Chapter Fifty-Eight | Jasper

Leaving Killian back in Clemont's Town while he left for a raid was painful for Jasper. They'd only just gotten back together a day or two prior, now he had to leave his bedside once again? "I'm sure he'll be just fine." Darren said. Best part about having a friend like him, they always know what you're thinking. Worst part is the same thing, they always know what you're thinking. "He's got a doctor watching over him."

Casimir was silent, though he seemed to be tolerated Rixon's irate excitement as he spoke about getting to blow up gas stations because there was no longer anybody to stop him. He scares me, he might be a little bit insane. Jasper mused. But the man's got a weird way of making people like him. He's even got Casimir smiling. "If you try to blow anything up, I'll be the one to kick your ass for doing so." The hunter replied.

"Aw, come on now," Rixon said in his southern accent, "you're not gonna let me have any fun?" But behind his playful complaints, Jasper could tell that his friend's fascination with fire wasn't just an odd quirk, it was some kind of impulse. The man got jittery when he couldn't light up anything. I'll to make him a nice little corner with some firewood or something. "You're no fun, Blondie"

Casimir stuffed his free hand in his pocket, the other holding his bow. The quiver was strapped against his back. Jasper had brought a machete Hasan let him borrow—where the doctor had gotten it was beyond him—and his gun. Darren sported a hunting rifle, something his father had taught both him and Jasper to use when they'd gone on hunting trips. Alongside them was Raven, who had insisted on coming with. The younger man was holding an axe. "Yeah, Killian's strong." Raven said with a determined frown. "He'll be okay for a while."

Jasper paused for a few seconds, hesitating, until he worked up the courage to ask. "What...what happened to him?"

"He was already ill when he was brought in." Raven began. Jasper could tell the young hunter-in-training was reluctant to speak about what had happened with the Carvers. He didn't blame him. I don't like talking about my own traumatic stress. He probably doesn't either. But I want to know, for Killian. "He let Jess and I have his rations. Food, water, everything. But he was getting sicker by the day." Yeah, that sounds like him. "Then...then he got really, really sick."

"He looked dead." Casimir said bluntly. Darren shot the man a disgusted glare, but Jasper didn't mind. He liked the truth, even if it hurt. And by God, it did. His breath nearly fell short, he clenched his hands into fists. I didn't get there in time. If Casimir and Darren hadn't been around then...then he'd be gone. My love...my everything. He'd be...gone. "If it makes you feel better, he kept asking for you. Even on the brink of death, he just wanted you with him." That brought on a whole new wave of agony, one that almost swept the world out from under him. He needed me. He needed me and I wasn't there!

"Don't blame yourself, man." Rixon said, offering an attempt at comfort, but deep down Jasper knew—they all knew—his torment was inconsolable. "You fought like Hell trying to save him, that's all anybody could have asked out of you."

"I'm going to kill him." Jasper growled, possibly for the hundredth time. His fists shook, his teeth clenched. "I'm going to kill Stephan for what he's done to him." He interrupted the others before they could speak again. "I don't care. You're either with me or you aren't. But somebody's got to get rid of that monster and it looks like I'll be the only one with the guts to get it done."

Raven fidgeted, his hand tightened harder around the handle of his axe, his dark irises downcast. Then, a determined snarl wrinkled his nose, a new sort of fire that Jasper hadn't seen out of him until then. "I'll do it. I'll help you kill him. Me and Killian both!" He added hastily.

Casimir's lips upturned into a rare smile, the warmth of his gaze was even more surprising. "You know I'd go with you anywhere, Leader."

"I had your back since we were stupid children," Darren nodded once, "and I'll always have it. We spent most of our lives together, I won't ruin that by turning tail like a coward."