Ch.23 A Dinner Proposal

Myne's pov: 

I was standing in front of the garden, right in front of the street. Standing next to me was Benno. We were both wearing formal wear, though I was a bit more uncomfortable since I hadn't needed to in some time. So I was fidgeting a bit, especially since it was a bit small on me now that I had grown from being a demi-spirit. Though I was still small enough for it. Even as a supernatural entity I looked younger than I actually am. It isn't fair, especially considering Rimuru looks like a teenager despite only being a few years old as a slime. I had been keeping my thoughts on simple annoyances like these for hours now, it helped keep me distracted. 

A relatively large blue and yellow magic circle appeared a few feet in front of me and Benno, it flashed brightly then a few moments later. Three figures were standing there. The one in the middle was Rimuru, in his long black demon lord coat. His black vest and fur collar really did made him look a lot more manly in this outfit than he did in anything else. The boots not having heels helped, though. 

The other two figures were familiar ones, Ferdinand in a simple noble waistcoat and a set of formalwear pants. Sylvester next to him was wearing a very similar set of clothes, if not slightly fancier. Though Sylvester held himself slightly less responsibly. 

I was staring at them a bit surprised to have them be the ones Rimuru had invited. 'What are you planning?' I thought to myself before I realized I was staring off into space. Benno was quick to tap the back of my head to get my attention discretely. I looked up and greeted, "Hello, Rimuru-sama, Sylvester-sama, Ferdinand-sama. I hope to see you all have a good evening." Benno had made me use my education from my time in the cathedral to address Rimuru and his guests nobly, though I didn't  want to considering this was  a favor for me. Also just at my house. 

Rimuru nearly fell over laughing, and immediately got weird glances from the other two. "Ok, that wasn't a joke. I know. Still, seeing you address me like that is just so jarring. Now, here." While speaking the final sentence he waved his hand, and the mask appeared in it. It was then presented to me to wear. 

Ferdinand seemed to visibly get a bit more than just interested looking at the mask, specifically staring at the crack on it. Though he was quick to hide it, and return to a more noble stance and pose. 

I took the mask, and slowly put it onto my face. I could immediately see through it the moment it was on, and I could feel that even compared to the bracelet the mask had a much larger effect. Though likely only because of it's size. "Rimuru-san, didn't you say you'd have four people?" I asked after getting a feel for wearing the mask, and how it effected my ability to use magic. 

At my question Rimuru gave a small nod. "Not out here, she'll be with us shortly. Let's just go inside." He said calmly. Though I could sense just a tiny bit of shake in his tone. Afterward he had already made a move for the path to the front door. 

It was not long after the two nobles followed him, already seeming to cling to him at any time they could. It was really fascinating to see, and I did wonder why. Though I heard something about them becoming demi-spirits, I did not hear much more. 

Benno rushed to open the door for Rimuru, while I followed next to Rimuru. I was the one that led them to the dining room. It was a large open room with a large ovular table and nice padded chairs around it. The table had 18 seats, as I did not believe we'd need more in any situation. The walls were a refreshing cream color, while the table was a deep blue from the wood's properties. It was covered with a lighter blue table cloth with a small Tempest flag in the center, which had been the only one I could get for free. People really are very giving with things Tempest themed. It was a great table cloth, though. The dining room was one of the few rooms that was tiled, though there was a small carpet directly under the table. It was very contrasting with the black carpet on the white tiles. 

Rimuru seemed more than satisfied with the room. "Do you really need this much for a family home?" He chuckled lightly with a bit of a sarcasm. Though he did seem moderately impressed with how much effort I had put in. 

I puffed my cheeks out a bit and malded in place. Though no one could see through the mask, except Rimuru. 

He simply gave me a knowing smirk while making sure to pat my head. "Do you want to eat or talk first? Or do you talk best over food?" He said while stepping away. 

Everyone in the room was simply staring at our exchange, it was like watching siblings tease each other. Ferdinand seemed to be the only one who wasn't sorta agape at it. Gunther was the first to respond though, "Rimuru-sama, may I ask how you got such a close relationship with my daughter?" He was staring with a bit of apprehension while having to force a formal tone. 

"No need to be so polite. To explain why, I taught her most of the things she knows about being a monster. She even managed to successfully get Veldora to take her to Walpurgis to try to help me against Clayman." Rimuru gave a small overview while smiling to my father innocently. I think I even saw him get a little shorter to make himself seem less imposing.  

Ferdinand seemed to almost blow a gasket at the last part. "She went to Walpurgis?!" After a nod from Rimuru he looked at me with a sharp glare.

I shrank away from it while, "ehehehe.." making a small sound under the mask. Then I was quick to change the subject. "Should everyone take their seats now?" I asked and tried to make a cute face, though the only person I didn't need to convince could see it. 

Rimuru seeing I didn't want to talk about Walpurgis, was quick to say. "Yes, everyone can sit down." While his tone shifted to one a bit more noble than I had heard before. Where did he learn to do that. "Though, Myne. Can I please have access to the protection circuit?" Was a quick question Rimuru asked while being given a seat at the head of the table. 

"Uh, why would you want that?" I was a bit worried to give him access to it, the only person who had it at the moment was myself. 

"For privacy." He said simply while looking at me directly in the eyes. 

"A-alright." I nodded while making a quick though communication with him. I gave him a code I made temporarily to access it for the night. Adalman had devised that part of the spell incase someone needed to supply magicules for the circuit when I was not present. 

A small magic circle flashed in Rimuru's hand and spread out from it, soon encasing the entire room and sealing to the walls. "That should keep anyone who wants to eavesdrop out of this. Even demon lords. In fact, specifically demon lords." He said with a glance to me, though he looked away afterward. "Who you are about to meet is a complete secret, not to the state. It is a secret to me personally, along with Veldora and a few of my closest subordinates." He said as he raised his hand. 

A black mist shot forth from Rimuru's hand, it was something I had seem before when someone uses [Body Double]. This was different somehow. The black mist formed into a humanoid shape and then took on the appearance of someone just like Rimuru. The clothes that formed around them were  similar to  the demon lord attire, but instead it was white with red trimmings instead of black with gold trimmings. It had a more dress like lean with a skirt as opposed to a coat and the collar was shorter and closer to the neck, and the boots had heels. Though most striking as a difference was the piercing crimson eyes that seemed to have a complex circuitry to them, with a dimly glowing section in the middle instead of a pupil. <Notice: Creation of physical form, successful. Greetings, friends of master. This one is known as [Raphael: Lord of Wisdom].> The voice was a bit off, it was smooth and soothing. Though it was somehow inhuman, and had very little inflection. 

I was immediately left shocked. Who even was this? What was this? Raphael? "Rimuru-san, who is this?! I know that isn't you, they act nothing like you! Are they a girl, they seem to like girly clothes!" I was quick with all the questions that came to mind, unable to restrain myself from asking. I was already sitting down by the time Rimuru had pulled this stunt, but I was already standing again. 

Rimuru himself was asking questions though. "Raphael-sensei! I wasn't expecting you to customize that much, you look great! Did you plan this ahead of time when you asked to meet them?" He seemed incredibly excited to meet someone he apparently already knew. 

<This design was devised following master's request to see me physically. As master has referred to this one as 'her', this one will dress as a woman would.> Raphael said as they were quick to take a seat next to Rimuru, forcing Sylvester out of it without a care. 

Rimuru seeing the state of the discussion forced himself to calm down and coughed into his fist. "Ahem, this is Raphael, my Ultimate skill." He then looked at Raphael with a bit of a sentimental gaze and made a request. "Please say 'I' or 'me' when speaking of yourself, especially when outside. Alright?" He gave a soft smile to Raphael while saying it. 

<I will comply.> Raphael said promptly after the request, then look over to me and just stared. Blankly. Those eyes just bore through me. 

Tuuli had a question now. She was shaking in place, while waiting to ask it. Suddenly she blurted it out. "What is an Ultimate skill? I though there were only basic, extra, and Unique skills?" She asked suddenly from her own place near the middle of the table. 

"There is another level of skills reserved for very high level existences like true demon lords, true heroes, and true dragons. They require a truly immense amount of energy to manifest, even from a previously powerful Unique skill. So they are very rare." Rimuru answered Tuuli's question willingly. He seemed to completely lose the ability to be tight lipped with the privacy barrier he had put up. 

My parents, Benno, and Lutz simply seemed to be incredibly confused. While both Sylvester and Ferdinand were staring at Raphael with eyes of amazement. "Not only an ultimate skill, but sentient. I wasn't even aware sentient skills existed." Ferdinand said while reaching for a small piece of wood he had brought to start writing. 

Raphael's gaze seemed to immediately switch to Ferdinand while saying, <You may not record my existence, your memories will have to suffice you curiosity.> 

Ferdinand seemed to visibly shiver, and put the piece of wood away while taking a bit of an apologetic expression. 

"Sorry, as I said. It's a secret. This is my first time seeing her physical form, I'd like to take a picture if I could. We can't risk her existence leaking out. I have already made a soul contract for the end of this conversation." Rimuru took on a serious tone while mentioning something I had never heard of, but sounded ominous. 

My mother seemed to be the first one able to ask something. "If I may ask, what is this all about? This seems quite extravagant. What is the topic?" She seemed to be breathing heavily from the surprising situation, though she kept her rationale. 

I shrank back a bit as Rimuru's gaze fell on me. I took a moment, breathing heavily while thinking of how to word this. I had never even planned to talk about it, but I had been cornered by Tuuli. I couldn't back out now. "..That would be me.. Specifically.. How long I will live." 

Everyone in the room except Rimuru and Raphael seemed to get apprehensive at this. Though Tuuli was apprehensive in a different way from the rest, she was nodding slightly to me while sending me a thumbs up from under the table. 

I could feel the pressure draining into the mask as I looked for the words. Not really knowing how to word it. I looked around at everyone, their faces kinda made me feel worse. They all had eyes that seemed to want to protect me. I couldn't handle it emotionally, but I still couldn't cry. I could feel my aura try to spill out from within me, but the mask and bracelet simply stopped them. A steep frown forming on my face. I simply forced my words out before they were ready to say it. "I-will-outlive-almost-everyone-in-this-room-because-I-no-longer-have-a-lifepsan!" It was worded very poorly and I was speaking very fast. 

Rimuru frowned himself at my way of saying it, though he gave a soft nod. 

There were a lot of different reactions and different levels of understanding of my situation. Ferdinand gave a solemn nod, while looking at me a bit sympathetically. Sylvester seemed a bit confused on the problem, though once he got a glance from Ferdinand he seemed to take the same solemn mood. 

Tuuli seemed to tear up a bit while reaching out for me under the table. Lutz seemed to almost break down hearing it, almost falling over in a state that looked like utter defeat. Benno seemed to look between Ferdinand and Lutz and got a bit of a thoughtful expression. Afterward he was quick to grimace. 

My parents on the other hand looked relieved, or maybe even happy. They were too focused on me to read the room. It was by far the reaction I feared the most. 

I couldn't feel any release anywhere in my body. I started squeezing my own hands tightly as a result. I didn't want to say a word to them as I watched their expressions, smiles with sparkling eyes. I could feel my palms start dripping in my laps as I watched. 

My eyes darkened, and I could feel the small drops well up into my dress, some running off and onto the floor. I looked down and couldn't look back up. I could see the deep red color spreading into the dress I was wearing slowly. 

Looking around at the situation, my mother finally seemed to notice the other reactions in the room. Like a switch going off, her face changed back to one of apprehension. "Myne..Myne, what is wrong?.. Isn't that good?.. You'll have us for the rest of our lives.." She trailed off and watched as the last words turned the situation worse. 

I could feel my eyes finally start to react, twitching at those words. 'The rest of our lives. Our lives. Our.' I lifted one of my hand slowly to touch my face under the mask. I could feel the subtle wet feeling spread onto the skin of my face as the liquid slowly dripped down from where I touched. "..The rest of your lives.." I said it under my breath while the feeling finally started to crack inside me. I hung in defeat while saying it. 

It seemed to be my father who reacted to this. His face getting hard and solemn. His eyes finally darkening while staring off into space. Stiffening his back and keeping his head up straight and at attention. While small clear orbs dripped down the sides of his cheeks. Finally being able to say something, he responded. "We can't be there for you." Through gritted teeth and with a grimace. 

Something seemed to fall apart in my mother's eyes. Something I couldn't  describe fell out of them. "We.. she.. She was going to die on us... Are you saying?." She didn't have much time to trail off. 

"You won't live long to her. Spend your time well, and make sure she remembers you." Rimuru said it with a hard face, closed eyes with no twitches or even small movements on his face at all. Smooth speaking and no breaks in his tone. That same careless tone he took when talking about something he already knew. 

I wanted to scream at him, why would he say that? Why would he leave it at that? Was it really  that simple to him. "..Rimuru.." My teeth gritted and I could feel my cheeks get hot, the blood under my skin moving so fast it felt like it was heating up. 

I could see those golden eyes open for me and stare deeply into my own. "Sorry. I have to say it that way. They really won't, you know that." Rimuru's words hammered down on me one by one, like a massive piece of metal slamming into my skull. 

'He wanted to talk to me?..' I could feel my understanding of his intentions change. Who his words were addressed at felt different now. I could feel another gaze on me, those red eyes. I looked into Raphael's eyes, while the face was expressionless there was something in those eyes. "..Why did you bring her out?.." I couldn't hold back the words, slurring them slightly through tight lips. 

<I was formed from Master's longing for companionship. He believed my insight on your situation would be useful. You are pitiful, like this. He, no. I did not wish to see this continue.> The inflection on the words never changed, though there was a slightly stutter at the sudden change in the source of the idea. 

With a small nod Rimuru looked away. "It was her who told me what you were struggling with. That was why she had given me the idea to turn them into demi-spirits." He trailed off with a glance to Ferdinand and Sylvester. Afterward making a small, slow, sigh. 

'Pity..?' That was the look in those eyes, out of millions of thoughts and calculations. In the end the thing she concluded was pity. I could feel as my blood cooled, and my stomach sank in on itself. 

I looked to my parents. I could see they both had the devastated look in their eyes seeing my situation. 'Can I put them through this?.. Should I even focus on this?..' Looking down at my hands, I could see blood. All over my hands, my dress. My blood. "I.." I could not finish my sentence. 

Rimuru stood up and walked over, around everyone. Then he took out a small drop of potion and tapped it onto my palm. "Don't hurt yourself over this." He said simply while going back to his seat. 

"I'M SORRY!" I screamed at the top of my lungs while losing myself for a moment. "I can't force my problems on you.." I looked back to my parents again while trying to focus on their eyes, even if they couldn't see through the mask. "I just want you both to live as long as you can... I can't expect more.. Please just enjoy life as much as you can.." I had quickly lost myself in my words while trying to get it across. This sudden realization. I ran over to them, hopping out of my chair and pulling them both into a forceful hug. My new strength making them uncomfortable. I couldn't notice that , though. 

They both hugged me back, seeing my change in mood. "Are you sure you are strong enough for that?" My father asked while giving me a raised eyebrow. His tug on me was secure and I felt safe inside the embrace. 

The mask disappeared, like Rimuru's doing, as I nodded into their embraces. While making sure to give my mother a kiss on the cheek, not letting any of this moment go. Every moment from now on had to be perfect, I couldn't let anything ruin them. 

My mother was quick to return with a small kiss on my forehead before they both pulled me back up from the position behind the chairs. My dad carried me back over to my chair and set me down. I could see that his face still looked bitter, but he was smiling none the less. 

I looked seriously over to Lutz. "That goes for you too. Don't think I didn't hear you talking about that idea to become a sage." My tone was sharp, I had not even looked at him in days because of his stunt. That had to stop. 

Lutz was staring at me, and slinking back a bit. However his face had a bitter smile finally getting my attention. "I don't want to leave your side." He said while staring back with his own confident gaze, it really did touch something deep down. 

"Lutz..." I couldn't let him down now, I simply gave a nod. One more loose end, though Rimuru seemed forgiving on this one.

I looked over to Benno, "Hey, don't go dying on me. Ok? You outta sell books for another sixty years at least, got it?" I gave a stern gaze while making sure to give the best tease I could after the dower mood. 

With a wry smile Benno looked back and gave a confident nod. "There is no way I won't wring you for every dime." His smile became a bit more bitter, but he understood. 

Finally. Tuuli. She was staring me down, with a gaze of a certain kind. "You already know, even if he can't." She didn't finish her sentence, but I got it. There was something different between her and Lutz. She'd actually taken well to magicules. 

I got a little worry in my eyes, but made sure not to look back to Lutz. Then gave Tuuli a very subtle nod. Afterward I was quick to send her a small jolt in the back with my magic to tell her not to talk about it in front of everyone. 

"Can we eat now?" It was Sylvester who asked. He seemed to get a glare from everyone in the room, which made him slink back. Though a few growling stomachs were quick to affirm his point in the silence. So off Tuuli and Lutz went to get the food for everyone. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Rimuru had to teach Raphael to eat, she seemed totally inept at the concept of needing it. She had likely considered it unimportant before this. <Food is unnecessary.> 

"Food is absolutely necessary! It doesn't matter if we don't need it physically! It is so mentally stimulating!" Rimuru's shouts to his skill were both a little jarring and at the same time endearing. It felt like he was able to just be himself around her. 

<Master has developed an addiction. Please do not give me your addiction.> Raphael said while inflecting just a small amount. It was not a meaningful one, but it was there. 

They had been bickering like this for almost half an hour, though really it seemed Rimuru was enjoying it. He couldn't  stop smiling. I thought I could see a small smirk on Raphael occasionally too, but that may have just been my imagination. 

Suddenly a certain voice broke into this constant back and forth. "Raphael-sama, Rimuru-sama said you wanted to turn us into demi-spirits for Myne. Is that right?" It was Sylvester, staring at Raphael with an apprehensive expression. It seemed those words hooked him. 

A blank expression stared back at Sylvester for what felt like too long, especially for the talkative skill. Though eventually a response came. <I wished to create companions for Myne. Preferably a family to take over the role from her current one. Though also for the purpose of her protection, it would be good to hide her human family. So I believed a public adoption as your child would be preferable. While allowing her to keep her human family private.> It was a long explanation with lots of moving parts, but in all it made sense. 

Sylvester seemed to tense at this, and looked over to my parents for a moment. "I am not sure I could ever replace them. I have a family of my own, but I believe her father is quite a better one than I, especially after that scene." Then he looked back to Raphael while twiddling his thumbs a small bit. "I would like to keep her safe though." That part was said under his breath. 

<Negative. You proved your worth when you made sure your family could join you before you accepted the proposal. If you had not I was planning to dispose of you discretely if master allowed it.> The tone didn't charge but the words were certainly very alarming. 

Sylvester shivered a bit, but also seemed to take pride in his decision to put his family before his own evolution. "I would be willing to adopt her publicly, as long as she is not separated from her other family privately. I need permission from my wife first, however." He finished. 

"You passed the second test, good job." Rimuru chuckled while giving Raphael a bit of a worried glance. 

<Thank you for your compliance. I will arrange the paperwork and send on to record Myne's death in Ehrenfest records once you have them ready.> Raphael then made a look to my father. 

My father was both seething and tearing a bit. "Do you think I can't protect her?" His tone was both agitated and desperate. 

My mother was quick to put a hand on his shoulder while making sure to lower her tone so, or so she thought, only my father could hear her. "You can protect her in secret, while he protects her in public. It is for her safety, and Tuuli's safety as well. We have another one on the way. As long as we can stay with them, I think we should allow this. Think about Myne's future as well, she needs a family after we are gone." She kept her mouth next to my father's ears while softly convincing him. She also gave him a soft kiss on the cheek afterward. 

My father begrudgingly gave a nod, while staring down Sylvester. "We can work together, but if you don't keep her safe to the best of your ability I will personally make sure to get you back for it." My father gave a hard expression while holding a hand out to Sylvester across the table. 

Sylvester nodded and took my father's  hand, shaking it. "If I couldn't I'd certainly want to see my own face beaten in." 

"Wait why didn't any of you ask me about this?" I was sitting alone on the other end of the table, which seemed to get often long after hearing the conversation progress without me. Though the more I thought about Raphael's plan the more sense it made, really I couldn't object. Plus it meant if things did go well, I could rely on Ferdinand, and maybe Sylvester too. "I suppose I'll just accept this then." I gave a quirt nod while not even realizing I had not said a word before it. 

________________________________________________________________________________

--4403 words-- 

--While wearing the mask and bracelet, Myne is not even capable of most of her more powerful spells--

(AN: LONG CHAPTER SORRY IT CAME OUT SO LATE. Hope you like it though. Tried to fit the entire exchange into one instead of breaking it up. Tell me what you think about Myne's adoption, though it is only public. She will still have her old family privately, unlike her own story. Also, PRAISE RAPHAEL-SENSEI) 

 Also, PRAISE RAPHAEL-SENSEI)