Chapter 33: Who are you fighting for? Part 2

RECOMMENDED SONG: I'LL STAY BY BLAS CANTÓ

Kuroo wiped the blood dripping from his nose with his forearm and ducked just in time to avoid another blow from the hunter he was fighting, a tall blond guy with glasses and a sarcastic smile on his face.

Damn he's good, Kuroo cursed. I can't beat him, not with this shitty claws.

Kuroo fought the hunters as best he could, but most of his attempts ended in nothing. His claws were weak compared to the last battle, and his fangs weren't as large or sharp as they were when he was still a true alpha. Being a delta was taking its toll on him, as much as he wielded his claws and launched himself to attack enemies, he couldn't kill them without knocking them out first, and that required a much greater effort than his body could bear. He was covered with wounds that didn't heal, he was bleeding from his nose and from several cuts along his entire skin, he had bruises and various parts of his body ached, right where he had received the blows of the bullets bathed in aconite. The bullets had been removed, but the wounds didn't close. He was screwed up and very tired, but he wasn't going to give up that easily. His red eyes glowed dull compared to those of the other alphas, but he could still see perfectly at night. He had an advantage, even more so against the four-eyed hunter he was fighting. He wasn't going to be defeated.

He raised his claws and launched an attack against the hunter's chest, but it failed to break the protective vest he was wearing. The hunter smirked and raised the weapon, but Kuroo pushed him away before he fired and deflected the weapon's shot. The hunter fell to the ground and Kuroo fell on him, claws raised and ready to lower them to slit his throat. However, he was unable to do so, as the hunter struck him in the face with the barrel of the weapon and Kuroo closed his eyes with a yelp. His mouth tasted like metal, blood spurting from his nose. He grew weaker and weaker with each blow. He was so exhausted that getting up off the ground took an enormous effort that nearly used up what little energy he had left.

The hunter aimed with a steady hand and pulled the trigger, but no bullets came out of the rifle, so he threw the weapon to the ground vehemently and drew a knife from the knife holster attached to his thigh. The shiny steel blade gave off a strong monkshood smell that made Kuroo's stomach turn. The hunter lunged at him again, knife raised, but Kuroo was faster. He stepped out of the way to avoid being hit, but still the blade caught the fabric of his shirt, which ripped from top to bottom and slid off the delta's shoulders like an old rag.

Kuroo's torso was bare, the red mark of Oikawa's fangs standing out on his tan skin. The hunter looked at him with raised eyebrows and a sly smile.

"I thought I was fighting an alpha, but I see that I am not. I thought that you were too weak, now I know why. Do we have a delta in love here, by any chance?"

Kuroo took advantage of the distraction as the hunter mocked him to push him back, but this time the hunter wasn't knocked down. He only took a few stumbling steps back before regaining his balance. He looked at Kuroo in annoyance and lunged at him with the raised knife. The blade cut into his shoulder superficially, and Kuroo almost fell to the ground from the burning pain that spread through his body, a burning that reached to the tips of his fingers but that only lasted a few seconds, because in an instant the entire arm was numb. The poison was much stronger than he remembered, but again it could be from his recent delta condition. He backed away in pain with a grunt.

The hunter lunged at him again, his knife ready to swing, his gaze fixed on Kuroo's bare chest, right where his heart was beating. Kuroo stumbled and fell to the ground on his hands.

So this is my end, he told himself. He closed his eyes resigned and tired, waiting for a death that never came.

He opened his eyes again when the waiting time was extended longer than he calculated. Instead of finding the hunter looming over him, he found him paralyzed in the middle of the battlefield, his mouth open in a silent scream that splattered drops of blood everywhere. Kuroo didn't know where the blood came from or what the hell was going on. The hunter himself looked puzzled, wide-eyed behind his glasses. Then Kuroo looked down at the hunter's stomach, where a knife was piercing him from behind. Kuroo felt even more confused at that image until Oikawa came out from behind the young man with the bloody knife in hand.