Ch.20 A Festival?

Rimuru's pov: 

Ferdinand got up immediately and walked around the table to lift Myne. He had a worried look in his eyes and a small jitter in his stride. 

"Is she alright?" Sylvester was quick to ask, with a worried look of his own. His was much less so than Ferdinand's, but it was still there. He was tapping his finger on the table quickly while watching her. 

"It's just a low power state, and her body is based on a human so that is probably why her heart started beating." I was very familiar with the state myself, after naming so many monsters. I didn't even need to ask Raphael. 

<Your inference about individual, Myne, having a heart beat due to low power state can be considered correct. Good job, master.> 

Did Raphael just congratulate me? That feels kinda warm and fuzzy inside. I focused back on the two humans in the room. "She may take a day or two to recover, nothing to worry about. She should still have enough not to need food." I placed my chin in my palm while setting my elbow on the table. 

Ferdinand didn't seem sure, but after feeling Myne's head, he seemed somewhat assured. He sat walked back and sat next to Sylvester. "To think an amount of mana considered moderate for a noble is too small for her essential functions. Simply ludicrous." He noted while he sat down. 

I gave a short laugh and decided to make a joke to lighten the mood. "I'd have her entire capacity in my low power state." I said it with a small giggle, then took a sip of tea. 

Sylvester seemed visibly shook, he then regained his composure quickly and let out a small laugh. "You really are a monster, I can see why you became a demon lord. How much of a challenge was Clayman?" He asked, probing for a bit of information on my true power, though even telling him really wouldn't mean anything. 

"Myne could probably beat his unevolved state if she was at full power. Even after evolving into a true demon lord, during the fight mind you, he was still an easy opponent." I dismissed Clayman like a toy, because really he simply was. Nothing more than a toy, for Yuuki probably. 

This seemed to oddly assure Sylvester, I didn't really understand why. He took a sip of the tea himself, while taking a single muffin off the tray at the center of the table. "Ahh. That really is good, you really are some kind of tempter. So, do you plan on keeping the other demon lords out of Blumund?" He wasn't exactly serious saying it, though it had an undertone. 

"Of course, if they went for it." I couldn't quite see where this was going, though I was already somewhat interested in whatever he planned to offer. I put up a poker face I had learned from Vesta while making sure to let out just a tiny bit of aura. Though only enough to make it apparent. 

Responding to this it was Ferdinand who retaliated with a poker face of his own, and taking charge of the discussion. "You treat your people well, and humans are accepted here." He started off with a bit of flattery and respect while putting off a small aura of his own to counter mine, with visible strain on his face. 

"So you are a champion, eh? Trying to evolve into a sage?" I gave a small smile at his attempt and pressed a little bit harder with my own aura. I sat back in the chair and crossed my legs while clasping my hands over the arms of my chair. 

The visible strain on his face increased, though he continued. "I would like to discuss some of the history of Ehrenfest, before the proposal." His forehead was dripping with just a bit of sweat. 

I restrained my aura then sat back up straight. "Alright, go ahead." I decided to listen while sending Shuna out of the room with a wave. 

Ferdinand lifted his hand to wipe his forehead while taking a bit of a moment to breath deeply. Then cleared his throat and began. "There is a legend of a great kingdom that Ehrenfest was once part of before being a free duchy, though no evidence of this kingdom exist. The maps available of the kingdom no longer exist, though the few sages that had said to have seen them say they do not line up in any way with the maps of the time." He then took a deep breath. "For six generations Ehrenfest has been an independent nation, though today the world progresses faster than we can cope with. Your federation exist as a prime example of this." He finished it here, and looked at me. Waiting for a response while putting forward a poker face of an ungodly level. 

<It can be assumed they are proposing vassalisation of Ehrenfest to Tempest.> 

Raphael was quick to read right through the words, though I still wanted them to say it. Just to be safe. "The proposal?" I said while raising an eyebrow and re-emitting a bit of aura, less than before. 

Sylvester looked serious for a moment. "Even with the unique power of our nobles, we likely cannot keep pace. So we would like to propose a union. We will take juniorship, under conditions." He closed his eyes while leaning back. It seemed he had thought long and hard about this. 

"Such a sudden decision, you've only been here once?" I chuckled while taking a little bit of a wry expression. Really it could be very beneficial to me, I would get a voice in the Western Council and another large city under my rule to develop. 

Ferdinand tensed his brow. "How could you dismiss it that easily? Your nation is already pulling an immense amount of trade away from major players, and you beat Farmus' army singlehandedly. Not only that but your technology outpaces anything else in this world." He was quite to assure me of my own position, with a bit of a lengthy uptalk. 

"That wasn't a dismissal." I said simply while closing my eyes for a moment, really I had already considered my course of actions with [Thought Acceleration]. Though I would need to pretend I didn't, since that might seem a bit rude. "Your conditions?" 

Before Ferdinand could start, there was a knock on the door. I waved it open with a hand. The person who entered was Hinata, along with Luminas. Though Luminas was disguised for the moment to attend without revealing her identity. 

"Hello, Hinata. Please sit down." I wasn't that surprised she had come. Luminas was very nosy and I wouldn't be surprised if Myne's low power state turned her into a glorified bug for Luminas. Though this would be good, Hinata did have something to discuss with Ferdinand. 

Hinata was quick to take a seat on the side of me opposing Sylvester, while Luminas took a place next to the door. Hinata sent me a small glare, though she was otherwise satisfied with the situation seemingly. "So what is this about a union?" My suspicions were seemingly proved correct. 

Sylvester was exasperated. "Hinata Sakaguchi! So the rumor was true? Did you fight Rimuru?" He seemed to immediately be overflowing with questions for the hand of god herself, not taking any note to be polite or restrained in this situation. 

Ferdinand was quick to force Slyvester to sit down while looking apologetic in a bit of a forced way. Though under that he looked irritated with his brother's actions, which got a discrete giggle from Luminas. 

Hinata shook her head in a "no", then looked at me. "It will be private, though. I think I'd actually want it to be a public duel, if you'd accept that?" After a light nod from me, she continued. "Good. Now back on topic." She looked back to Sylvester. "This is serious business, though I see it as an opportunity." 

"Stealing the show much?" I gave a small chuckle while mentioning it, Luminas also seemed to find it funny. I took out a small piece of paper, while making sure to pour plenty of magicules into it. 

Hinata huffed and shot me a sharp glare. Then continued. "Ehrenfest already possesses a branch of the church, and we can expand the church to tempest. Though we would likely need an archbishop to administer a country of that size." She took a soft smile while looking at Myne for a moment. Then looked directly at Sylvester. "Would you like that position? You'd need to move here." She was quick to get to the point. 

Ferdinand had a simply priceless face for a second there, wide eyes almost popping out of his head. While his entire demeanor seemed to get temporarily shattered. "Can such a position be given so easily?" He rushed to say. 

"I am the hand of god, my word is the word of Luminous as much as the Emperor's. Are you saying our god is misjudging your qualifications?" She gave an incredibly sharp glare to Ferdinand while releasing a bit of her hero's aura. 

Ferdinand went pale while being quick to make an apologetic face, bowing lightly. "Of course I'd accept." He was sweating bullets from the glare and the aura, really his fear from me earlier seemed almost irrelevant by comparison. 

Hinata leaned back with a satisfied looked, and resigned herself while taking a muffin from the tray. "For the rest of this discussion, I'll simply observe then." She was always so in control, it really was admirable. 

Ferdinand coughed lightly, then began to state his terms. "With the ease at which you produce magic items, we would like to place a permanent supply of items to treat the devouring. With this we will have a large population of citizens with mana to do labor, and can similarly boost our productive capacities." He finished this term with a rationale, which I nodded to. It made sense. If there were more children like Myne, even if not as strong, letting them die was a waste. 

After taking a moment to fully gather the way to put it, Ferdinand continued. "Secondly, we would like to request first access and production license for all technology developed here in Tempest. Though of course we could negotiate to keep some pieces confidential." I was expecting that one, so I simply gave another nod. Really any country seeking any deal with us was quick to ask it, though with a term of my own I could accept this. 

Ferdinand was faster to this third term. "Finally, our most important term. We would like to have the ability to be able to request military training, and support from Tempest." This point was simple, but it had a lot of meaning. It meant we'd need to partition our military to keep a station of troops to train those in Ehrenfest, additionally we'd need to produce weapons for Ehrenfest to make their training valuable. 

<With the term of exclusive ability to set taxes within the union, these terms can be accepted.> 

'That was what I had in mind, do you think they will accept?' I asked Raphael while turning up [Thought Acceleration] a bit. 

<If capped reasonably, they will accept. Highest rate that will be accepted with high probability is twenty-seven percent.> 

'That is high enough, I am immortal. The rate doesn't matter as long as it is still profitable some time this century.' I thought while making a mental note to think about my plans for one hundred years from now some time. "I'd like to make a term of my own, I would like exclusive rights to set taxes within the union. Though I will set a cap of twenty-seven percent." I gave a poker face while saying it, even if Raphael had assured me they'd accept. 

Ferdinand tensed his brow, before simply resigning with a small nod. "I think we can afford that compromise." He looked to Myne with a glance, and made sure she was still just asleep. 

Sylvester looked relieved. "Is it over then? Can I get out of that serious mood?" He seemed already more than done with the serious talk, though I would have to disappoint him slightly. 

'Really, this guy. He doesn't want to be an adult, if this does happen I may not even let him leave Tempest.' I though to myself, then explained the next thing on the agenda for me. Luckily I did not have a clear plan yet. "We can sign this together during the Tempest Founding Festival, it will be held in a month. I can make a special day just for it. A day of Union, I suppose." I wasn't exactly sure on the details yet, though it sounded like a nice sentiment, it would mean I'd be able to publicize this being an option. 

Sylvester was at first quite dower, though he perked up at the mention of the topic being a festival. "I assume I'll need to attend? That does sound lovely." He trailed off while obviously just thinking about food, as he began drooling just a tiny bit. 

Ferdinand was quick to slap his brother out of it, and make sure to chide him. "Be more respectful, you are literally in the middle of negotiating making this person your ruler!" He seemed completely exasperated. 

"It isn't entirely his fault. I have been releasing my aura a bit too much, it enhances someone's temptations." I would not explain the additional effect of it making someone more subservient, however. It seemed improper to bring that up at the moment, after all. I pulled my aura back into a completely restrained state, and continued. "I would like both of you to prove your strength, so I would like you both to be contestants in a tournament I will be holding during the Festival. It will ensure people understand your position, it will encourage more of them not to look down on you. I can't have my faithful subject looked down on, after all." I doted Sylvester a bit, while making a small cutesy face. 

Both of them seemed immediately unsure. Staring off into space while considering the proposal, and kept glancing at the other for a possible answer. Then finally Ferdinand spoke up, "We aren't sure that is wise. We cannot stay in this unrestrained state for long, and exerting ourselves in it could prove fatal." 

'Raphael, do they meet the magicule requirement for evolution? I think you know into what.' I thought to Raphael.

<Both individuals meet the magicule count necessary for evolution into demi-spirits, of the archspirit class. A process for doing so has already been devised, and simulated. It should possess a 99% success rate, assuming proper performance.> 

'Thought so, well. That assures me quite a bit.' I smiled to the both of them. "I have a little experiment in mind for the pair of you. Would you be willing to fight, if during the day of union, I were to allow you to evolve into demispirits?" I made sure to emphasize the last part. The room hit a deadly silence as everyone stared at me like I had just announced I possessed all the world's nuclear launch codes, even Luminas. 

Myne stirred, and I heard her heart stop. She opened her eyes and forced herself up, struggling to do so. "More people  like me? Ferdinand-sensei could be like me?" She seemed oddly relieved at the idea, her face releasing quite a bit of hidden tension. Her face screamed "Please let this be true." 

"I don't see why not. They hit the magicule requirement, and it should be possible to replicate the natural conditions. Though I won't disclose how, for obvious reasons." I simply sat there looking a little smug in Raphael's achievement. 'Thank you, sensei.' I thought to, her. 

<...?> 

Myne seemed to almost explode with excitement, waving her arms frantically before immediately falling back asleep as her heart started beating again a moment later. How the hell did she even do that? 

Sylvester took a serious expression for the second time in this conversation. "I have a wife and children, I don't know if I can become a spirit on good conscience with that in mind." He seemed incredibly conflicted, but also confident in his position. 

I nodded at this and then gave another piece of information, "Of course, if your wife already meets the magicule requirement she will be part of the ceremony as well. By proxy when your children come of age, they will get the choice themselves if they meet the requirement." I understood it, I had refused to get close to anyone to that degree because of my own state of immortality. 

Ferdinand had already seemed to completely accept this, while in a small state of immense glee. Like some childhood wish had just been granted, though he didn't know his god was standing a few feet behind him at the moment. 

Sylvester nodded, thoughtfully. Then he finally gave his response. "I'll accept that. I can't ask them to take the burden themselves if they don't want it. Thank you." He then bowed lightly, "I'll take your course of action on this, inform my brother if you need any help." He just pushed all his responsibility to his brother in the most regal manor I had ever seen, what a pro. 

Ferdinand was quick to look up from his little fit of joy, and looked directly at me while bowing his head as well. "I will accept, please lead our people well." 

Hinata was shooting me daggers right now, though I tried to ignore it. It was the thought communication I got from Luminas that actually disturbed me. 

'Guy will have a few choice words about this.' Was the simple thought she had sent me. 

________________________________________________________________________________

--2889 words-- 

--Ferdinand posses a unique skill called [Holy Sigil]-- 

(AN: Rimuru chapter, WOOOT WOOOT! Plus some unimportant stuff about spirits, and something about a country and a union, Why cares about any of that though? Hehehe. Put your criticism or suggestions in the comments.)