Chapter Seventy-One | Killian

Jasper had taken hours to settle down and fall asleep. His sleep hadn't been peaceful for a long time, either. But he was awake before Killian could have gotten up again the next day. When he emerged from their bedroom, Jasper was kneeling in front of Ash, holding both of the boy's hands in his own and talking softly. He asked something, then Ash nodded and began to cry. Jasper allowed the boy to wrap his arms around his neck, then picked him up and held him close against him.

The dark circles under Jasper's eyes had only grown worse. Ash was looking exhausted as well, even falling asleep with his cheek on the man's shoulder. Quietly, Jasper walked over and pressed a kiss onto Killian's forehead, leaving a patch of comfortable warmth. "Did you tell him?" Killian whispered. "Who's going to...?"

"The group will take him in." The pain in Jasper's voice was still apparent, aching in his chest. Killian set his hand where Jasper's heart would be, desperately wishing he could mend it and take away his anguish. No matter how much he wanted to steal it away though, he knew it would take a lot of time before the man he loved could truly recover. "He understands, I made sure of it. He and Phoenix—they got along yesterday?" A sigh of relief left Jasper as soon as Killian replied with a small smile and a nod. I'm relieved too. Having two children in the same group that hate each other doesn't sound like fun.

Killian picked Phoenix up with the ginger-maned girl stumbled out of her room and over to him, patting his leg to demand attention. Her delicate yawn and snuggle against his body urged an immense happiness into his heart, but something fierce as well. If anybody hurt her, I'm going to kill them. The idea of any Reaper, Silence or Carvers taking one step closer to his adopted daughter was enough to fill him with indescribable rage. "They played together okay, as far as Casimir and Rixon said." Killian explained briefly.

Jasper sighed again, then muttered, "I'm having the group leave today. I can't stay here. Not with..." He trailed off, then shook his head. "I just can't. And we need to get going anyways. Luke never said how he knew where we were, chances are The Silence and," he paused momentarily, "well, whatever's left of them, will know we're here. I'll explain more of what I pieced together when the others wake up." Killian's chest hurt even more as he touched Jasper's cheek, watching as his partner leaned into his touch. He needs to be loved now more than ever, but he's too frightened to say it.

"Jasper?" Killian murmured.

Jasper looked at him.

"You're not going to lose me." He said firmly. Jasper's eyes began to water, he nodded and blinked it away, setting his chin on top of Ash's head. The young boy's brows were narrowed, his tiny fists clenched with a frown on his lips.

Grumpy. Killian mused. Jasper's good with grumpy people. He'll be a good mentor for Ash. But Phoenix? I don't think she'd want to be a hunter. Maybe one of the other will suit her better than I do. He stopped those thoughts soon though. They're too young for us to worry about what roles they'll have or who's going to teach them. For now, they're just kids...so we should treat them that way.

Phoenix began to stir awake again once Casimir had entered the living room. The hunter cast a respectful nod in their direction, then silently began to make breakfast. He isn't as bad as I thought he was. But maybe it's because he's stopped hating me. Why did he in the first place, then? Whatever. It doesn't matter. "Down." Phoenix squeaked. Killian chuckled, then carefully set his daughter on her two feet, making sure she was completely balanced before she tumbled away to bother Cas. Her and Casimir really get along. Maybe he can be her mentor one day.

Ash jolted awake in Jasper's arms. The small boy began to cry again. Jasper sent Killian an apologetic smile, then began to soothe the child, whispering soft words as he carried him away to a quieter corner of the cabin, where he wouldn't disturb the rest of the group. Luke dumped a living, breathing, thinking human into our laps before fucking right off into the afterlife. He silently raged. It's barely any better than letting himself die without handing him to anybody. But at least he had the decency to make sure the child was safe.