Chapter 52

The kitchen had a warm atmosphere as usual with sunlight shining through the light curtains and the smell of something baking in the air. Charlotte threw on a pair of red oven mitts and pulled out a tray of blueberry muffins just as the others walked through the door. They ran to her side and hugged her as they tried to grab the scalding treats and Dominic and I looked at each other. She waved them off like flies and started pulling the muffins out onto a tray as the boys watched it, drooling.

"You forgot to say hi to us!" I chastised loudly, pointing at Dom and me. They snorted as they placed their muffins on plates with matching grins.

"Sorry baby," Damon teased. "We forgot the world revolves around you, how silly of us." He took a bite of his snack as I gasped, and our family cracked up.

"Damon, are you my appendix? Because you're annoying and completely unnecessary," I said with a sweet smile as our family laughed again. Damon glared at me, but his smile was unflinching on his face, showing that he respected me fighting back.

 "Well, in other news, I have a question to ask," I announced grandly, turning to Charlotte. She flipped the sink off and wiped her hands on a towel before smiling at me.

"Ask away," she encouraged, grabbing one of her muffins and taking a seat beside Brooks.

"Well, first of all, I know I'm not supposed to be leaving the house and I'm being mostly good about that!" I said, fudging the truth a little bit. "But Asher invited me to a gathering at his parent's house tonight and I really need to go."

"Is 'gathering' a code word for party?" Damon asked with a half-smile.

"No!" I said, shaking my head rapidly and whipping my hair around my face. "He said his parents' friends are going to be there and that's it! Nobody our age is coming, that's why he wants me there."

I widened my eyes and clasped my hands together as I faced Charlotte. She looked like she was weighing the pros and the cons, so I stuck my lower lip out and defended my argument.

 "Asher's parents are cops so it'll be very safe, and we won't be alone together, and Dominic can even drive me!" I pleaded in one long, rambling sentence. I pointed at Dominic as I finished making my deal.

"Hey! What if I'm busy tonight?" he said arrogantly, crossing his arms over his chest. I rolled my eyes and replied, "Then we have three other backup drivers. Chill."

 He slid a towel from the counter and winded it up before whipping it towards me, sharply hitting my butt. I squealed and grabbed my upper leg, looking at him furiously.

"Ow!" I said angrily, grabbing a spatula from the counter and whacking him back. I used my full strength, and we all paused as it hit him firmly in the thigh with a loud crack. A smile crept onto my face as we all took in his shocked expression. I was sure nobody had ever done that to him before.

"You're dead!" he shouted as the others started laughing at my confidence. I screamed and bolted into the living room as he started spinning the towel again. I ran around the couch as he chased me, and over behind the dining room table, then back to the kitchen. I jumped behind Damon and by Charlotte, knowing one of them would stop Dominic.

He was a step behind me but screeched to a stop when he saw my guards. I was nearly out of breath but laughed when he leaned back against the countertop and stopped for the time being. I stood up, eyeing him to make sure he didn't move.

"So, can I go?" I asked Charlotte when Dominic remained still. "I'll be very mature! You can even text me the whole time!"

She tapped her finger on her lip as her eyes rolled to the ceiling and then cracked a smile.

"You can go," she decided. "As long as you follow all those rules and don't leave the Kelly's property. No wandering down the street or driving out for a milkshake! And you better not be drinking, even if Asher's parents offer something. I would assume they wouldn't since you're underage but..." 

I stopped her rambling with a hug, and she melted into the touch, cutting off her sentence and nodding her head decisively.

"YES!" I shouted, pumping my fist in the air. "Suck it!" I said, pointing to Dominic.

He rolled his eyes as Caleb and Brooks laughed.

"You still need a ride, idiot." He said, cocking an eyebrow and smirking at me.

"Damn it. Can you please take me, Dom?" I asked nicely, making everyone laugh.