Chapter 15

Mike's POV

I hear the sound of a key in the lock of Tony's door and I guess his dad is home. I turn back around to Tony and notice that his smile has gone and has been replaced with a frown and he looks slightly scared.

"What's wrong, Tone?" I ask, concered at his sudden change in emotion. Before he can reply, the door is pushed open aggressively and slams against the wall, displaying a very drunk looking man in the doorway.

The mans face contorts from confusion to anger as he looked at Tony and I, and I continue looking from him to Tony with pure confusion on my face trying to figure out what was going on.
Was this Tony's dad? Why is he so drunk? And why is he so angry?

"Tony, I thought I told you never to bring any of your fucking boyfriends back to my house." He slurred angrily, and before I could comprehend what was going on, he was making his way towards Tony at an alarming rate.

"Dad, no, I'm sorry. It wont happen again, I promise." Tony stuttered out shakily. Suddenly, Tony's dad stopped in his tracks and turned to look at me. I know I should've been protecting Tony, making sure he was going to be okay, but in this moment I was terrified. The way his father looked at Tony and I sent chills down my spine, what was he going to do? Is he like this every day?

"Get your gay ass out of my house." Tony's dad spat at me. I know I should have refused, or at least helped Tony and took him with me, but I was too scared.

"Mike, go. Don't make this worse than it is." Tony whispered at me. I looked at him nervously for a few more seconds, trying to decide whether or not he really meant that or if he actually wanted me to stay and help, but his fathers angry gaze on me and the sound of his heavy breath was too much and I immedietly felt my feet take me as far away as I could from his house.

- - -

After walking around the neighbourhood for a while trying to clear my mind of what had just happened, I finally decided to get back to my house.
"Hey Mike! Did you have a good time at Tony's?" My mum asked cheerily.
"Uh, yeah, it was great." I said, quickly making my way upstairs towards my bedroom, I really wasn't in the mood for a chat with her after what had happened.

I lay on my bed staring up at my ceiling, still shaken up over what had just happened. Was Tony's dad always like this? He told me to leave, but Tony was left there with him, is Tony okay? Shit, I'm an awful person. Why didn't I stay and help Tony? For all I know, he could've been beaten by his own father and I've just run away from it all. I mentally cursed myself. I felt useless, and over thinking it was just getting me nowhere. I need to know that Tony's alright.

Picking up my phone, I start dialing Tony's number. I start to panic when he didn't pick up after the first few rings, but finally after what felt like hours, he picked up.

"Hey." Tony said quietly, after a momentary silence.

"Tony? Oh my god, are you okay? I'm so sorry for leaving, he didn't hurt you did he? I should have stayed and helped I'm so-" I whispered quickly down the phone, trying to be quiet as to not alarm anyone in my family, before Tony stopped me.

"Mike, I'm fine, honestly. My dad just doesn't really like people coming back to my house, okay?"

"Is it because he's not okay with you being gay? Tony, are you sure you're fine? Promise me he didn't hurt you?" I rambled on at him.

"I promise, Mike. I've got to go, I'll talk to you about it tomorrow." Tony said, a slight hint of impatience in his voice. "And Mike, will you promise me something?"

"Yeah, what is it?" I ask.

"Don't tell anybody about this, please?"