Chapter Sixty-Six | Killian

Exhaustion weighed heavy on Killian's body as he laid in the dim bedroom, the soft mattress beneath him cushioning his body perfectly. Now that he was cleared and relatively healthy three days after reuniting with the group, there was talk of leaving Clemont's Town and starting back to the Gorge, where the Deadwalkers were. Jackson and Aubrey would be due soon—he wanted to be there for what was essentially the birth of his nephew or niece. He would miss his and Jasper's new room in the group cabin, but the prospect of adventure—freedom—was even more desirable than any fresh bedsheets.

A warm glow from the large candles in their bathroom illuminated part of the bed through the open door. Killian had gotten ready for sleep early—he was still working on getting his weight back up, not being as tired. Jasper had some things to take care of before he could have joined him. Now that the sun had been down for a few hours, his partner had come home and started his usual nightly routine. It was one of Killian's favorite parts of the day. A bit of normalcy for once.

Killian set his feet down on the cold hardwood panels, padding quietly across the room until he stood just outside of the door, looking in and watching Jasper. A slow smile crept across his lips. His partner was shirtless—that was always a bonus—with his disheveled hair nearly shadowing his ghostly blue eyes. The stubble on his jaw would need shaving soon, but he didn't mind it. The scruff added to his masculine charm. Entering the bathroom, Killian stood behind Jasper and wrapped his arms around the other man's waist, letting his fingers trail along the outlines of his toned stomach.

Sucking in a deep breath, Killian let the other man's scent drown him, closing his eyes and bathing in it. It was the smell of safety, love, the scent of where he belonged. "You took a long time to come home tonight." He murmured.

"You should be asleep," Jasper replied. Killian reluctantly opened his eyes when his lover's familiar palm lifted his chin. He's beautiful. He thought, reaching up to set his hand on the other man's cheek. "You need your rest." Jasper insisted. And so do you, you've got circles so dark under your eyes they looked bruised. He didn't say anything out loud, he didn't need to. His boyfriend would already know what he wanted to say. He pecked a kiss onto Jasper's lips, which earned him a smile. You know you're being a hypocrite, Army Man. Don't deny it and I get on your case.

The ground vanished beneath Killian's feet suddenly, he almost panicked until he realized he was being picked up, not falling. His lips split into a yawn. Hurry up, pretty boy. I'm sleepy. He wrapped his arms around Jasper's neck and nuzzled his face against him. "Hasan still didn't let me hunt today." He mumbled. The heat of his lover's body was addicting—he would know. But this is the good kind, the warm and fuzzy type. Not the numb type.

"I'll make sure to take you tomorrow." Jasper promised. "You and Casimir have got to get back to arguing, it's weird to see you both getting along." Killian nosed his face farther into his boyfriend's neck. It was like laying down in a nice sun spot for a nap. Basking in his lover's warmth was peaceful, safe. Jasper's lips pressed against his forehead but they didn't move away, lingering in that same spot. The corners of his mouth tilted upwards, his partner's breath tickled the sensitive skin around his brow. The strong, consistent rhythm of Jasper's heart beneath his hand relaxed him. He's still here with me, he won't be taken. Not ever again. I'll make sure of it.

"Jasper," Killian said. He'd immediately grabbed the other man's attention, receiving more kisses on his eyelids, forehead and cheeks. He barely concealed his laughter, gripping on tighter to Jasper's shoulders. "It's safe here. I don't want to leave." He worried his lower lip. "I know we have to. Stephan likes to hunt. If he gets impatient he'll burn this place to the ground and we can't put innocent people in danger like that." He looked up to find solace in those familiar blue eyes. "But I'm...I'm terrified." He admitted shakily. "I've never been more scared in my entire life."