Chapter Sixty-Eight | Jasper & Killian

Killian was snuggled in the curve of his stomach and chest when Jasper woke up the next morning. The blankets were tucked tight around him, he'd decided to wear the old army jacket to bed—and nothing else—much to Jasper's delight. Seeing his name on Killian definitely did something for him. He's mine. All mine. My beautiful angel.

The hunter blinked his eyes open sleepily, then stretched out his arms and legs with a massive yawn—curled up once again, setting his chin on Jasper's chest. Cute. "G'mornin." He mumbled, playing a drowsy kiss onto his collarbone.

"Good morning, love." Jasper murmured, running his hand through Killian's hair. He could tell his boyfriend wasn't ready to wake up completely. "Do you need to stay in bed today?"

"No," Killian whispered. He nuzzled his face against Jasper's neck. "But thank you for asking." Jasper's heart fluttered. Of course I'd ask. Why wouldn't I? You deserve a good rest. But if you insist. It took a good while for them both to shake off the drowsiness of sleep and force themselves out of bed. He carefully watched his partner get dressed--of course, he wished he didn't have to, but alas, they had duties to tend to and a group to feed. Jasper slipped on his jeans and a clean shirt, holstered his weapons and pulled his jacket over his shoulders.

Killian had gotten dressed in the blink of an eye, already at the door to their bedroom by the time Jasper had fully woken up. "Excited to go out again, Boy Scout?"

"Why, aren't you?"

"I'd rather stay inside, warm and dry." Jasper teased. "But I don't have a choice. We've got things to do today, especially if we want to get out of Clemont's Town. Now that Hasan is with us, we can leave as soon as possible—the Deadwalker's medic doesn't seem all too reliable, so having Hasan there with Aubrey will definitely make me feel a bit better."

"I'm anxious too." Killian admitted. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Jackson's like my brother. So their kid...I'll want to be there for that. You know?"

"I know." Jasper pressed his lips against Killian's forehead. He doesn't have much family. Or, well, much that cares about him. Sometimes I doubt if Jackson cares for Killian as much as he lets on. Having a nephew or a niece would be a big deal for him. Blood is always thicker than water, whether we want to admit it or not. Family is family. "I understand. We'll get there on time, for the both of us."

Anderson would have been...so, so happy. Jasper choked back the tightening nerves that began to gather in his throat, the heat behind his eyes. I'd have to stop him from killing Jackson. Rowan and I—oh God, Rowan. Things would have been so much better if you hadn't...hadn't had to...

A soft hand interlaced their fingers. Killian always knows when something's wrong with me. He mused. Even the small things. He shook his head to his partner before he could ask what was wrong. If he talked about his old comrades he'd break down. It was too early in the morning for emotions. He shoved the thoughts of the two men behind, as far back into his mind as they could go. "I'm okay, Boy Scout." He gave their hands a reassuring squeeze.

"We've got some hunting to do, Army Man." Killian smiled in that angelic, perfect way he always managed when he was worried. Jasper offered a thank-you kiss, Killian obliged. As always, there was disappointment when their mouths parted. He wanted more. He always did. He already tolerated me enough last night. Jasper reminded himself. Calm down.

A tiny squeak from the kitchen urged Jasper to finally open their bedroom door and make his way out into the kitchen and living area. "What's going on? Phoenix, are you alright?" Before he could react, Killian rushed over to the ginger girl, who was laying on the floor with a teary-eyed frown. He scooped her up and shushed her, running his hand through her mane.