Chapter 53

We took the car to Asher's house because I had curled my hair and didn't want to ruin it on the bike. Even when you wear a braid on a motorcycle, your hair gets knotted beyond belief. That wasn't exactly how I wanted to meet Asher's parents. I shifted in my seat and twisted my hands in my lap, trying to imagine how I wanted to be standing when I met them.

"Are you nervous?" Dominic asked with a grin, knowing this was my first time meeting any guy's parents. His fingers drummed the steering wheel along to the alternative music he was playing softly.

"I mean I met them already when they interrogated me... but that kind of makes it worse, doesn't it?" I asked, lifting one leg at a time, and trying to straighten out my dress. It was a lovely dark purple color that had the occasional rhinestone, sort of resembling the night sky.

"I think it does make it worse," Dominic chuckled, looking over at me and appraising my nervousness.

"But it'll be great! Asher already loves you, so his parents will too. Just be yourself," he said, nodding his head. I took a deep breath and nodded back, feeling my stomach rumble nervously. I tried to seem like that answer had helped but I cracked only seconds later.

"How do I be myself?" I begged, spinning to the side when my confidence leaked out.

Dominic twisted his mouth to one side as he contemplated that. We took a sharp turn and I nearly fell onto him, making him smile.

"Be kind, be polite, be warm. You made all of us like you, even Damon." He reminded me cheerfully. 

It was a fair argument. Damon had a hard exterior I didn't think I would ever crack. Dominic did too, for that matter. He took another hard turn and pulled to a stop in front of a beautiful white house with Mediterranean tiles lined around the door. It was massive, but not as big as the Anders' place. I squealed apprehensively as he turned the lights off and stopped the car. Was I supposed to get out now? Did I knock on the door or text Asher?

"Go," Dominic laughed, pushing my shoulder so I fell onto the door beside me. "Knock on the door and text me when you need me. It better not be within the next hour. Have fun!" he said, unlocking my door and practically forcing me out.

I ran across the pavement and up the steps to their house, willing myself not to trip. I didn't want to show up with an injury when I was already fighting an uphill battle. I knocked on the door quickly and turned around to wave to Dominic. He waved back with a smile but didn't start the car, which I knew he wouldn't do until I was safely inside. I had to admire his over-protectiveness sometimes. He was willing to do anything to keep me safe.

The door pulled open and I saw Asher's mom standing there with a warm smile on her face. She was wearing a dress quite similar to mine and had her long black hair up in a bun that was neat and beautiful. Little loose tendrils of her curled hair fell beside her cheeks and made her look effortless. She certainly seemed welcoming and not disapproving. I nearly sighed in relief but pulled myself together long enough to introduce myself. As I spoke, I heard the car wheels crunch on the gravel road and speed off down the street. 

"Nice to see you again, Maya! I'm Mrs. Kelly, Asher's mom. We are so excited to have you tonight! I'm sure Asher told you we're having some friends over tonight and he really didn't want to be tolerating all their obtrusive questions." She said, giving me a wink. I laughed a genuine laugh and walked inside as she waved me in.

The inside of their house was beautiful. There were all sorts of colors employed in each room, from woodsy browns to russet red. Couches were draped with pillows and blankets decorated with unique designs. There were knick-knacks and all sorts of interesting objects on display like a set of old binoculars and a map with rainbow-colored pins stuck all over it. I walked up to it and my jaw dropped as I looked at the range.