I

I heard someone in the woods, I had been out hunting, but I caught the scent of someone else, a vampire, in the woods. It was a scent I hadn't smelled before, so I decided to follow. I could tell it was a new vampire. Whoever it was, couldn't control their speed very well yet. It wasn't hard for me to catch up. I saw the girl standing at the edge of the falls.

She turned to face me, at first I thought it was Katerina. But I could tell she was scared and confused, not a 500 year old murderous vampire. It was Elena Gilbert. My brothers doppelgänger. She couldn't have been more than a few minutes old (as a vampire) because she had been running into trees the whole way. I watched silently from behind a tree as the girl started to cry uncontrollably. I remember the first day of heightened emotions. Besides massacring a entire village or two, I had actually broke down. After feeling weak from crying I had turned off my humanity, which had remained off ever since.

I saw the desperate girl the break a branch off of a tree and hold it, ready to pierce her own heart. I acted before I could think. I ran up to the girl, threw the makeshift stake away from her and held her arms from behind so that she could not attack. She cried even louder.

"I didn't want this! I was supposed to die!" She screamed into the night. I noticed she didn't have a daylight ring and the sun was about to come up. After a minute of screaming and crying she finally began to notice someone was holding her. Her cries softened.

For the first time in a thousand years, I turned my humanity on. I actually felt something. Empathy and sorrow for the girl who was going through the exact same thing I had once gone through. For once, I didn't feel like killing, I felt like helping.

Slowly she turned around to face whomever was holding her and had stopped her from killing herself.

"Kol?" She asked in a disbelieving tone.

"Hello, love." I said with a smirk.

"Why- why did you stop me?" She was still catching her breath. I couldn't just tell her that I decided to turn on my humanity for the first time in a thousand years, could I?

"Couldn't let you just go and kill yourself." I told her truthfully. She just looked at me.

"Why?" She pressed.

"Because I have gone though the exact same thing, love?" I said before I could stop myself. What was this girl doing to me. I was feeling, everything.

"So you have had two people who you thought cared about you force you to drink human blood when you didn't want to complete the transition?" She asked sarcastically.

"Actually, yes. That's exactly what my parents did, darling." She looked at me with remorse.

"I forgot, I'm sorry. But you didn't want to go through with the transition?" She asked nervously. The wind was blowing quite hard and I could hear the thunder in the distance.

"No, but I didn't have any choice, love, and I didn't know what the outcome would be like. Now what happened to you?" I couldn't help but watch the tears start streaming down her face again, this time with no noise. I hadn't even realized my arms were still on her sides. But if she hadn't noticed yet, I wasn't about to move them.

"I died in a car accident. I had been in the hospital the day before and the doctor had given me Damon's blood to heal me. When I woke up I was in transition. I told them I wasn't going to go through with it. The next thing I know, Stefan was holding me down while Damon poured blood down my throat. As soon as that happened, I ran here. I wanted to kill myself, I still do. I never wanted to be like this." I immediately wanted to go rips some hearts out or maybe tear off some limbs. This girl caused me to turn my humanity back on, there was no way I was going to let her die.

"Listen to me. You do not want to kill yourself. You will not attempt to kill yourself. You will accept what you are and want to learn. You will not turn your humanity off. And you will not remember that I ever compelled you." I spoke clearly, looking into her eyes.

"I will not kill myself." She repeated in a monotone. She then closed her eyes and opened them again, not realizing what just happened. It had worked.