Chapter 16

<<Rose>>

   The emperor spoke to me.

"Congratulations Lady Rose. I expected you to be similar to the other ladies but it seems you are far from it. And I admire it. You are similar to Ameece in that way. Always trying the impossible!"

"I'm sure that I asked your majesty to call my wife with honorifics." The duke interrupted him. Wow, this is some lush tea. Was their a love triangle here?

"Yes, yes! So, I heard you want to annul your engagement?" Oh, what will this guy say now?

 "Do you still want to cancel it? I mean, I know you haven't been the best fiancée but it is an honor to be the crown prince's fiancée." The emperor spoke with a slight hesitation.

I looked at the duke before answering and he nodded at me.

"I'm absolutely sure---" I swept my eyes to the right wondering and said," and I'm also sure you must have noticed by now that the prince has a little crush." I ended the last words a silently, not wanting to make a mistake.

   A few silent seconds followed a hearty laugh from the emperor. I gave a grin.

" Yes yes, I have seen. Its true. I just didn't think you'd notice him pining after his secretary." The emperor told us. I laughed at it.

"I'll approve of it. Your engagement will be annulled officially soon. Visit the palace in the near future. You too, Leo. I still have to beat you in our chess game."

"You can keep dreaming, your majesty." The duke answered with a chuckle and we exited the tent.

" Rose, you did well and I'm amazed at how you saved Ameece. She told me everything. I won't ask you how you learned to use the sword but, thank you. I know the family is a little disrupted but I will always be there for you." No no. Don't tell me that! Its going to dishearten my plans.

"Is something wrong?" The duke asked me. I'm sure it was because of my frown.

"No father. Everything is alright and thank you. I'm sorry for my behavior in the past."

" Don't be, I'm glad everything sorted out this way. What matters is the present." He replied. He was too good for himself. I managed a smile and excused myself.

   I spotted Carlisa leaning on a tree. She had the pose of a typical male lead in deep thought.

"Who are you trying to attract?" I said with a low whistle.

"Huh?!" She asked coming back form her thoughts.

" You looked like you were planning a war on Jupiter. " I exclaimed with a laugh.

"Hahaha, no, but I just realized something."

"Yeah?"

"How are you going to avoid your execution?" Oh, it hit her now huh?

"Yeah, you selfish brat! You were too focused on your crush that you didn't even remember about me." I said in a teasing tone.

"I'm being serious here. I know my existence will change the scenario but you can never be too careful." She blushed though.

"I'll be visiting the palace soon. I'll tell you then." I told her and she nodded, hesitantly.

   A rustle disrupted our conversation and distracted us. Someone was spying on us. I turned to Carlisa and she took a dagger out. I brought my hand on my sword and held it tightly.

"Who's there?" Carlisa asked. No answer came. A loud bang proceeded from our right. That followed another several mighty bangs. We both looked up at the sky to a shower of fireworks. It was dazzling.

   The colors made the sky look ecstatic. Red, white, blue, purple, pink and orange mixed with yellow blasted everywhere. A rainbow of colors formed and remained in the sky. The loud sounds continuously rang around and all the people in the hunting competition looked up in amazement. Memories from the past few days and my previous life surfaced in my mind.

   I always lived in a translucent environment. I had friends but they weren't exactly close. They were all there but were never there when I really needed them.

   Everyday in my childhood, I came to an absent home. Somedays, the house was so silent, it was impossible to sleep. Those days, I opened a window and left it to help me calm down with the sounds of the traffic. So, ironically, this life gave me a taste of a family. A real family.

   I've never been treated this caringly in my past life. I was always neglected. I wasn't a problem-child neither was I shy. Everyone assumed that I'd be okay by myself. I can't say my parents forgot me. They were just too busy to spare any time. So, I did everything I could to be independent. I aced it.

   After I graduated, I got into a good company and made enough money. Actually, a lot of money! That also was only to spend my time alone at my new but lonely apartment. Before graduating, I tried living in a boarding house on my freshman year but that ended in dismay when everyone suddenly moved out. Some graduated and some decided to live alone.

    After I got the job and sufficient amount of money to spend, I bought that apartment near a park. I used to look at the kids who came there to play. I'm not complaining in the least. I have to admit, I was lonely but I decided to accept that fact. Did I regret my life there? No. I was totally satisfied. I was an independent person. My reading habits came from those days.

   I even made friends with a park cat. It was black but had vibrant green eyes. I visited it every evening to feed it. At first, the cat hated me as anyone would but I can proudly say that I tamed it. No, I lured it with food. (*nervous chuckle* ) The saying goes, "Too much of anything is good for nothing" right?

   I believed it wholeheartedly. It became my sole motto to survive. Its better to be satisfied with what one has. I know that the duchy wont be the same when Lily arrives. It would be better to let the family be happy than burden them with my existence. Something wet ran down my cheeks.

  Why do I always turn negative when it comes to Lily's arrival? Why do I get this bad feeling? What am I so scared of? Blair, you've lived most of your life alone. This is nothing new to you! What's bothering you now?

   Oh yes, its clear as day. I'm being selfish for the affection. No, girl. Love doesn't last forever. Get your head up! You have to be prepared for anything and everything!

   I resolved my conscience again and strongly persuaded my desires. Humans are naturally selfish but it would do me good to draw the lines of it only on materialistic things. I inhaled through my nose and exhaled with my mouth and my next breath came in a little shaky.

   Someone hugged me at that precise moment. It was Carlisa. It was as if she knew what I was thinking.

"Whatever you do, like I said earlier, I'll always be here for you. All you need to do is ask. I promise I'll always be there for you." She whispered in my ear and hugged me tightly.

   An uncontrollable river of tears flowed down my cheeks. Yeah, let's cry and let it out for today. Only for today!