Chapter 19

"I don't understand, where exactly is this happening?" Namjoon asked Sejin as they made their way through the canteen tables. Namjoon had gotten so used to people obsequiously getting out of his way, he didn't even really notice it anymore.

"Here. In the building."

"What, in one of the big rooms?" Namjoon asked.

"No, I think in the main foyer. The big atrium bit. I think they're going to set up tables and things and a dance floor in the middle, where the staircase is.

"Oh. Okay. And you're saying...?"

"You all have to go, yes."

"Sejin, come on, give us a break."

"Sorry, this one came from Jiwon-ssi. And I think after all the trouble you guys have given him this year, you could just help him out."

"Hey, what's up?" Hoseok asked, joining the two men at the lift bank, knowing they were all going the same way.

"There's a company party for Seollal, being held here. They want you all to attend." Sejin repeated himself and Namjoon rolled his eyes a little.

"Oh, really, that sounds like such a bad idea." Hoseok's face mirrored Namjoon's. It wasn't that they hated parties, or their company, or their colleagues. It was just inevitable that people would be awkward around them. If there was alcohol involved, there might even be a couple of flirtations they'd have to dodge – for very different reasons to last year.

"It'll be a massive boost for all the staff. It will raise morale and make everyone feel really good going into the new year." Sejin argued. "All the talent is going."

"They don't want us to perform do they?" Asked Namjoon, thinking how incredibly lame that would be.

"No, I don't think so, but one of you might have to make a speech."

"Sounds like a job for leader." Hoseok teased gleefully, while Namjoon scowled.

Namjoon pulled out his phone and sent a message round to the group of eight soulmates, including Narae out of habit.

- No easy way to say this. I'll just say it. There's a company party for New Year, 21st Feb. We all have to go. No arguments please. We just have to.

Predictably, a number of them argued regardless of his plea. In the middle of a stream of grumbling messages, Narae text.

- For the whole company? Like even the Cordis?

- I assume so yes.

Namjoon replied.

- I can come too?

Narae checked and Namjoon told her he thought so.

- So all of us will be going to the same party, together, I mean, I know not together, but still, we'll all be there and having fun in the same place.

Narae didn't wait for an answer before she peppered all of their threads with little celebratory emojis and GIFs. Namjoon couldn't help but smile. Of course she would be excited. She loved hanging out with them, and, as she pointed out on the chat a moment later, she'd get to spend Seollal with them too as an added bonus.

Namjoon smiled fondly as her litany of happy emojis filled his screen. It was nice to think she was excited about it. In a world that blurred at the edges of concerts and appearances and endless fans, it was refreshing to see their privilege through her eyes. At least he'd made her smile.

Yoongi text them all last.

- Well, at least someone's happy, I suppose.

"Are you in with the doctor this afternoon?" Hoseok asked, pausing at the turn for the lift bank.