Chapter 19

I had a surprisingly hard time picking an outfit out for the kickback. I asked Caleb what the word meant, and he tried to explain, in his own way.

"It's kind of like a party but more relaxed." He said, leaning forward on the couch to focus on his video game. He leaned his body as he tried to move the vehicle he was driving virtually, before slamming buttons to shoot someone nearby.

"What does that mean?" I begged, shaking his arm to focus him. He shot me a glare that was darker than any expression I'd seen on his face before, and I let go slowly as he got back to his game. He slammed on more buttons and tried to outrun what appeared to be poisonous gas. I waited patiently for him to die and then inched closer to him with an expectant look on my face. He chuckled and set down his controller while he thought of the right words.

"There are fewer people, but also it can get wild. But then again, not always. But it can," he described, thinking back to his experiences. I tried not to bust out laughing. Instead, I thanked him and walked away before he could wonder why I had asked.

That was absolutely no help at all.

Now, I was debating between a casual dress or ripped jeans and a shirt. If I saw Asher, regardless of our issues, I wanted to look stunning. On the other hand, Dominic would get suspicious if I looked too good.

I threw on my favorite pair of jeans and a tank top that made me look good but was also faded and old. Nothing suspicious about that, right?

I smiled and squeezed my hands together in my lap as Dominic drove to the house I plugged into maps. In all honesty, it was a random house I found that was two blocks away from Magnus's house. I didn't think he would notice.

"So, what are you girls doing tonight?" Dominic asked in a tone that seemed very forced. He coughed to punctuate the awkwardness, and I laughed.

"You're like an old dad taking his daughter to the prom," I teased, looking at him. He broke into a reluctant grin and chuckled, running his tongue over his teeth and looking at me.

"You're silly." He said, making me laugh. I felt a twinge in my stomach as I realized I was lying to him tonight. I looked out my window and focused on the bright streetlamps that illuminated the sidewalk and houses. I saw a girl out jogging in a neon top and shorts and wondered vaguely how she felt confident enough to do that. Didn't she know the dangers of being outside? Was she being brave, or just oblivious?

"But really! What are you girls up to tonight?" Dominic asked, eyes glued to the road.

I tried to calm down by reminding myself there would be girls there. It wasn't a full lie, just a partial truth.

"Probably just watching movies or talking," I said with a nonchalant shrug.

"Cute." He said, with a hint of a smirk. Somehow, I felt that despite what I said he imagined us to be playing with dolls or having a tea party. I rolled my eyes and he laughed, guessing what I was thinking.

"I know, I know. You're not a little kid." He said, rolling his eyes like he wasn't convinced.

"Good," I said, flushing because I knew he didn't believe it.

"You going to be drinking tonight?" he asked seriously, looking me in the eyes now and breaking the banter.

I squirmed and he knew my answer, so I gave him an honest one. "Possibly," I said in a high-pitched tone, looking very confident in myself.

"You're not legally allowed to drink, and you know I hate it." He said, face serious and stern. I huffed and crossed my legs over each other, looking out the window.

"Maya," he said as a warning.

"Dominic," I mocked back, deepening my voice. He sighed.

"Look, I know that you think it'll be fine and that nothing will happen, but I need you to be safe." He pleaded, giving me a beseeching look.

"I will be safe!" I pleaded back. Neither of us was willing to budge on this. He parked on the side of the road, and I was confused until I realized we were outside the random house I chose.

"I think she said we're meeting out back so I'm going to go through the side gate," I warned him, trying to think of my cover story. He didn't even notice.

"Drinking?" he asked, reminding me of his worry.

"Fine! I won't drink," I said, getting out quickly and shutting the door behind me. "Just kidding," I whispered under my breath, fighting the hint of a smile. I wasn't going to be Maya tonight, with all her worries and anxiety and fear. I was going to be bad, and that meant breaking some rules. I walked up to the side of the house until Dominic's car pulled out of sight, and then I turned and walked in the exact opposite direction. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N Hey you guys! I have a plan for how the rest of this book is going to go, but I wanted to see if you wanted anything in particular! Any ideas or characters or scenes you're dying to read?