Chapter 9

I typed up a text, then deleted it and rewrote it, and then deleted it again. Ultimately, I settled on a message that got to the point while still being nice.

Hey Asher! I'm so sorry I can't come over today, but I wanted to know if you'd like to come over for dinner. My fam really wants to meet you :)

I saw the three dots indicating him typing and then a response popped up.

I'd love that! Whattime should I be there? Should I bring anything?

I gave him the time and told him he'd be fine bringing just himself. Now I just had to tell the boys. Everyone was in the kitchen when I got downstairs. I noticed they'd all been home a lot since I found out about my uncle. I wasn't sure if they wanted to stay for their peace of mind or mine. Either way, I wasn't going to complain.

"Boys! I have an announcement!" I said with mock importance, jumping up to sit on the counter. Dominic sat at the countertop bar area beside me with Caleb, and Brooks and Damon were at the table. They eyeballed me with apprehension, making me giggle as I thought of how to phrase the news.

"Yes?" Brooks asked suspiciously, setting down his fork.

"Keep eating! It's not that big of a deal." I said, heart pounding. At least it wasn't racing due to trauma, today.

"What're you up to, sneaky?" Dominic asked warily.

"Why don't you let her talk so she can tell us!" Caleb answered sarcastically. Dominic grabbed him under his arm, and they began fighting on the barstools as I groaned.

"Focus!" I shouted. They froze and looked back at me. I laughed at their shocked expressions, knowing they were about to get a whole lot bigger.

"I'm inviting a boy over for dinner tonight and you all have to be nice to him and not embarrass me. Okay, that's all, thank you!" I said, jumping off the counter and attempting to sprint away. Brooks was faster. He sprang from his chair and grabbed the back of my shirt, tugging me into his body.

"What? Maya has a boyfriend?" he asked with a teasing smile, as the others stood up too.

"No! He's not my boyfriend he's just a really good friend," I explained, happy because it was true, and they couldn't be mad about that. I didn't give all the details of course, but who needed them?

"So, you don't like him or want to date him?" Dominic asked blankly. A small smile crept onto his face as he saw me look down and start to fidget.

"Well, I mean..." I stammered, trying to think of an answer that walked the line between true and false.

"Maya has a boyfriend! Maya has a boyfriend!" Caleb shouted, bouncing up from his chair and skipping over to me. He placed a kiss on my cheek and shouted, "She wants to kiss him and date him and marry him!"

"What are you, five?" I demanded, embarrassed. I didn't want all those things anyway. Well, maybe the first one... okay, and the second.

"No," Caleb replied with a straight face. "If I were five, I'd be singing 'Maya and her boyfriend sitting in a tree, K-i-s-s-i-n-g'!" He tried to get an arm around me so that he could sing directly into my eardrum, but I pushed him away and tried to escape again.

Dominic came over this time, stepping in front of the doorway and blocking it as Damon came up behind me. Brooks had let me go but was still close enough for me to be trapped.

"Who is this boy?" Dominic interrogated, using his scariest voice. He was trying to be intimidating.

"Is he from your school? Did you meet at a party? Oh god, he's like thirty, isn't he?" Brooks asked, massaging his temples with his hands.

"I met him at school. He's my age. You'll meet him tonight!" I answered, trying to dodge them and get out of there.

As I reached Dom, I feinted right then ducked left and slipped under his arm before zipping out of the room.

"Have you guys kissed yet?" Dominic called up the stairs as I nearly reached my bedroom.

"None of your business!" I yelled. Damon stayed mercifully quiet.

"If you don't tell me, I'll just ask him," Dominic threatened, and I could hear the smile in his voice. The others laughed and there was the unmistakable sound of a high five.

"Do it! See if I care!" I replied, before rushing inside and slamming the door to my bedroom.

This was not going to be pretty.