Ch.2 All Roads Lead to Tempest

Myne's pov: 

Waking up just isn't fun, you know that? Especially when you wake up with a fever. You wanna get out of your own skin, it's simply terrible. I wish there was a better way to cool off when I get like this. I heard monsters have a lot of mana, like I do. I wonder if they could teach me ways to vent it, though for now I just need to deal with it. 

I sat up and then pushed myself out of the bed. I was sleeping with Tuuli, and in the bed across from me was Lutz. It seemed the skin on my hands had light blisters from mana overflow, I had a hard time closing my hands and moving my fingers. I let out a slight squeak in pain as a result. Now that I was awake I was slowly cooling down, though that did not help the fact my skin had blisters all over the place. The heat was replaced with the pain of moving around with them. 

My noisy squeaks and squeals from my pain seemed to have caused Lutz to wake up, he was now staring at me with a concerned look on his face. He had thought this problem was over. Seeing me like this for the first time in a long while brought back that fear again. He immediately sat up and walked over to me, instructing me to sit down, he then walked out of the room to get my mother, most likely. 

Tuuli seemed to get alerted by the door being opened and closed and rubbed her eyes after opening them slowly. "Do you have a fever?" It was a question I had heard far too many times. Though luckily my answer now was no, I just had the blisters now that it had died down. I had already cooled down quite some bit. 

Shaking my head in a no motion, I lifted my hand for her, to show her the blisters on my palm. "The fever was gone right after I woke up."  I had to explain that part verbally, though my tongue had blisters too, so that was unpleasant. 

Soon after this exchange my mother came in with Fran, Lutz was behind them, still looking worried. My mother had brought two rags, one that was warm and one that was cold, first she would use the cold rag and rub it on the blister, then she would hold the warm rag against it until it shrunk. With Fran's help this took some time, though after an hour I was in a much better state. 

"Don't give us scares like that, it isn't pleasant." Fran chided me, trying to bring the situation some light. Luckily we were in a pretty developed city when this happened. So we have plenty of options. This flare up wasn't that bad. 

I didn't want to talk, the only blisters left were those on my tongue so I didn't think I would be for a day. At least not unnecessarily. 

My mother was sitting by me, holding my tightly. She whispered something to me, "I have to agree. You've given me too many scares. Please don't get greedy, my heart can't take it."

I looked up to see the tears forming in her eyes while thinking about what to say, though in the end I just decided to lean into her, trying to give her comfort. I held onto her waist tightly to try to assure her. "I won't." I whispered back simply. 

My mother nodded softly to my assurances and then handed me my chalk board. "Benno gave it to me, he said he had gotten your notes from it. You were already asleep though." She said as she made sure it was tightly in my hand before releasing it. 

I took it and held it to my chest tightly, It had been some time since I forgot it. I got a little bit of an odd feeling I may not want to let anything important to me go, as if I wouldn't have long to enjoy them. "h-hey, wanna draw something with me?" I asked, letting my tone shift naturally from the worried one to an expectant one. 

My mother nodded softly and took the chalk into her hand. 

________________________________________________________________________________ 

We had a couple hours to explore the market before leaving. Mjöllmile had agreed to lead us along the road, according to Benno, so we'd be leaving earlier than expected. Mjöllmile also seemed very sympathetic to my affliction, apparently he had seem some children that had a very similar problem in Engrassia. I hoped they wouldn't die, if it wasn't for my knowledge from my previous life, I know I would be dead now. 

Currently I was walking along with Ferdinand and Benno, apparently they had decided to take me to a restaurant of some kind. I didn't exactly know why Ferdinand wanted me to come, I was under the assumption it was just going to be the two of them, but he had insisted on me coming. It just felt suspicious, though maybe it was an apology for not being there when my flare up happened. If he was, he likely would've noticed it while I was still asleep. 

Arriving at the place, I noticed something. The menu, was, questionable. It had lots of foods from Japan. I thought there was no knowledge of my old world, except for from me, myself. I didn't even think this world had progressed to the point where these foods could be made yet. Though I realized something quickly, this restaurant was owned out of Tempest.