Chapter 54

We started to hear voices in the outdoor patio area, so we stood up and walked back, hand in hand. The night was dark now and it was harder to make out the path, so I followed him closely, practically stuck to his back as we escaped the hedges that now resembled a maze. He realized that I couldn't see and started tugging us in random directions, nearly pulling us into bushes and objects that were planted around the yard. We were both laughing when we escaped and stepped onto the concrete dining area. Warm light spilled out from the open doors and shone on the faces of the Kellys' guests. 

Couples cheered as they saw Asher and beckoned us over, eager to be introduced to the girl that Asher liked. I played the role politely, introducing myself and blushing as older women complimented my beauty and older men said that Asher had better be good to me. They were kind and welcoming, making jokes and inviting me to sit with them which made my heart warm.

I was surprised by how relaxed I felt as Asher led me from table to table. His hand stayed glued to mine the entirety of the time and his grip was firm and anchored me. I looked up at him fondly and smiled when he noticed. I hoped he could feel the gratitude that emanated as he protected me.

After meeting all his parents' friends and catching up with his parents, we headed inside to get food.

"Are you a big eater?" Asher asked, patting his toned stomach. "Because I'm getting one of everything and I don't want you judging me!" I laughed as he winked.

"I'm not really with dinner... but dessert is a different matter," I said, eyeing the cream puffs and something that smelled chocolatey. We grabbed plastic plates and utensils and packed our plates until they were bending under the weight of our selections, before heading back outside. We sat at a glass table with Asher's parents on scratchy outdoor seats, chuckling as they made fun of our full plates.

"You'd think we never feed him," Asher's dad said to one of his friends who belted out a huge laugh. Asher rolled his eyes and made a face to his mom, who leaned over to brush his face sweetly.

I checked my phone subtly when my phone vibrated and saw a text from Charlotte asking if I was doing alright. I texted back immediately telling her that I was having an amazing night. She sent back blushing emojis and then one throwing up, which I assumed was accidental. I texted Dominic as well, telling him that we were just starting dinner so I wouldn't need him any time soon. He sent back a simple "Ok" immediately.

I tucked my phone under my thigh and caught up to the conversation before the focus turned to me.

"So, Maya, do you know what you want to be when you grow up?" Mrs. Kelly asked, beaming at me.

"Umm... not a police officer," I replied with a laugh, making the many cops who had shown up boo or make jokes.

 "I mostly just want to be someone that helps people. I'm not sure where I'll end up," I answered honestly, hoping she could tell my sincerity. It seemed like a cheat of an answer, but it was true. I really struggled to visualize my future mentally. It felt like it was something that belonged to the people who dreamed of weddings, occupations, and families... not to me. When I closed my eyes to envision it, all I saw was me standing at my current age, being my current self.

"That's beautiful, dear!" she said, reaching out a hand and gripping mine. I smiled inwardly a little, realizing that physical affection was her preferred way of loving her family and friends. I squeezed her hand back and her shoulders relaxed, in what I hoped was affirmation of the girl Asher had chosen to date

For the rest of the dinner, Asher and I talked about classes and our families and then ultimately our group of friends. He updated me on what I was missing at school and how everyone was doing. I was pleased to hear that JJ, Cassie, and Lucy were doing well although a pang of jealousy shot through me at the mention of their adventures.

"And then, of course, Mav got in-school suspension," he said, giving me a look reproving his actions but also bemused. I gasped at that. Magnus wasn't a bad student by any means, he just enjoyed a good joke.

"What did he do?" I exclaimed, leaning in as his voice quieted.

"You know how we were studying squids in marine biology?" he asked. My mind threw out possibilities of what had happened, but I was at a loss. Did he get suspended for failing the assignment?

"Yeah?" I asked, confused. Asher looked eager to deliver the punchline and I giggled at his broad grin. 

"He took out the ink sac and squeezed it in a girl's face." He announced fervidly. I could tell he wasn't proud of his friend, but he was also trying not to laugh. It was kind of funny.

"Why?" I demanded, grabbing his arm, and laughing at the image. He flicked a glance down at my hand and smiled more softly, before continuing his story.

"He heard that girl Camille making fun of Lucy and Cassie. He told her to stop but she refused. So... ink sac." He explained, shaking his head as he saw my saddened face. Those girls were angels, they didn't deserve to hear any of the things people said that weren't kind. A voice in my head asked if I deserved the same thing, but I ignored it for the time being. 

"That's kind of brilliant. I actually love him for that," I said, shoveling a cream puff in my mouth and waving for him to go on.

"Also in recent news, we're 90% positive that JJ's boyfriend is in our grade. She's still not telling us anything, but Lucy saw a text from him asking if they could meet at their classroom before they went in," he said, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

"We still don't know who he is? Aren't you going to be a detective or something?" I asked, pushing on his chest. He cracked open his can of soda and took a sip, rolling his eyes.

"Thanks for the updates. I'm really missing you guys," I said, mentally sinking as I remembered the situation. He sighed too, sharing a compassionate look with me. He put his hand on my shoulder and rubbed it softly, trying to comfort me. I gave him an encouraging look, trying to show that I was alright. I hated when people were worried about me or felt bad for me.

"We miss you too. Is it hard to be home all day?" he asked softly.

"A little," I admitted, although I hated to be unoptimistic. "It's just lonely. My mom is working, and Dominic has classes and works too, so I just have to wait for my brothers all day long!"

 His lip quirked up a little at that.

"You really love your brothers, huh?" he asked.

"No! They're dumb," I replied immediately. He and I both laughed at the obvious lie.

"Sometimes Caleb visits our table at lunch now. I think it's because he misses you," he said, raising his eyebrows and taking another bite of his food. I squinted my eyes, severely doubting that. We finished our meals as we compared experiences with our worst teachers and hardest tests and then leaned back so our stomachs could stretch out a little.

We talked and joked with everyone as we ate, andI had a lot more fun than I could've imagined. Before I met the Anders,I didn't know that family and friends could be like this. There was a camaraderiethat existed in the air itself, spreading over everyone at the tables like awarm blanket. I was grateful that they let me be a part of it.