Chapter 22

My phone buzzed suddenly with a call from Dominic. I considered ignoring it, but if it was an emergency, I wanted to know. I told Magnus that I would be right back, and I ran outside to take the call. I held the door for people who were just walking in and went to sit on the driveway so I could get some distance. I faced away from the door so people who walked past couldn't overhear my conversation.

"Hello?" I asked breathlessly as I leaned back onto the concrete.

"Maya! Thanks for answering," he said, sounding surprised.

"Of course, what's up?" I asked, trying to make sure I sounded normal. I wasn't tipsy enough to slur my speech, but I did feel a little light-headed. The breeze outside helped calm me, and I was suddenly glad that Cassie had cut me off. If I didn't have a friend to stop me, I don't know that I would've.

"I was just checking in to make sure you're okay and don't need me yet?" he asked with a hint of panic in his voice. I smiled ruefully.

"Yes Dom, I'm completely fine," I said, shaking my head. This poor boy worried way too much about me.

"Okay! Good!" he said, letting out a sigh. "Well, I'm at Christine's house, only about 10 minutes away so just tell me when you need me!"

"I will!" I said, standing up and preparing to cancel the call.

"Maybe half an hour more, and then I'll come and get you?" he implored, making me giggle. I checked the clock to see that it was past midnight already.

"Fine," I replied, rolling my eyes. I had broken enough rules tonight, I could stand to listen to him a little bit more.

 "Perfect! See you then!" I heard him say before I disconnected the call.

Suddenly, across the street, a streetlamp flickered and burnt out with a zapping sound. I strained my eyes through the dark and could've sworn I saw a figure standing across the street beneath it. They were still, not beside a car or any house. They were just standing there. I couldn't tell which direction they were facing, but it almost seemed like they were watching me. Goosebumps rose on my arms, and I jumped to my feet, stretching my arms out to balance as I stood. They didn't move an inch.

My heartbeat picked up and I spun towards the door immediately, running to grab the handle. I pushed it forward and then pulled it towards me, but the door didn't move. My hand was sweating slightly, so I wiped it on my jeans to see if I could get a better grip, but it still didn't budge. The door had somehow locked. I knocked on the door and waited for a response, but if someone heard me, they ignored it.

I threw my hair over my shoulder as I turned to see the dark figure still facing this way. Was it just me, or had they gotten even closer? Even from a distance, I could tell the person was taller than I was and much broader. They cocked their head to the side as they seemed to notice me and began walking closer.

Losing all sense of dignity, I slammed my fists on the door, trying to be heard over the music. I looked to see the person still coming closer and I tried to hold back sobs as I realized it could be him.

I pounded harder still, resorting to kicking the door, as the man reached the end of the driveway. My vision started to blur, and my legs became useless as he walked up the driveway towards me. I started to faint and felt strong hands catch me, before dragging me away from the house.