Epilogue

*8 months later.*

The heat entered Japan with the arrival of summer. It was the second of August, and Bokuto was sweating profusely. His T-shirt was soaked despite the air conditioning, his forehead beaded with sweat and his cheeks burning bright red. Although perhaps the heat was not due to the summer or the humidity.

"Bokkun, stop," Atsumu said from his seat. "You're gonna abrade the floor if you keep walking in circles non-stop."

"How am I going to stop?" Bokuto complained in a shrill voice, still moving. By now he was sure he had traveled no less than two miles circling the room. "If I stop I won't be able to hold out and I'll run into that room and— I-I think my nerves are going to kill me."

"I'm the one who's going to kill you if you don't sit still once and for all," Sakusa growled.

"Why can't I see it? Anyone in my shoes could see it, why can't I?" Bokuto whimpered for the umpteenth time.

A muffled growl came from the other side of the door, and Bokuto started and ran for the door, but stopped just before opening it. He turned and continued walking in circles.

Atsumu sighed. "Because you're hysterical. You'd only hinder Yakkun and Kita-san's work."

"But I want to see it! It's something important for me! Tsum-Tsum, what would you do if you were the one alone in there and Sakusa was waiting out here?"

Bokuto saw Atsumu ducking his head with red ears as his fingertips brushed the fang mark on his shoulder, visible thanks to the tank top he was wearing. Sakusa, sitting next to him, just smirked.

Bokuto smiled too, and for a moment he forgot about his own nerves. He was glad to see Atsumu go back to being himself. When his twin brother died, Atsumu fell into a depression from which at first he seemed unable to get out. He didn't let anyone get near him, but Sakusa never left him alone, and Bokuto couldn't be more glad that Atsumu had found such an alpha. Sakusa hadn't left his side, and it was thanks to him that Atsumu had been able to move on. After months and months of utter sadness, the omega had begun to smile again. And now, almost a year after losing Osamu, Atsumu had regained the sparkle in his eyes.

Sakusa had recently marked him, and while Bokuto knew that no one could replace Osamu, he also knew that Atsumu was grateful to have someone by his side again.

"It's different," Atsumu said in a voice filled with embarrassment. "Omi-kun is calmer than you, he wouldn't bother Yakkun while he's doing his job."

"I wouldn't either if I were in there!" Bokuto said with a pout.

Actually, Bokuto knew he would be a hindrance, Atsumu was right. He was too nervous, so he would only annoy Kita and Yaku and complicate the task. He had to stay in the sidelines, which was why he was walking in circles like crazy. It was the only way he could distract himself —or at least not slam into the adjacent room. But all that self-control of staying out of Yaku's way disappeared when a cry broke the absolute silence of the base. Bokuto heard Atsumu yell at him "wait!", but he had already run towards the door, closed until a second ago. He stormed into the infirmary with the force of a hurricane, but the image that opened before his eyes made him feel weak. His legs trembled while he was still paralyzed in the doorway.

In that room was Akaashi lying on a bed, sweaty and apparently exhausted. His hair was messy, his eyes were closed, and he was shivering despite the August heat and being covered with a white blanket that Kita was taking care of tucking him in with. They didn't seem to have noticed that Bokuto was there, they were too busy for that.

Then Yaku approached Akaashi and he opened his eyes when Yaku placed a small bundle wrapped in a green blanket in his arms. A tiny tired smile appeared on Akaashi's lips.

Bokuto approached them silently, his eyes brimming with happy tears. Akaashi looked up, also tearful, and smiled softly at him. Then they both stared at the baby with pink skin and fine black hair identical to Akaashi's, who was resting in the omega's arms. Bokuto leaned in to place a soft kiss on Akaashi's sweaty forehead and then another on the baby's head.

Akaashi looked at Bokuto tenderly before handing the cub to him. "Take him. He is your son."

Bokuto opened and closed his mouth several times gasping for air, fearful and excited in equal measure. His heart was racing with excitement, so much so that he thought his chest was going to explode. He sat on the edge of the bed and carefully took the little boy in his arms.

"He's a healthy boy," Yaku said, looking at them with a smile. "What are you going to call him?"

Bokuto and Akaashi looked at each other for a second with a smile.

"Kazuki (和希)," Akaashi whispered looking back at the baby.

"It means 'Hope for Peace'," Bokuto added.

Yaku's smile widened even more, Bokuto could see that his eyes were glassy. "We'll leave you alone, this is an important moment for you both," he whispered.

With that said, he and Kita left the room. Bokuto and Akaashi were left alone in the infirmary— or well, almost alone. Now their son was with them.

Little Kazuki moved in Bokuto's arms before opening his eyes, golden irises just like his alpha dad. Bokuto caressed his rosy cheek with the tip of his finger as a tear fell from his eyes.

After everything that happened in the battle of just 9 months ago, the surviving werewolves took it upon themselves to prove that their nature wasn't that of ruthless killers, but that it had all been a charade created by hunters. During the pregnancy, and with the intention of creating a better world for his son, Akaashi worked at a frantic pace to send all the documents of the Gamma Case to the Government of Japan, which had been in charge of completely dismantling the Hunters Guild and prohibiting the hunting of the lycanthropes that were still alive.

There was still much to do, they still had to fight for the equality of humans and lycanthropes until the latter could integrate into society like any other human. But with the Hunters Guild gone and the war over, things would be simpler. Bokuto had no doubt about it.

Bokuto Kazuki was the first ray of light in a world that had just opened up to hope.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a look at the Author's note!