Chapter Two | Jasper

The air was cold against Jasper's bare chest. His muscles ached with exhaustion, but an exhaustion that couldn't ever be relieved. With his arms held out by chains to prevent him from moving, it wouldn't be too long before he either got used to it or it became torturous. Dried blood covered his chest and back, some on his face and arms. The two metal posts driven into the ground on either side of him were useless to try and pull out—he'd already tried tugging them free on the first few days.

The haunting image of Killian being dragged away would forever be seared into Jasper's mind. Flashes of Tom and Chris' dead bodies haunted his already chaotic dreams. It was a relief knowing that Darren could still be alive—maybe. Doubtfully. They'd beaten him pretty badly, then left him to die in the snow. He didn't know what happened to Harley, Samantha or Keagan—he'd been beaten and dragged away before they did anything with them. He was all alone. As he deserved to be.

A wry smile twitched at the corners of Jasper's lips, humorless. The past is finally catching up, isn't it? He thought to himself, closing his eyes and laying his head against the wall of the truck. Atonement is a bitch, isn't it Adachi? He added bitterly. Now you're all alone. The door creaking open on rusty hinges was something that stopped alarming Jasper quickly. He'd heard it many times over, the haunting echo that would forever circle in his mind, alongside the screams of terror and pain he'd caused. He wasn't the only one who had. But perhaps he was the only one who held that guilt, every second of every day.

"Jasper," Luke greeted in a sing-song voice, slamming the door shut behind him. He knew better than to leave it open. That dark voice still sent a pleasant shudder down Jasped's spine—he hated it. Dark, intimidating, brooding. Those were the warning signs he'd chosen to ignore. Many would say it wasn't his fault, but Jasper knew—he'd been stupid enough to let his curiosity and blind attraction guide his judgement. "Good morning, love."

"Stop talking to me like that," Jasper rasped. He was surprised by the sound of his own voice, how cold and detached it was. They'd taken everything from him. Everything he'd built up to repay the wrongs he'd done with good instead. He'd helped random strangers, he'd lead the group, dedicated all of his time and effort to keeping them safe. But it hadn't been enough. "I'm not that man anymore, Luke. I don't love you."

The other man's touch was deceptively gentle, enticing even, as Luke lifted Jasper's chin. Those familiar eyes were too alluring, too tempting. He turned his head away, refusing to look at Luke. "But of course you do," The other man said, standing up taller and crossing his arms. "If I know, if you truly hated me you would have hurt me by now." He held up his hand, counting on his fingers, "Let's see. You've headbutted Minora, kicked Kayla in the gut, Greg got a nice bite on his hand," He pursed his lips, trying to remember. "Well, you've been very difficult, for everybody except me." Luke grinned, setting a hand on his chest. "I'm flattered, really."

Deep down, Jasper hated that Luke was right. He tightened his jaw, forcing himself not to yell out accusations and obscenities. That wasn't going to help him now. "You shouldn't be," Jasper managed to speak past his parched throat, "I'm just saving the best revenge for last."

Barking out a single laugh, Luke unsheathed a knife from his belt and pressed the blade to Jasper's chest, leaning forward and holding himself up with his hand against the wall. His nose barely touched Jasper's, their lips far too close for his liking. "Threatening me wouldn't be a good idea, Songbird."

Jasper forced himself to speak through the sudden rush of emotions that nickname brought him. "One day," He growled softly, "It won't be a threat." He couldn't hide the fact that his pulse raced every time Luke spoke, how tantalizing the other man's scent was to him. Luke was like a cobra, his eyes were hypnotic and inviting, but beneath he was nothing but a predator wrapped around his prey. "I stopped loving you a long time ago." For the first time in a long time, Jasper lied.