Chapter 22

"Aiming the food?" Carlisa asked in a different tone of voice. I jumped out of my skin for a moment.

"Yeah, what happened to your voice?" I asked her, shocked that she sounded like a man ready to die.

"I caught a damm cold!"       

"Is your nose runny?" I asked with a giggle escaping my lips.

"No, it's blocked and don't you dare laugh!" She threatened me. But, I took no heed at all. Guess the final reaction? She pounced at me and tried to smack my arm. I swished it fast out of her reach. 

"Urgh! Your sharp reflexes! When do you ever let your guard down?" She asked me, frustrated.

"I do none of the sort!" I replied, laughing. I took a look at her yellow dress and instantly recognized that it was her own creation.

   A click to a wine glass attracted the attention of everyone in the room. The emperor along with the crown prince and Alvin were on some sort of platform higher than the ground level. 

"Attention please, Today commemorates the day of the ascending of the title of Archduke by our Second Prince,  Alvin Arkcliff. This ceremony is for the sake of celebrating the ascending as well as to allow all the noble factions to socialize and strengthen connections. Please, enjoy your time. Thank you." The emperor announced.

Alvin had already been presented the title of Archduke. I understood by the badge on his coat. He had worn a black suit with silver epaulettes to his coat. I assumed that the silver linings displayed the his new authority. 

   Alvin instantaneously looked at me. I looked back straight in his eyes and gave a smile to encourage him. He smiled back with a curt nod. Marquis Payne approached him and they fell into a deep conversation.

    Meanwhile, my eyes unconsciously kept running off to the silver dish of the buffet. Carlisa tipped me earlier that it had a type of spicy biscuits that I might enjoy. And now, my mouth is watering and itching to lay a hand on them. I'm a glutton, I can't help it. 

   I felt like somebody was watching me and turned around on impulse. It was Richard. He saw me gloating over the food. He snickered silently with a hand over his mouth. 

'Yo, Erebus, dig a hole big enough for a person to get buried in.'  

'Who's it for?' the energy asked me back.

'Myself. I will be leaving this world sooner with embarrassment!' I abashed at him.

'Are you crazy?' He rattled on.

'Might as well be. Oh no, that fool is coming here!' 

   Richard came up to me and gave a smile. I looked down with no words.

"Shall we go get it? It won't look bad if I was there." I gasped.

"Are you serious?" Why is this guy trying to be nice?

"Come on, what am I if I can't do that for my sister? If it makes you feel better,  I even wanted to have a bite." He told me. I raised my hands like a winner but ducked them out before anyone would notice. Yay! Food, wait for me, I'll come flying!  

We walked towards the buffet and I flung towards the dish with red biscuits. Let's see how spicy you are! I shoved two of them in my mouth. 

'How is it?' Erebus asked out of nowhere.

'You can't read my thoughts right?' 

'No, only the ones that are directed at me.' 

'Oh, good! Anyway, hmm, it's normal. No! It's spicy and super duper tasty.'

'You sound like a kid.'

'I'm a kid when it comes to good food.' I said back with a humph.

"How is it?" Richard asked. 

"It's good! Rea⁓lly go⁓od!" I said, dragging my words. Music started to play throughout the ballroom. Couples started to form and they engaged in a dance. I realized that I couldn't actually dance. Even the original Rose was supposed to avoid the dances in social events. Ugh! Why am I only realizing this now?

   A girl of about 19 approached Richard. She had silky white hair and Richard smiled at her. She looked at me and stared silent for a second. I lowered my head and mumbled to Richard that I'll take my leave. 

   The girl looked at me with gentle eyes and said, "It's nice to see you, Lady Rose. I'm Livia, Richard's fiancée. I think this is the first time we met. I hope I can take Richard for a dance." She is a nice girl. 

"Of course, go ahead!" I told her with smiling eyes and she bowed curtly at me. I completely forgot that the twins were also engaged. A few of the older nobles started to whisper around me. I guess it was because the engagement was cancelled. Coincidently, a lady with orange hair came up to me. She looked like a piece of ginger covered with tons of hairspray.

"Well, well. Look who we have here. It's Lady Rose." 

"Hello there." I answered with a screeching voice of my own.

"Oh, my lady, I heard your engagement was cancelled. The Prince must have been tired lately." 
Translation:- The Prince must have gotten tired of you.

"Is that how you saw the image? Its true even if you seem to know it. The Prince has been so busy with economic affairs of nobles." I answered back with a savage mood of my own. 
Translation:- You should mind your own businesses and reduce the trouble you give to others.

"We'll get going then." The lady said and scooched off with her petty friends. I knew they were all bark and no bite. Tch!

'You have a sharp tongue! Anyway, are you going to get out of here?' Erebus asked.

'Should I? I guess I don't have much to do here then.' I answered back. 

   I turned around to see Carlisa dancing with the Prince. Her yellow gown flowed down to the ground and when they twirled, it created beautiful swirls. Her designing skills were off this world. She saw me near the staircase and looked surprised. I waved goodbye and she snickered knowing that I couldn't dance. 

   Just as I was about to send her my middle finger, someone cleared their throat behind me and tapped on my shoulder. I spun around to see the person. It was Alvin. He had that cocky smile on his face, again. 

"Rose, would you like to dance with me?" 

Hi everyone,

So, our Alvin has taken a bold step! And most importantly, Rose finally got to have a taste of banquet food! Comment your views and feel free to vote. Happy reading!