Chapter 2

<<Rose>>

   My body was jumping up and down giddily with excitement to duel a real knight from a novel but then again, living the life of Rose is too extra-ordinary to begin with. The scrunched-nose-knight (I'll call him that for now.) had a grim expression while walking in to the training ground. If it wasn't for some headless horse screaming my name like a kindergartener who got his candy stolen, I would have reconsidered this match. Thoughts like 'what if the guy cheated' ran through my mind like a express train.

"Rose! What the hell are you doing? You are a girl for heaven's sake! How can you even lift a sword with those frail hands?!!!" Robert, I assumed, shouted at the top of his voice while running towards the grounds. I wanted to smack him at the discrimination he just voiced out.

"So, you are implying that just because I am a girl, I can't fight, huh? How low of you brother?" I mocked him. His face took on a surprised expression. Rose must have never talked back to them. He deserves to be dragged down a peg or two. After all, I already rounded up most of my allowance from a few months (Oh boy, you have no idea how much it is!) and stashed it to use during my trip to escape. So, there is almost nothing to worry about me being kicked out. I'd still survive.

   The knight entered and bowed and I followed suit. His grim expression didn't fade at the least but his follow of basic mannerisms implied that he'd give his best in the duel. I took out my sword. To be more precise, I trained with one of the hardest equipment of all. (Thank god for Rose to be able to wield it) The legendary, double edged sword! (Insert music: *shalalalala *) 

   The double edged sword is used by the most talented swordsman of all time. Usually, the sword is avoided by even the geniuses for its unpredictable nature. You could hurt the enemy as well as yourself with that sort of equipment. Most of the people around gasped when I took my precious baby out. 

"Rose! put that down and get over here. You really are asking for a death wish and where in the world did our mansion even have a double-edged sword?!" Robert was insanely furious. I almost laughed at the sight.

    I beckoned the knight to begin, ignoring my brother's empty protests. I am a woman of my word at the end of the day. The knight forwarded his left foot as I predicted. I clashed my sword swinging it from my right hand. The knight's movements were too slow, so I could almost calculate them easily. Who knew Rose's amazing reflexes were fast as lightning! 

   I decided to finish the duel with three swift movements in which every time, the knight fell for all my fake distractions. My power grip caused the knights sword to get tangled with mine and I remembered that I could over power the knight. I took a deep breath and shifted my weight to my right leg which was behind my left and pushed his sword causing him to lose his grip. The sword flew out of his hands in to the far end of the battle court and planted itself rigid as a statue. I won! Yes, I knew the week of intense training that Rose made up for herself while watching the knights will bear ripe fruits. 

   The knight stood on his knees accepting defeat while the crowd around looked stunned. But, I felt an ominous feeling running through my right hand which held my sword. It was as if the sword was connecting to my body and I could vividly make out a dark screen surrounding my sword's silhouette. It disappeared the moment I turned the sword over. I decided to ignore that part for the time being.

<<Robert>>

     I knew Rose was not an ordinary person, the minute she woke up and looked around her room. There was something off about her. It was as if she was happier than usual. Almost as if, she didn't hate her lifestyle here at the duke's estate. I believe that we are partly to blame, but what can you expect when your father brings in a girl to replace our sister who is almost similar to Lily in more than one ways? We avoided her like the plague and she was even neglected by the lower class maids.

    The only time she actually smiled was during the announcement of her engagement to the Crown Prince. But, after she arrived after her first audience, she began her normal frowning routine. But now, she even went to prove her honor by dueling a knight of the estate. When I heard the news this morning, I burst out the room as fast as I could. How could a mere 15 year old girl hold a sword, let alone wield it! But I knew now I was wrong,

   Rose was more talented than a first order knight. But, the problem was how she learned it? When did she learn something so hard as swordsmanship when we never hired a teacher? Or did she ask help from a knight? In any case, I now know I was wrong about her. I shouldn't have treated her like a fly. But, in all honesty, I really don't know how to treat her. I looked behind me to see Richard with his mouth hanging open. It would only be a matter of seconds till our father hears about this.