Chapter 19: Scared little boy

RECOMMENDED SONG: DEMONS BY JACOB LEE

"So you have a twin brother."

"Yeah, his name's Osamu. Although I call him Samu," Atsumu said with some nostalgia.

"Is he an omega too?"

"No, a beta."

Kita nodded. He was a year older than Atsumu, a quiet and serious boy who belonged to Sakusa's pack. He was an omega, but much more diligent than Atsumu, it could be seen from the league. He was one of the first to join Sakusa, having previously belonged to Ushijima's pack, the first the alpha had mastered. Now he was in charge of tending to the wounded in battles, just as Yaku did in Kuroo's pack or Yahaba in Oikawa's. But in Kita's case it was different: the omega had warned him that being wounded in a battle under Sakusa's command was not very common, so that was not his main mission.

Atsumu looked at Kita in admiration as he sorted through small vials of medicine. The boy was shorter than him but he was strong, fearless and determined. He was independent, and although that might be strange for an omega —frustrating even— Atsumu, after spending almost two months with Sakusa as his alpha, had realized that the rules that governed the rest of the packs did not work in Sakusa's. They were said to be the most aggressive pack in Japan, but reality didn't fit that either: most were well-trained lycanthropes, lethal in battle, yes, but they didn't kill for no reason. The only one who did it was Sakusa, and he only killed hunters who dared to approach his territory, though Atsumu still didn't know why he did so if they didn't attack first.

Atsumu had already met all the members of the pack, Sakusa had introduced them to him just days after Atsumu joined them. The 37 betas were impressive and it was clear that they obeyed the alpha unopposed. With sharp, searching gazes that seemed to read everything one thought, they all seemed level-headed, intelligent, and committed; there was a feeling of unity, of harmony between them, something that gave Atsumu chills at first but later aroused a deep fascination in him.

On the other hand, the omegas were strong, the strongest Atsumu had ever known. There were only two in such a large pack, Kita and Shirabu, trained in battle to attack with the same power and lethality as a beta. Cold, calculating, and reserved, they were the complete opposite of Atsumu: irrational and stubborn. Atsumu still did not understand what his purpose was in that pack, he did not fit the profile of werewolves that Sakusa had gathered. So he kept thinking that his only use there was on a whim of his alpha, although he had yet to figure out which one it was.

"I have a question, Kita-san," Atsumu said in a small voice. "It's a bit of a personal question."

"Does it have to do with the pack?"

"Yeah, I'd say so."

"Then go ahead, ask. That's what you're here for."

Atsumu considered his words before speaking. He was nervous, he had wanted to ask that for a long time, but now that he was really facing the situation, his nerves and shame were consuming him. How could he ask such a daring question? It was out of place, even thinking about asking was a mistake.

"Atsumu?" Kita called him with a condescending look. Atsumu looked at him with eyes wider than usual, as if he had been taken by surprise. "Are you okay? You seem anxious, what's wrong?"

"I just... I don't know how to ask this," Atsumu stammered, biting his lip.

"Just do it. Sakusa brought you here with me so you could be able to ask what you wanted and learn how to live in this pack."

"I know that, it's just..."

"Atsumu," Kita said with such a calm and relaxed tone that it was threatening.