur took a moment and looked between the two of us, taking a little longer. "I think you can spar him, Tuuli. Are you sure Hakurou-sama would be alright with that, though?" The question was immediately posed to me, and it sorta hurt to hear. 

'I don't wanna disobey Hakurou-sensei..' I thought to myself, but I was still looking over to my father. I supposed I could end it quickly, and hope word didn't spread. I stood there for another few moments, and pondered my options. "I don't know.." I walked over to Rigur and gestured up to him. 

After a few moments Rigur kneeled down so I could whisper to him. 

"I don't want my father to get hurt, could you just spar him? I don't think I am allowed to.." I trailed off, but I was a bit hopeful.

Rigur nodded softly along with my words then whispered back. "I can go easy on him, sure. Just make sure I am there when you get that sword. I wanna see your eyes sparkling like the first day you were here." He teased softly while making a counter-offer, and assuring me. 

I blushed a bit at the tease, but quickly recomposed. "Thank you, and I will." I whispered back before stepping away from Rigur. 

Luckily it seemed my father was too focused on the challenging hobgoblin to notice the exchange. So his eternal pride would stay intact for just a bit longer. 

Rigur stood up quickly and revised his state. "Gunther-san, I think I'll be sparring you instead. Could you grab me a bokken?" It was quick and concise, to quickly change the situation. 

My father smiled to this, but also seemed to shiver a bit. "Sure thing, I'll grab you one." After that my father took some time reading the labels on the rack until he found a bokken. Afterward he walked over to Rigur a bit awkwardly, but still tried to keep up a confident expression while handing the bokken over. 

Rigur smiled back a little. "Don't worry." He assured as he walked to the middle of the practice field, and waited patiently. While doing so he held his bokken out to his side without putting up a guard. It was a common tactic Hakurou did all the time in training. 

My father seemed emboldened by this a bit, and walked to the other end of the training field. Keeping himself steady once he was inside the sparring area, with a wide stance. Holding the sword in his hand forward with the tip at eye level, and a few feet in front of him. His approach was slow, but he was making deliberate steps to keep himself balanced as he walked forward. 

Rigur seemed to shimmer a bit, before falling through his own shadow. It was moments later he popped up from the shadow of my father, being behind him immediately. He made a swift and deliberate strike toward my father's  back, making him fall over to the ground in front of him. 

My father gasped a bit as the force sent him flying forward, he hadn't been badly injured though. He proceeded to get back up and look forward, toward Rigur. He had an incredibly baffled look on his face, as he'd never seen [Shadow Movement] before. 

Rigur adjusted his stance and stopped shimmering at all, deciding to stop using skills. He also appeared to be holding back a bit more. He took a defensive stance and head the bokken in front of him. 

Once he had seen the change, my father went in for a flurry of thrust and slashes. The point of his sword usually getting redirected a few inches from their target, and forcing him to pull back to not leave himself open. His pattern was relatively easy to predict after watching it for a short while, just like a pattern on an embroidery. Once you understood it, you could accurately see the steps necessary to replicate it. 

Rigur was not pressured by this, but he kept allowing himself to get pushed. It took him some time to finally approach a point of struggling, at which point he kept that pace and level of strength. He quickly parried and make a thrust for my father's shoulder once the opportunity presented itself. 

Seeing this, my father stepped out of the way, and grabbed onto Rigur's hand. Afterward holding the short sword to his throat, though it could not cut regardless. 

This left Rigur a small bit surprised. "Your skill is alright, even if you aren't that strong. I suppose you are at least rank C. You can join." He was smiling bashfully then easily walked out of my father's grasp. 

My father sighed, at how easily his plan had been thwarted. He smiled afterward though. "Thank you, Sir." He said politely, then bowed his head slightly. 

"Don't sweat it, I'd suggest you start training with Tuuli-chan in your off time. For now you'll still need to sign up properly and get a set of gear, follow me." With that Rigur led my father off and they went toward one of the barracks. 

________________________________________________________________________________

--2201 words--

(AN: Simply a chapter showing what has been going on with Myne's family back in Tempest.)