Chapter 24

I tried to think of a cover story as I ran. My friends and I were just walking down the street for fun! Or maybe I could just say it was none of his business? 

When I reached the car, I threw open the door and hopped inside, smiling at Dominic. I decided the best strategy would be to act absurdly nicely and hope he would get thrown off by how sweet I was acting. 

I smiled with my teeth and buckled up immediately, not waiting for him to force me to put on my seatbelt like I normally did. He gave me a suspicious but pleased look. I bet he thought his strictness was finally teaching me something. He put the car in drive and started rolling us down the road, without any questioning.

 "Hi! How are you?" I asked, deflecting. I tried not to laugh at how stupid my own plan was.

"I'm good," he said, giving me a knowing smile as he realized I was up to something. "How are you?"

"Great!" I said, acting bubbly. "Did you and Christine hang out? Was that fun?"

Christine was his girlfriend who I adored, and he never got enough time to spend with her. Between his classes, working, and looking out for me, he never got enough time for her. 

His mouth formed an infinitesimal smile involuntarily and I tried not to gush with excitement.

"You love her!" I teased, leaning over onto his arm.

"Do not," he replied, popping his elbow to bump me off. 

"What about you?" he asked. "How was Asher?"

"Good!" I replied cheerfully before my face dropped. "I mean the night was good, with the girls. Asher wasn't there because he was busy and because it was a girls-only thing." 

Dominic let out a dark chuckle at my rambling and kept his eyes on the road. I was secretly thrilled he wasn't glaring at me but worry rolled in my stomach now that he knew I lied to him.

"I'm sorry!" I apologized, giving in immediately. I wiggled in my seat as he remained silent.

"I didn't mean to," I lied, wavering when he gave me a strict look. "Okay, I meant to, but I don't want to get in trouble."

He laughed loudly at my brazenness and said, "Well, too bad. Mom is not going to be happy about this."

My stomach sank as I realized I might disappoint Charlotte. I wanted to do nothing more than make her proud eternally. I dropped my face in my hands and for the first time, felt a semblance of regret.

"Please Dominic, please can we not tell her?" I asked, giving him my most adorable face. I tried to crouch down so I looked even smaller, playing the younger sister thing to my advantage. He snorted and shook his head.

"No. You lied and said you were going to your friend's house. Were there even any girls there?" he asked, turning to laser focus on my eyes and force the truth out of me.

"Of course there were!" I admonished him. "I mostly hung out with girls but there were boys there too, okay? I didn't even think Asher was going to come!"

He made a sound like he was thinking about my answer and then looked at me.

"You mean it?" he asked gruffly.

"Yes!" I said, widening my eyes to show him I was being honest.

He rolled to a stop at a stop sign and then took off down our street, eventually winding past our gate and up to the house. I waited for him to say he would let it go, just this once.

"I need to be honest with her, even if it makes you hate me," he decided as he parked the car. I released a huge breath as the tension left my body.

"But Dom!" I whined, nerves growing as I wondered what Charlotte would do. I'd never seen her mad before. Would she yell or send me to my room or do something worse?

"My, if you're honest with us, we'll be honest with you." He said, getting out of the car and walking inside without stopping. I got out of the car and scurried inside behind him.

The second I had crossed the threshold, he turned and pointed. His face was frozen and even when I smiled sheepishly, it stayed in place.

"She's in her office. Do you want to tell her, or do you want me to?" he asked blankly.

My throat grew thick with something, and I couldn't speak. I dropped my head low and walked to her office, opening the door softly and slowly in case she was busy.

"Mom? Can I come in?" I asked, praying that she had gone to sleep at a reasonable hour for once. 

"Sure, sweetheart! Welcome home," she replied as I walked in. She popped a couple of candies into her mouth from a bowl on her desk and offered me some. I sat down in my chair per routine and refused with a little laugh.

"Is that how you're staying awake?" I asked.

"Well, I needed to make sure you got home safely!" she defended.

 "That was Dominic's job," I said shrewdly, giving her a look. I was pretty sure it was the look she normally gave me.

"I was worried about you. Going out with friends at night when the police still have no new updates on your uncle..." she trailed off melancholically. Her blue eyes stayed trained on the carpet until I spoke.

"I actually came in here tonight to tell you something," I said, forcing myself to be brave. She won't hit you or yell at you.

"Yeah?" she asked softly, giving me room to speak.

"I did something bad," I blurted out, standing up from the chair. She looked curious, but not angry, which gave me the strength to continue.

"I wasn't just seeing my friends tonight... there was a party, and I went, and I drank a little and I got locked out and I thought I saw a man b-but I don't know what I saw and- and..." I took in huge gulps of air as I struggled to express everything from the night. My head began pounding as I realized how close tonight came to being dangerous. I waited for Charlotte's reaction, but she didn't say a word.

Instead, she opened her arms and scooted over to make room on her couch. I ran over and sat on the arm of the chair, leaning toward her, and letting her hug me. I hugged her back fiercely as my hyperventilating became crying. She rubbed my back and held me close, not saying anything about how dangerous it was or how terrible I was for lying to her.

After a couple of minutes like this, I pulled back and was more contained. She watched me as if expecting me to fall apart again.

"You can yell at me now," I said, giving a watery chuckle when she began laughing.

"I don't need to, Maya. You know what you did wasn't the smartest or safest thing to do. I think you learned your lesson." She said, patting me on the knee.

"I'm glad you got to see your friends," she said as I gave her a hug before heading up to my room. "But I'm even more glad that you're safe."