Chapter Thirty-Six | Jasper

The hot sun was taking a lot out of Phoenix. The small girl had her eyes narrowed against the burning rays and despite that, her tiny footsteps pattered next to Jasper with determination. He couldn't help the small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. He'd bandaged her leg after stitching up the wound to help keep it stable. She showed no signs of pain. She's a tough one. He thought.

Phoenix and Jasper had decided to give Takeo a bit of a break from carrying them both. The stallion didn't have any trouble, but he didn't want to pressure the large animal. Animals always get the best of me. Animals and children. Now I'm stuck with both...but that's alright. They're good company. He was dragged away from his inner thoughts when he heard a loud squeak from Phoenix. When he looked down, he saw that she was pointing ahead. "People!"

Friendly or hostile? Jasper didn't bother asking her, she wasn't old enough to tell the difference yet, not completely. There's a difference between intention and appearance. She can't discern that yet. "Hey there," He greeted, allowing Phoenix to hide behind him. The strangers were a small group, two women and two men. "Friendly?"

"Yea, how about you?"

"I won't raise a weapon if you don't." Jasper watched as the strangers stared at his neck cautiously. The brand. I should really cover that up. "The name's Jasper," Introductions are usually good. Friendly. Stay nice and calm. "Jasper Adachi, this is Phoenix. We're trying to head to Biter's Cove. Do you know the place?"

"Yea, we're just coming from there." The first woman said, still staring at the brand on his neck. After a good while, she turned away from it, hopefully she wouldn't pay much mind to it. None of the other Silence were branded, why would they think he was part of their group still? Unless they'd heard his name before. Word got around quicker than he thought. "You're about a day's travel away. Careful though, there's a hord that'll be passing through soon. You'll want to get there before they close the gates."

Phoenix widened her eyes, "H-hey, did you see my daddy there?" She asked. "He's got hair like me...uhm, but shorter. And he's tall! Shorter than Jasper, but a lot taller than me!"

The four people exchanged knowing glances. What's that about? Do they know him? His stomach dropped when the woman only replied, "You're going to want to get there as fast as you can. He'll want to know you're safe." She nodded to Jasper. "She is safe with you, right?"

"Yea, safe as she can be." Jasper replied with a hardened tone. God, me and her look nothing alike. They must all assume the worst immediately. "We're also looking for my boyfriend," There. That'll throw em' off my case. "He's smaller than me, taller than you. A bit of muscle, not a lot—brown curly hair, hazel eyes. He's a bit of an ass, he might have yelled at you?"

The young woman's face grew a lot warmer. Funny. Most people are the opposite when they hear I have a boyfriend. But considering Phoenix is with me...they might be a bit more relieved than judgmental. "No, we haven't seen him."

"Have you heard any word about Stephan's prisoner? They call him his companion, but that..." He set his jaw. "That's not what he is. His name is Killian, they called him Rabbit—if that helps." I'll never look at a rabbit without thinking of Stephan now. Great.

"Oh, we've heard some news about that." The woman said, "He's got a price on his head, lucky for him Stephan wants him alive. If anybody's managed to catch him I'm sure we'd hear word about it." She's hiding something. He could see her uncomfortable shifting, alonside the other three people.

"Phoenix, why don't you give Takeo some attention? He looks a bit lonely right now." The young girl became distracted, petting the stallion's nose. Jasper trained his eyes on the strangers. I'll beat it out of you all if I have to. The immediate result of violence in him had become a habit since he'd joined The Silence, even after he left. It frightened him. No, no I won't go that far. But I have to know. I have to know! "Please," he said quietly. "I'm trying to find him."