Chapter 15

I fell asleep last night without even attempting to explain my behavior to Asher. But this morning, he deserved an answer.

I picked up my phone and wiped my puffy eyes before planning what to write. I wasn't exactly sure what he had seen because Dominic had whisked me away so fast... I wasn't sure what I needed to apologize for. 

M: I'm sorry about last night. That movie triggered something that really upset me. I should've explained before you left, but I didn't feel up to it. :( So sorry.

An answer didn't come immediately, and I didn't expect it to. I sighed and got up, going to my bathroom to shower and try to forget about it. It was probably the last I would see of him anyway. I wondered if he would tell our friends what had happened. I cringed when I considered what they would all think of me. 

The word slut whipped through my mind in his voice. I closed my eyes and refocused, then turned on the hot water. It hissed to life and made a peaceful sound as it splashed on the shower floor like rain.

I brought my phone into the bathroom to play some sad acoustic music and really fall into my feelings. Some might perceive it as moping, but I think sometimes I just needed a moment to feel sad.

Before I got in, I saw a text on my phone. It wasn't Asher.

M: Party on Friday at my house! You're not in school so you can't say you're studying. You coming? 

I texted Magnus back with a little smile on my lips because he knew me too well. 

M: Is it going to be crazy like last time? I can still feel the pounding in my head.

M: No, it's more of a kickback. Just close friends.

What the hell is a kickback? I'd have to ask one of the boys later.

M: Sounds good!  :)

I cringed when I realized Asher would probably be there. He wasn't the type to speak badly about me right in front of my face, but I couldn't stop the mental image of it from paralyzing my mind.

To avoid overthinking, I swiftly turned on a relaxing song and got into the shower.