Chapter 41

<<Rose>>

"You and I are the same person." 

The illusion I was in started to create a rainbow of colors around me. I looked at it in awe. It had the same composition as the fireworks back at the hunting competition.

I felt free after a really long time. I didn't feel tied down or bonded to the heavy chains anymore. They withered away just after I decided to stand up for myself.

I think Erebus was just right! I'm sure that I faced my worst fear! My past. 

The dark environment was now colorful. It felt refreshing both inside and out.

I twirled around in a circle in my own happiness. 

"Having fun?" A voice asked. I stopped and looked carefully at a disfigure.

"I am. I'm glad that I let it all go." I told to the voice. The figure morphed into a fifteen year old Rose. 

The original Rose!

 She wore a red dress with heavy make up and looked beautiful. She held a fan in her arms. I admired her determination to withstand her life for fifteen whole years like that.

"Have the fun while it lasts. You'll die soon anyway." She sneered at me.

"Will I? I'm pretty sure that won't happen anytime soon."

"Why won't it? People will leave you when they find out you are a dark user!" She screamed. Ahh, man, why can't people talk normally? My ears will rust out soon.

"No, they won't. I already made good relations with everyone I need to. There is no reason for me to run away or feel scared. If they kick me out, I'll find my own place. If someone's says crap about me, I'll sock them. I have nothing to be scared of and so do you."

"What does that mean?" She asked, puzzled.

"Aren't you tired of pretending? You should have shown them who you really are. You are way more cooler with a sword than with a fan." I complimented my honest views. She glanced down and stared at the endless void below us.

"I see now. I'm sorry. I thought I could stop you from facing your fears and finding me so that I won't ever have to step in the duchy again but I guess I was stupid. You're right. I love the sword as my own life and this fan isn't made for me." She threw the fan from her left hand. Thud! Now that's courage.

"You were always there. Let me show you a new side of life. Let's love ourselves first. Are you with me?" I held up a hand, courageously. I don't even know where I am getting all these heroic-cliché words!

I realized something along the lines when I was trapped in my own vision. The original Rose had always been there. Everywhere! She was too afraid to rely on others. Just like me. But, no more.

She reached her hand and held mine. 

"Remember what I said about us being the same person?" She asked me in a smirk.

"I do." I nodded.

"You see, we are actually the same---"

"Soul." I finished up for her.

"How do you know?"

"I figured. I mean, how the hell am I, an office worker, who did nothing but overtime till my back breaks, be able to wield a sword so easily?"

"You're smart. I felt something missing in my life. I couldn't control my attribute. My body was rejecting me a couple of times and that lake incident was just one of them. I just thought it was because I didn't have anyone to care for me but apparently, it was you." She smiled at me.