Chapter 32: Who are you fighting for? Part 1

RECOMMENDED SONG: WARRIOR BY NINA SUBLATTI

Akaashi was still shaking. He hadn't stopped shaking in the last 18 hours actually, but he masked the shudders by keeping busy at all times. He was going from one place to another, trying to stay focused on something like for example the commotion present in the hunters' barracks, the war that was going to break out in less than two hours or Suga's growing fury when he discovered that Daichi, Hanamaki and Suna didn't show up for their genetic testing and had  disappeared without a trace. But more often than not, Yaku's words echoed in his head again: "You are pregnant, Akaashi." Every time he remembered the black and white image on the screen, his hand would fly to his own abdomen, but he quickly withdrew it as if it burned. A part of himself, the part that listened to his omega instincts, told him that a cub was good news; the other part of his being, the rational part of the hunter, told him that all this was just an added problem, a new difficulty much more complex to overcome than the previous ones. And now he was marching on his way to Sakusa territory, towards Takefukuro, along with all the military squads —a total of 20 among the 32 from the Hunters Guild. They were going straight for the few remaining packs in Japan with the intention of exterminating them, of laying waste to everything. And yet Akaashi's biggest concern was the life growing inside him.

Military trucks carrying extra weapons traveled alongside hunters who marched on foot. Akaashi led his own squad as Captain, and he in turn was led by his Commander, a furious Suga who thundered his steps and gnashed his teeth in anger. They all carried their weapons at the ready, securely fastened and pressed to their chests as they trotted around the outskirts on their way to their destination in Takefukuro. Akaashi was tired but his tense body didn't give way; the strong smell of aconite around him made him want to vomit; the furious footsteps of all the hunters around him echoed in his ears like a melody of death. It was the chronicle of a death foretold. He was scared, more than ever. All the hunters distrusted their own companions, the uncertainty increased every moment, with every step they took. No one knew if someone could stab them in the back. The solid union of yore was shattered in a flash by a single lycanthrope that Suga inadvertently made a martyr to all other werewolves, including Akaashi. When Suga announced at the hunter barracks that very  morning that Miya Osamu was a lycanthrope and that he took it upon himself to give him a proper death, Akaashi knew exactly what he had done: the Commander's smile gave no doubt that he exposed the beta as if he were a carnival monkey. And since that announcement, all the hunters were irascible and hostile, they had been humiliated by someone whom they considered a companion but who had actually turned out to be their staunch enemy.

Akaashi couldn't even imagine the outcome of that battle. As the sun set and the hundreds of hunters advanced like a troop, Akaashi could only think about Bokuto. If he would have been able to alert the others, if the werewolves would be ready to do their best before falling under the poisonous effect of wolfsbane. What's more, would he and his cub be able to survive? Even without being injured with aconite, just smelling it so closely was making him sick.

Akaashi sighed and looked ahead. He needed to focus on himself and on overcoming the problems he would face in the immediate future: his own death.

Iwaizumi appeared in his field of vision and stood next to Suga. Akaashi pricked up his ears to hear the conversation, although with all the noise it was a bit difficult for him to understand the words.

"... your prey will be an easy target," Suga said with a nasty smile.

"I'm not so sure. He's been able to elude me all these years. Who says he won't do it again?"

"I'm a better hunter than you," Suga replied boastfully. "I'll kill him if necessary. I don't plan on leaving a fucking lycanthrope alive. After killing the alphas and betas, I'll go find the omegas."