Chapter Fourteen | Jasper

Ash stumbled away from Jasper, his hands dripping scarlet onto the sandy ground below. His teeth were clenched hard, blue eyes blazing. "Is that good enough, Master?" He asked, looking up at Luke. His gaze was intense, focused. "Did I hurt him real bad this time?" Jasper's heart ached, not from the pain, but from the eagerness in the young boy's voice. All he wanted was the approval of his father figure and he'd do anything to get it. Even torture.

That's how children are, isn't it? Jasper thought to himself. They want love. They'll hurt people to get it. And they can't understand just how permanent the consequences are. He didn't bother fighting back the tears anymore, it was too much to ignore. But he still wouldn't give up. He never would. That's why their recruits are younger now. Jasper realized. Because older people are harder to manipulate. He couldn't help but think part of that might be his fault. He shook his head to frantically clear that thought. Their actions aren't your fault. Only yours are. You've taken responsibility for what you've done. But a child can't.

Luke strolled closer to Jasper, his arched brows narrowing. A scowl tugged at his lips, "It'll do." It was heartbreaking how much that little bit of praise seemed to please the young apprentice. "Run along now, you've had your fun. It's time for the grown ups to talk now." Jasper watched as Ash retreated over to a group of apprentices that had crowded around Kayla, who was handing out their lunch--fresh bread and cooked venison--scents that made Jasper lightheaded from even a euphoric thought of good food. Luke's face interrupted his thoughts as the man knelt down, forcing Jasper to look at him.

Jasper attempted to tear away from his ex, but Luke's hand only gripped harder onto his jaw. "Let--go!" He thrashed, snapping his teeth at the other man. I'll bite you, motherfucker. Don't test me. He let out a pitiful yelp before he could stop it as Luke grabbed roughly onto his hair and forced his head to the side. "Luke--what are you doing?" He demanded, teeth clenched. He barely resisted the urge to spit in the other man's face. "Let go of me you-!" Once again, Jasper was reprimanded, this time with rough jerk.

"Shut up." Luke growled softly. "And listen."

Every instinct screamed at Jasper to fight back, to headbutt Luke or shove him away. But the binds that bit into his arms were enough to hold him back. We was tied to a post, there was nothing he could do. "What do you want?" Jasper finally conceded, panting hard. "What could you possibly still want from me today?"

Luke used his free hand to retrieve a sharp pocket knife from his boot, flipping the blade open and idly inspecting it. The sun's rays bounced across the metal, reflecting onto Jasper's arm. He clenched his teeth. Oh, you definitely were the kind of kid to burn ants with a magnifying glass, weren't you? The longer it stayed there, the more it began to burn. "You're going to tell me everything you know about the Reaper's."

"Reaper's?" Jasper was incredulous. Why would I know anything about them? He raged internally. "What the hell would I know about them? I haven't spent any time near them at all. Only thing-"

"Ah, sorry. Mixed up with names. So many groups in this state, you know." Luke said. Jasper got the feeling his 'mix up' was intentional. Judging by the glare on Luke's face, he just wanted an excuse to burn Jasper longer than necessary. Jasper's eyes began to water, all of his pain began to slowly travel and focus on that single point. "You spent time with the Freebird's. You know how their people work, where they are, how they're structured."

"I'm not-"

"Not even if I tell you how that special little puppy of yours is doing?" Luke purred.