Epilogue

The candles lighting the dark room flickered ominously, leaving the smoke to waft around and partially obscure the view of the hulking figure sitting on his throne. Those dark, impenetrable eyes bore into his soul, even with his body bowed and head ducked to convey his utmost respect. Shaking with an intensity that knew no bounds, he silently awaited his judgment. His patrol had been brutally slaughtered, if not, viciously maimed. He swallowed, he remembered the screams, the effects of which would leave scars on his mind for the remainder of his life, however long that may be. It could be minutes more or years, the latter of which felt more unlikely as each second of reserved quiet stretched by.

"You let your attachments cloud your judgment." Stephan rumbled. The man in the mask dared not say a word for fear of a merciless onslaught. His master's voice reverberated in his mind over and over, an endless and deep, dark pit that sank on for eternity. That was the amount in which this man's thunderous bass deepened. "I'm sure you've seen the punishments passed on to your patrol?"

The masked man could not speak past the lump in his throat. He nodded once, a stiff and unnatural movement in those moments. He could barely breathe, even. If he inhaled too loudly, his head may be served on a platter for the pigs in the farmyard. Stephan continued to be silent, then his voice persisted to torture him. "Emotions. Tell me, what are they like? What such things would allow you to absolve your success?"

The masked man shuddered in a gasp as he replied shakily, "Regardless of feelings, it's inexcusable...master." To his relief, Stephan appeared to very much enjoy that reply.

"You've proven yourself useful to me." Stephan drawled. The masked man nodded hastily, accepting what little praise was allowed to roll off of his masters tongue. But there would be no rescue from his situation, no team to come to deliver salvation from the sin in which he'd committed. Treason for not destroying the enemy he'd been commanded to snuff out once he'd had the chance. "For the time being, I will let you return to your colleagues. Continue your post, your position."

"Th-thank you, master." Before he could leave, Stephan interrupted him.

"And Benjiro?"

"Yes?"

"Do not disappoint me again."