Chapter 36

<<Richard>> Twin of Robert Eskater and to-be leader of the mage tower.

  I will be titled the head mage of the three mage towers of the whole empire right about in twenty minutes. I was nervous but I knew I worked hard enough to deserve it. I just wished Rose was here. After her sudden change after she fell in the lake, she started to take her life more seriously. 

She was usually alone and became pretentious but I assumed that a near-death experience changed her. That was the only explanation. I adored her sword skills. Even my fiancée liked her change of attitude.

Once, she asked me to retrieve some jewels from the duchy for an experiment and the final result? She created a magic-infused jewel that protects the wearer at every cost. That's the advantage of the dark attribute. It's constant! Even I was inspired.

A young mage came into my new study and told that everyone was ready for the titling. I trotted out, groggily. The ceremonial hall in the main castle was decorated lavishly and I felt uncomfortable. Only Rose will understand this feeling. 

A light music played and I walked along the carpet showered with flowers to the platform where the previous Mage leader stood with a proud smile. I smiled back, remembering how he kept my nose to the grindstone. I let out a silent, non-existent scoff.

Soon enough, a cloud of magic enveloped me. I felt a magic enchantment being cast upon me. A symbol of the mages imprinted on my left wrist. It shined a blue light and the magic bubble around me disappeared. 

I heard hoots of joy from the audience. I was now the official mage leader. After a few cries here and there, the crowd dispersed. My family met me and offered their wishes. My Mum hugged me. My gruesome teacher patted my shoulder and requested me to do a good job. As if I'd wreck it! Everyone says that I'm the nerd of the family. 

I was itching for this whole social-interaction to finish. Suddenly, I saw Livia across some chairs and she ran toward me. She hugged me and I tightened my grip on her waist. 

"Congratulations!" She wished me with that amazing smile of hers. I dipped my head down and kissed her forehead.

A few mages came up to me and escorted me out to visit the other mage towers. I bid farewell and walked along the corridors. All of a sudden, a light flashed in my study that I was passing by. I entered it and heard voices.

"Is this how it works?" A girl's voice came. Somehow familiar!

"I don't know. I didn't try this thing-a-magic in ages." A gruffy voice came out. I opened the study door and stepped in when I recognized the girl's voice.

"Hellooo! Anybody there? Richard?" It was Rose.

"Rose!" I sprinted to my table and searched the area. Where was her voice coming from?

 The crystal jewel she made for all of us sparkled. 

"Can anybody here me? *sigh * I didn't know I could use this as a communication device. And why the heck are the rest of the jewels locked out?!" She sighed.

"I can hear you! Rose, talk to me." I grabbed the crystal and infused my magic on it. 

"Helloooooooooooo!" She shouted.

"Rose, Rose." I tried to talk louder.

"Richard! It's so nice to hear your voice." She exclaimed.

"Where the hell are you? Do you know how hard we are trying to find you? Come back!" I yelled into it like some child.

"Chill! Didn't I ask you not to find me? Anyway, I have to solve this problem on my own. Don't worry, I will be coming back for sure. Do you want me to or maybe I should just stay here?" She teased me.