Chapter 11: Ghosts of the Past

Iwaizumi grimaced when he heard Suga's disturbed and frustrated complaints, screaming loudly and cursing Kiyoko as several hunters tried to restrain him so he wouldn't make a considerable fuss right there. But it was clear that they were failing miserably in their mission to calm him down.

He's unbearable, Iwaizumi thought. He had never been particularly fond of his partner. He was too impertinent, he made too risky decisions blinded by foolishness. And that's why now he was in such bad shape.

Suga was alive, fighting like always; he was pissed off, much more than Iwaizumi had ever seen him. His face was bandaged, and under the bandages there were more than 30 stitches trying to hold together the flesh that Kiyoko had lacerated using her claws with great precision. Suga had lost 80% of the vision in his right eye and when he healed, his face would show an ugly and deep claw scar, a war wound that would remain with him forever and for which Iwaizumi had no doubts he would claim revenge when he got the chance. In addition, he also had scratches and cuts all over the rest of the body. And despite this, his condition was not the worst.

Akaashi, one of the  two captains who had accompanied them, had escaped unpunished, only an occasional blow or a slight scratch. On the other hand, the second captain who had accompanied them was in very bad shape: Lev Haiba, a young man of Russian descent with green eyes, platinum blonde hair, and the strength of a lion. He was tall, and although he wasn't very stocky, he was agile and fast. But now he was admitted to the hospital full of wounds, cuts, scratches, bruises and with a lung punctured by the cut of a survival knife. Whoever had hit him like that was skilled with a weapon and knew exactly what they were doing; the beta Lev had faced had come to kill. According to Lev, he was a small boy, with blond hair but black roots, as if it had been bleached in a very poor way; furthermore, Lev had said that the beta moved faster than his own brain could process and that his eyes showed a murderous glint, like those of a cat ready to tear its prey apart. Iwaizumi thought he was hallucinating due to the pain relievers the doctors had put on him, so he had left the hospital room to let him rest.

The situation was not conducive, and Iwaizumi understood why Suga was so angry: on one hand they were relieved, since all the hunters who had been sent had returned from the secondary attack on Oikawa's territory. Kageyama had given part of their performance in the place: they had finished with the betas and omegas that were there. There were few left alive who had hid. They hadn't been able to find them, but their bodies were filled with bullets and Matsukawa had claimed that they must have died of poison shortly after they left. The four captains who had come, that is, Kageyama, Tsukishima, Futakuchi and Matsukawa had returned in perfect conditions, without a single scratch, the same as the common soldiers of their squads.

On the other hand, from the main attack two days ago, only 36 hunters had returned out of the more than 80 who had come to the territory of the black-haired alpha. They were less than half. They had killed quite a few betas and had injured most of the alphas. But Iwaizumi was not satisfied, since his personal desire had been frustrated because of that man, that alpha who had protected his true target: Oikawa. He would have another moment to go after him now that he had found him, yes, but he had missed a golden opportunity.

Iwaizumi gritted his teeth and felt a stabbing pain in the bones of his cheeks, but he didn't care. He thought about how he would come up with a different plan and this time he would succeed in killing Oikawa, whatever it was the cost. He just had to wait for his broken nose to heal, for all the blows and bruises on his body to let him move again with agility without feeling the pain of a thousand needles digging into his joints, for his leg to stop hurting so he could return to walk without crutches. He had been operated urgently to remove the bullets as soon as he had arrived at the hospital and they had given him a blood transfusion to alleviate the loss of blood due to the wound. His femoral artery had been pierced, and the wound could have been fatal if they had not acted swiftly. He had narrowly been saved. But he had not consented to remain admitted to the hospital, claiming that he had a lot of accumulated work and emphasizing the fact that, if they were not the ones who killed them, the lycanthropes would end up taking over the world. The doctors had let him go somewhat reluctant but frightened by the implacable statements of the young commander.